Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Stevenage (A) 21st November

Mantra

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

I agree and include Baptiste in that now he has a keeper behind him he has confidence in.

Not sure I’d fancy Delaney or Baptiste in L1 and def wouldn’t fancy Gilks but let’s get there first before deciding. More than good enough at L2

I thought that was Baptiste’s best game this season (ok he’s not set a good standard) I’m that pissed now I can’t remember but he made a cracking pass at the start of one of our goals 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, victor meldrew said:

no one can say the second half performance was good enough.

great save by gilks , if it had gone in i think my prediction would have happened.

long way to go before this team is getting promoted.

sorry to piss on  some peoples chips.

If it had gone in.

prediction might have happened.

Sodding hell, that's why we have a keeper. So it didn't.

I predict within 5 years a small meteorite will land on the earth, somewhere. 

If it lands on someone's house, it might kill them. But it might not.

27 minutes ago, superkev said:

They had two decent efforts today. Scored one and one was saved. That’ll do from an away game

Agree .

The work rate kept there chances to a minimum keep most teams to a couple of chances on target and free kicks there not going to score many against us 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

If it had gone in.

prediction might have happened.

Sodding hell, that's why we have a keeper. So it didn't.

I predict within 5 years a small meteorite will land on the earth, somewhere. 

If it lands on someone's house, it might kill them. But it might not.

until last week we didn't have a keeper.

as someone else said ,if gilks had played the previous 6 games we would be in a play off position, thats hind sight ,

it's the same thing.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

For too many saturdays over the last 3 or 4 years, I’ve felt like shit and wanted football away from my thoughts. Makes so much difference when we win no matter how we play.

Still not back in love with the game but a few wins and I’ll grow back into it.

We’re Bolton Wanderers, we’re on our way back

Towd thi.

• Members
57 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

That's just the level we're at. I think Santos and Delaney are up there with the best in this league.

Granted I’ve not seen other games in this league but I’d put my neck on the line and say they are up there with the best in the league 

1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

Depends how they do it. If we have 3 looking for the ball, the opposition have 3 looking to press, a quick long ball to out 2 up top while they have 3 up field, if we win the knock down, we can break.

All about making the right decisions quickly enough

Think you are probably right. In the second half as we were taking our time we were not playing the quick long balls. It was not helping to take pressure off. 

1 hour ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

That's just the level we're at. I think Santos and Delaney are up there with the best in this league.

And judging by last season not much better below top 10 of Div 1, defensively.

Only criticism I'd have of both is why do they never look like scoring?  They can win headers, and we get plenty of corners, but only Baptiste ever seems to get a header on target.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, desperado said:

I thought that was Baptiste’s best game this season (ok he’s not set a good standard) I’m that pissed now I can’t remember but he made a cracking pass at the start of one of our goals 

Agreed. He looked sharper today than he ever has. He's benefiting from the experienced keeper and defence around him. Like Santos and Delaney he's always got a slip up in him but he was much better today.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, victor meldrew said:

no one can say the second half performance was good enough.

great save by gilks , if it had gone in i think my prediction would have happened.

long way to go before this team is getting promoted.

sorry to piss on  some peoples chips.

You won't, no fucker listens anyway 😂

37 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

And judging by last season not much better below top 10 of Div 1, defensively.

Only criticism I'd have of both is why do they never look like scoring?  They can win headers, and we get plenty of corners, but only Baptiste ever seems to get a header on target.

I wouldn't judge Delaney on last season. They'd probably have scored by now if our set piece delivery was better.

Useless but interesting stat.  All 4 wins have been achieved after scoring the 1st goal by the 24th minute (3 by Doyle).   Compared to our 3 home defeats where all 3 opponents have won the game in the 2nd half.  Its great to get an early lead but I feel that we need to show we can grow stronger as the game goes on, we seem to tire after an hour or so.  I don't care if we score in the 1st minute or the 95th if we win but I'd love us to boss a game in the 2nd half.

2 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

It won't stop me getting carried away because we beat Salford last week, but it's probably worth bearing in mind that Stevenage are shit

I've said there's hardly any difference between top and bottom in this league, but yes I agree Stevenage are worse than anything we've seen yet.  Grimsby probably the 2nd worst of the games I've watched.

Thought we made hard work of it against a poor team ... but on the other hand it was good to see us grind out a result without playing particularly well.

Felt like we were hanging on a bit, without letting them create any real chances, something we were incapable of doing up until a couple of weeks ago.

It's also a much nicer feeling to be looking up the table rather than over our shoulders.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I've said there's hardly any difference between top and bottom in this league, but yes I agree Stevenage are worse than anything we've seen yet.  Grimsby probably the 2nd worst of the games I've watched.

Stevenage should have gone down last season but for Macc. They are shit. Still got to win your battles though