Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Southend

desperado

52 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

I've obviously seen goals disallowed, I'm sure I've seen us have 2 disallowed though can't recall when. But 4. That's got to be a record.

I certainly can’t remember us ever having 4 “goals” chalked off for offside before. Shame, cos a 7-0 win would have been great 😂

5 minutes ago, desperado said:

You might be right. But he didn’t correct him 

he did not straight away but it’s one man and is dog commentary there sat in the stands watching it like we would be they don’t have sky cameras covering every angle so would give them a pass on stuff like that it was a one off 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

White made a cracking tackle on the edge of our box after a Southend corner early in the 2nd half but did little else. Bringing him on seemed to put Sarce and Ali out their stride but if the get to trust him, it won’t be a problem. Down to White now to prove he’s up to the job.

He got better for me as he settled in. Looked nervy initially, and played some short passes.

Still not great, but not hiding either.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Still not finishing some great moves off and making things more comfortable. 

Possible signs of 3 games in 8 days; Santos stretching at the end for example.

Crawford frustrating again, missed Tutte, Fonz better than I've seen him, Doyle looked sharp.

Two lads on the right looking really impressive together, a pity that Jones doesn't have a left foot to balance that side, but he still does a good job.

Some credit to Southend; worked hard and made it difficult, but perhaps ran out of steam late on.

Well done, have a rest and go again.

He only blasted one or two over the bar today. Does that mean he's easing off on the shoot on sight mentality?

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Farnywhite said:

he did not straight away but it’s one man and is dog commentary there sat in the stands watching it like we would be they don’t have sky cameras covering every angle so would give them a pass on stuff like that it was a one off 

1 hour ago, jules_darby said:

I think the Scottish commentator is alright TBF

Best one on it for me

Perhaps this Covid is making me grumpy! It’s not my style to criticise, especially local guys (or Scottish)  who are behind us. I’ll concede I was unfair, even though I was disagreeing with nearly every sentence they said.

I predicted 3-0 today, albeit I’d preferred a more convincing performance, I thought  3/0 flattered us. We are looking good, hope Tutte comes back soon. EIEIEIO

3 hours ago, paulhanley said:

Haven't been able to see the game today but it feels like we've done that without getting out of second gear. The two strikers notching again is great to see.

Being in the top half of a table on a great run is a good feeling. We are a proper, normal football club again. Even though it's League 2.

That's a good point.  If we had a fear pre-Salford of getting dragged into a relegation battle and that we hadn't yet reached rock bottom, I would say this is now the first time we've felt stable, as a club and team.  We are no longer on a downward slide and looking up instead of down for the first time in years.

3 hours ago, jules_darby said:

That's the key for me - the constant talking and organisation

Perhaps we should pray for no return of crowds up here :D

As much as getting a keeper in Jan is a priority, its difficult to imagine we are going to get one better than Gilks.  That may mean they aren't coming in with a guarantee of being 1st choice, which could narrow our options.  Lonegan is arguably on a par ability and experience wise, but its a tough call because we could end up weakening the team in the short term if Gilks has to go back to coaching to give games to the new keeper. 

29 minutes ago, desperado said:

Perhaps this Covid is making me grumpy! It’s not my style to criticise, especially local guys (or Scottish)  who are behind us. I’ll concede I was unfair, even though I was disagreeing with nearly every sentence they said.

I predicted 3-0 today, albeit I’d preferred a more convincing performance, I thought  3/0 flattered us. We are looking good, hope Tutte comes back soon. EIEIEIO

Your opinion is as valid as anyone else’s pal

Plenty of us grumpy on here in spells 

after the last decade we have every right to be

mind you how’s our regular Evatt out enthusiast @hughmungus feeling tonight? 😁

3 hours ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

White is nothing on Tutte but he did OK after a dodgy nervous five minutes. Sarc and Crawford completely off their game today. Baptiste MOTM by a mile.

Any news on Tutte?

Baptiste MOM because of his 2 assists and played well, fair enough, but nobody on the pitch played better than Santos, as usual.  Men against boys when he goes to challenge, it feels like he's taken for granted now and so not commented on but he's on a different level to everyone else.

I thought Sarcevic was excellent without quite getting the reward for all his effort. 

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

Your opinion is as valid as anyone else’s pal

Plenty of us grumpy on here in spells 

after the last decade we have every right to be

mind you how’s our regular Evatt out enthusiast @hughmungus feeling tonight? 😁

TBF I’ve tried listening to the alternative commentary, but I always put them back on 😂.

As for @hughmungus he’s out there searching for the negative vibes, I’m sure he’ll be back soon to share his nuggets of wisdom.

I’m absolutely buzzing about our turn of good fortune, it feels good again to be a Bolton fan. COYFWM 👏

3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

That's what I thought Tutte had done. He gave the 'I'm fucked' signal straight away. Hope its not too bad.

Assuming he's not back next match, does IE have to think about a slight change of formation/method of play to compensate, rather than expecting White just to take over and perform as well.

I'd be gobsmacked if White isnt the replacement; he came on at 0-0, wasn't terrible, we won 3-0.  IE will make as few changes to formation and line up as possible.  Personally I would have Isgrove (looked decent today) or the under used Darcy in there because they cover more ground, look to pass forward rather than side and back, are comfortable in possession and are sharp and alert.  White doesn't have any of those qualities and I don't see anything that he does better than them.