Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Southend

desperado

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, hughmungus said:

Didn’t see the game, but were Southend as bad as the result suggests ?

27 minutes ago, hughmungus said:

Seemed a genuine question based on the 3-0 result to ask about the opposition.

I’ll join you flask carrying, blanket wearing happy clappers when i can see a genuine long standing improvement in the team and the way they play. Far from convinced yet though as we are one injury away from it all falling to bits.

How will you deduce that our playing technique and style have improved sufficiently for you to make an effort?  After all,  us flask carrying, blanket wearing happy clappers obviously only see good in a winning team so you're not going to take our word for it.

27 minutes ago, hughmungus said:

Seemed a genuine question based on the 3-0 result to ask about the opposition.

I’ll join you flask carrying, blanket wearing happy clappers when i can see a genuine long standing improvement in the team and the way they play. Far from convinced yet though as we are one injury away from it all falling to bits.

we are in lge 2 most teams are one injury from it all falling apart....I like most on here hope Evatt can see that.

Evatt said the could be room for 4 more come January, every man and his dog on here would say we need a Back up keeper, a decent lwb a tough tackling centre midfielder and another poacher to come in if Doyle is unfit.

We will be reet

Crack a smile

9 hours ago, Traf said:

Southend came with a game plan, 2 banks of five with a mustn't concede approach. It worked for virtually all of the first half. We had to be very patient to knock it around waiting for a gap to appear. The problem was that a lot of our passing was sloppy.

I don't like White as his first instinct is to go backwards and I'd be inclined to give Darcy or Thomasson a go. Tutte will be missed if out for long.

Baptiste is playing very well, as of course is Santos. Delaney is steady and I've no issue with him not marauding up the pitch.

Doyle/Fonz partnership coming on nicely.

All in all, a most satisfactory afternoon. Can't wait for Derby Away next season.

I cant think of any player we've had that plays as "safe" as White except maybe the awful Keith Andrews.  Its one thing looking to go sideways or backwards, but even those passes never seem to be more than 5 yards, and are hit too deliberately with a lack of pace and zip.  Crawford isn't playing well but in comparison he does everything at pace, his passes at least aim to get the receiver on the front foot, not having to make it into a good ball.  White tried 2 forward passes, one excitedly pointed out by Henshaw in the 1st half and the 2nd an awful attempt to put someone in behind the defender in the 2nd.  That was a day he played OK, we've seen what he can offer and its not as if he wins tackles to justify playing as a defensive mid, its plainly not enough when you're leaving better players out.

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I cant think of any player we've had that plays as "safe" as White except maybe the awful Keith Andrews.  Its one thing looking to go sideways or backwards, but even those passes never seem to be more than 5 yards, and are hit too deliberately with a lack of pace and zip.  Crawford isn't playing well but in comparison he does everything at pace, his passes at least aim to get the receiver on the front foot, not having to make it into a good ball.  White tried 2 forward passes, one excitedly pointed out by Henshaw in the 1st half and the 2nd an awful attempt to put someone in behind the defender in the 2nd.  That was a day he played OK, we've seen what he can offer and its not as if he wins tackles to justify playing as a defensive mid, its plainly not enough when you're leaving better players out.

A poor mans Phil Nevlle......Never ever thought i would see one of those

Edited by masi 51

3 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

Delaney doesn’t have to go marauding up the pitch Traf, just move into the space in front of him to move our whole line up instead of just staying where he is and looking to hump the ball forward. It’s difficult enough for Jones but he doesn’t get the same support from Delaney that Kioso does from Baps.

Not sure Delaney played left back at any point in his career, Baptiste has played full back for a good chunk of his.

A few times when yon commentary fella was saying delaney should push up, baptiste was already pushed forwards. i'm quite happy if delaney and Santos dont go past the halfway line in open play.

It does feel good to be picking minor niggles from a winning performance rather than trying to be Sammy Lee and find positives from a shite match

5 hours ago, MickyD said:

How will you deduce that our playing technique and style have improved sufficiently for you to make an effort?  After all,  us flask carrying, blanket wearing happy clappers obviously only see good in a winning team so you're not going to take our word for it.

Check mate👍

22 hours ago, DazBob said:

Regarding the Bolton FM / iFollow commentary, Henshaw does labour a point, but I thought he was spot on today. There was always room ahead of Delaney and Baptiste for them to venture into, and whenever they did it created opportunities.

I'd agree with that, I'd no problem with what he was saying, Evatt said similar after the game, the spaces were there for the outside central defenders to stride into and draw players out to meet them, freeing up space for others to make use of. For 25-30 mins first half it was painful, receive ball, stop, go sideways or back. When that was also White's first thought we looked without a clue of how to open them up.

First goal came from the first such foray from Baptiste, a few words about it at half time and loads better second half. If final ball had been better down right we'd have got six in the end, we shredded them so many times in last 20 mins 

On 28/11/2020 at 18:05, Dr. Feelgood said:

I've obviously seen goals disallowed, I'm sure I've seen us have 2 disallowed though can't recall when. But 4. That's got to be a record.

We had 4 disallowed in the one of the ties against Swindon in the cup marathon including the Barry Cowdrill travesty .

Just now, Mr Grey said:

When was this, 1908 ? 

The only landslide i remember v Notts County was against us.

Bloody night match away. Think we were 2-0 down before i got through the turnstile.

Eventfull afternoon in Nottingham College halls of residance prior to attending the match.

Long drive home via Leeds listening to Bob Monkhouse on the radio.

Cannot remember the final score , but we got battered.

Just now, embankment said:

The only landslide i remember v Notts County was against us.

Bloody night match away. Think we were 2-0 down before i got through the turnstile.

Eventfull afternoon in Nottingham College halls of residance prior to attending the match.

Long drive home via Leeds listening to Bob Monkhouse on the radio.

Cannot remember the final score , but we got battered.

Another Notts County anecdote .( differant game)

Certain poster on here managed to slash his leg open at some point during the procedings and i got the bollocking when we got home.

" you were supposed to look after him "

1 minute ago, embankment said:

Another Notts County anecdote .( differant game)

Certain poster on here managed to slash his leg open at some point during the procedings and i got the bollocking when we got home.

" you were supposed to look after him "

ho ho that barbed wire went right to the bone and yes i still have a 5 inch scar on my leg.

how many coaches went down that day?

and we had to get on the cheap shitty ribble bus and miss the first 15 mins

• The topic was unpinned