Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Name The Ground

Zico

5 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

The Valley

👎

32 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

That terrace reminds me of the old Den at Millwall but the badge on the keepers shirt and those red socks with the yellow trim have me totally confused 

Not the Den 👎

Home team in red.

T3Hukoy.jpeg

Edited by Underpants

6 minutes ago, Mannyroader said:

Square goalpost?

The match is Queens Park Vs Kilmarnock. It was the home team (QP) who had to change strip if there was a colour clash. Apparently it was common back then. Something to do with amateur teams playing professional teams. Don't know how true that is 🤔

5 hours ago, Underpants said:

The match is Queens Park Vs Kilmarnock. It was the home team (QP) who had to change strip if there was a colour clash. Apparently it was common back then. Something to do with amateur teams playing professional teams. Don't know how true that is 🤔

This week I saw a highlights show of the 1973 FA Cup tie Derby v Leeds and Derby wore all blue and Leeds all red. Brian Moore was commentator and bemoaning the fact that viewers with black and white TVs would struggle to tell them apart. BTW, Toddy was outstanding  for Derby - a true class act.

Anyone remember an FA Cup tie at Burnden v Preston in the 60s, I think? We played in red shirts, white shorts and Preston wore yellow shirts and blue shorts.

It used to be the case that there was no home and away teams in the FA Cup; the draw just determined the venue.

Edited by Mannyroader
Speling

Like this thread, you get some fantastic bots of trivia from days gone by.

Went to Maine rd one time City were playing Spurs, Spurs in the usual white shirts however it was maybe early January with a low sun and a particularly pale City strip that season.

Ref stopped the game and players went off, City had to come back on in the black & red striped kit.

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Whitestar said:

Like this thread, you get some fantastic bots of trivia from days gone by.

Went to Maine rd one time City were playing Spurs, Spurs in the usual white shirts however it was maybe early January with a low sun and a particularly pale City strip that season.

Ref stopped the game and players went off, City had to come back on in the black & red striped kit.

Ref making an excuse for not seeing players? Makes a change from United’s players.

3 hours ago, Mannyroader said:

This week I saw a highlights show of the 1973 FA Cup tie Derby v Leeds and Derby wore all blue and Leeds all red. Brian Moore was commentator and bemoaning the fact that viewers with black and white TVs would struggle to tell them apart. BTW, Toddy was outstanding  for Derby - a true class act.

Anyone remember an FA Cup tie at Burnden v Preston in the 60s, I think? We played in red shirts, white shorts and Preston wore yellow shirts and blue shorts.

It used to be the case that there was no home and away teams in the FA Cup; the draw just determined the venue.

I was at the Preston game and we drew then lost the replay 

It used to be that Preston, referred to as 'Proud Preston' who had gone a whole season unbeaten ... possibly won every match ... were rewarded by being given the honour of never having to change their strips. In a clash it was always the opposition who had to change.

That held good into the 60's.

Edited by Dr. Feelgood

17 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

I’m sure that you’ve said that before. Maybe not on this thread?

Eastville?

👎 Been twice to Eastville and lasted the duration both times.

Clue 2 (it may help) Easily in the top 5 grounds that I've visited the most.

Edited by Underpants