Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Name The Ground

Zico

9 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

That stand used to be 2 or 3 times that size and went further round to the right as you look. My dad used to go there in the 50s/60s watching BWFC when he lived down there. Sure I’ve got some old photos of his somewhere from back in the day

It was an awful mish-mash.

Like they always had a wish to make it a complete bowl al-la Wembley, but only had money bits at a time. Then they built that huge, 3 tier 'modern' stand in the 80's which came close to making them go bust. It stood out like a sore thumb surrounded by all that other shite. Only if they built another 3 sections would it have worked & they were broke.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

It was an awful mish-mash.

Like they always had a wish to make it a complete bowl al-la Wembley, but only had money bits at a time. Then they built that huge, 3 tier 'modern' stand in the 80's which came close to making them go bust. It stood out like a sore thumb surrounded by all that other shite. Only if they built another 3 sections would it have worked & they were broke.

Yeh, I remember when Simon Inglis published his football ground guide in the early 80s he commented that Chelsea's big stand was unlikely to be repeated anywhere else in the future! His crystal ball must have been in for its MOT that day.

On the subject of big stands, by all accounts you can see Liverpool's big redeveloped main stand from inside Goodison. I suspect you could be inside either Notts County's ground or Forest's and see a bit of the other on the opposite bank of the Trent. Any other grounds where you could see someone else's if you were inside yours? Obviously most of the new "bowl" type ones are likely out as there'd be no gaps...

3 minutes ago, SatanGreavsie said:

Any other grounds where you could see someone else's if you were inside yours?

Maybe Dundee & Dundee United. I know they're on the same street.

As an alternative, if you look through the North West corner gap at Stokes's ground you can see the 1950's.

5 minutes ago, Underpants said:

Oi! I'm Ted Undies 😁

I have been to this ground. They no longer play here.

Aye. I know. Couldn’t resist 😀

First one I’ve ever got so early

i put it on a thread a while ago. Went there late 80s for an FA Cup game that we lost. No idea where we were going when we saw a hire company Luton van with roller shutter doors and an 0204 number on the side and followed it. Parked up and about 30 Bolton not-rights piled out the back into the back streets right next to the ground 

9 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Aye. I know. Couldn’t resist 😀

First one I’ve ever got so early

i put it on a thread a while ago. Went there late 80s for an FA Cup game that we lost. No idea where we were going when we saw a hire company Luton van with roller shutter doors and an 0204 number on the side and followed it. Parked up and about 30 Bolton not-rights piled out the back into the back streets right next to the ground 

The transit we were in got pulled by the Police on the way to that match. Beer crates and two planks of wood for seats. Cops just sent us on our way. Think they were taken aback by the stench of 2 hours worth of beer farts when they opened the back up.

jQqpqF5.jpeg