Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Name The Ground

Zico

On 18/08/2022 at 22:58, Mannyroader said:

Helm still going. He is currently doing commentary for the women's U-20 World Cup in Costa Rica. He works for FIFA and did the last World Cup in Russia for them along with Ian Darke and Paul Dempsey. Can still be prone to giving Yarksher a mention.

I had some dealings with him at work a few months ago. I was a little starstruck tbh. 

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Zico said:

It is 

Never seen that before 

Only memory I have of old Stamford Bridge is cars parked up behind the goals

Only thing giving it away as Chelsea for me were the goal nets!

Always liked seeing old photos of Stamford Bridge it looked really unusual with the mish mash stands and cars parked up etc

19 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Only thing giving it away as Chelsea for me were the goal nets!

Always liked seeing old photos of Stamford Bridge it looked really unusual with the mish mash stands and cars parked up etc

Always made it a crap ground for goal celebrations/limbs on the telly.

Clubs that did seem to hold a better gravitas to me. 

Obviously Chelsea was tasty as, and the shed would've been mental but never stirs anything for me.

Compare that to say Leeds when it would be limbs every week on MOTD. Even Coventry was ace.

Hate the way cameras at Burnden used to pan the lever end instead of the paddock or MRN.

41 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Always made it a crap ground for goal celebrations/limbs on the telly.

Clubs that did seem to hold a better gravitas to me. 

Obviously Chelsea was tasty as, and the shed would've been mental but never stirs anything for me.

Compare that to say Leeds when it would be limbs every week on MOTD. Even Coventry was ace.

Hate the way cameras at Burnden used to pan the lever end instead of the paddock or MRN.

Yeah when I see photos of the old away end there (I say old, think it was still there until at least 2 seasons after PL started) it was an Italian style curve well away from the pitch!

Mid 90s MOTD for me was always about seeing these old grounds being upgraded and the ends behind nets having big boards covering the work up instead, like that crowd painting at Arsenal 😃

I need to revisit the early 90s Roadrunner DVDs, always seem to remember no matter the size of our away followings the celebrations looked insane

3 hours ago, Zico said:

Am sure this is dead easy for the elders but never seen this before and it looks mental 

uryWTfM.jpg

Unhappy memories of that stand........in the early 70's we played at Chelsea in a night match in the league cup & by all accounts ( i was too young to go ) Bolton gave Chelsea fans a pasting but then we drew them in the FA Cup & Chelsea were waiting for revenge.  It was quite scary, Bolton fans got clobbered  & at one point I'm pretty sure i was under that stand trying to keep safe......there were some bruised faces on the special going back from Euston !!

A few years later  we had another bad time on that end ( but I think the odd stand had gone by then ) when we won 1-0 & Siddall ?? saved a late penalty which really pissed them off.

Happy days

Just now, bolton va va said:

Unhappy memories of that stand........in the early 70's we played at Chelsea in a night match in the league cup & by all accounts ( i was too young to go ) Bolton gave Chelsea fans a pasting but then we drew them in the FA Cup & Chelsea were waiting for revenge.  It was quite scary, Bolton fans got clobbered  & at one point I'm pretty sure i was under that stand trying to keep safe......there were some bruised faces on the special going back from Euston !!

A few years later  we had another bad time on that end ( but I think the odd stand had gone by then ) when we won 1-0 & Siddall ?? saved a late penalty which really pissed them off.

Happy days

Remember it well , a three nil defeat & bit of a pasting although I did complete my greatest ever uppercut on one of Chelsea’s finest .The sound of his teeth thundering together Iives in my memory, even though the rest was a downhill battering down the terraces.

10 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Remember it well , a three nil defeat & bit of a pasting although I did complete my greatest ever uppercut on one of Chelsea’s finest .The sound of his teeth thundering together Iives in my memory, even though the rest was a downhill battering down the terraces.

Ha ha,  .... when it started getting very nasty , for safety i went & stood next to an official looking bloke in a white coat. I don't know who was more surprised, him when he saw he had a weird kid stood next to him or me, when he turned round & had something like "Chelsea Axe Men " written on the back of his coat. Butcher's coats weren't a thing in the north & never really caught on but a few cockneys wore them.

29 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

Happy days

Remember all 3 games - interesting times then!!