Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Diego Maradona

DazBob

Fat Cheating tosser and no tears shed from me BUT the greatest player I have witnessed in my lifetime  Has a player pretty much single handedly won a World Cup like he did in 86? . I still think though if Lineker had got on the end of Barnes's second cross we would have gone on to win that game , perhaps some things are meant to be.

Edited by dusan nikolic

A cheat - and more than once given the drug scandal in 94.

Best player ever? To me it's hard to compare him with Pele. Plenty of TV coverage of Maradona, not quite so much of Pele. The only other one to come in to the conversation is Messi to me. I'd say Maradaona was a bit better than his compatriot. So as the hand of God is taken by God himself ... I'd say he was in the top two.

Cruyff, Zico, Beckanbaur, Platini, Zidane, Gullit and the rest are all in the rank below. Wonderful footballers that they all were. 

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

That Naples documentary is something else. I went to Naples couple of years ago and they are still selling T-shirt’s with his face on. God, The Pope, Diego.

I spent some time there and you woukd go in some little back street restaurant that Maradona had used and they had a little shrine above where he had sat, seen this more than once, it's off the scale! But then so is what he turned Napoli into for that period, compared to what they were used to.

Edit:Just seen this article too

https://mol.im/a/8987079

Edited by JimmyRiddle
Extra

• Members
2 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

I spent some time there and you woukd go in some little back street restaurant that Maradona had used and they had a little shrine above where he had sat, seen this more than once, it's off the scale! But then so is what he turned Napoli into for that period, compared to what they were used to.

Haha I saw this at a gelato shop but I thought they were just blagging it. 

It’s mad Naples you’ll see some ultras fuck Juve mural next to a Maradona mural with rosary beads around the baby Jesus 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

A cheat - and more than once given the drug scandal in 94.

Best player ever? To me it's hard to compare him with Pele. Plenty of TV coverage of Maradona, not quite so much of Pele. The only other one to come in to the conversation is Messi to me. I'd say Maradaona was a bit better than his compatriot. So as the hand of God is taken by God himself ... I'd say he was in the top two.

Cruyff, Zico, Beckanbaur, Platini, Zidane, Gullit and the rest are all in the rank below. Wonderful footballers that they all were. 

Pele before my time, but from what I've seen that Brazil team would've been great and won stuff without him

Argentina and Napoli needed him

So for that reason i put him above Pele

Same with Ronaldo and messi

Both as good as each other at club level but Portugal wouldn't have won the euros without him, despite getting injured in the final

Ronaldo better than Messi

15 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Haha I saw this at a gelato shop but I thought they were just blagging it. 

It’s mad Naples you’ll see some ultras fuck Juve mural next to a Maradona mural with rosary beads around the baby Jesus 

Ha I'm sure some were! But some had his picture up, taken in their gaff. I think one I went in may have even bolted the chair he used, next to the pic on the wall! Although I was fucked at the time so that may be made up??

It is a crazy, but cool, place though.

Edited by JimmyRiddle

I just missed the 86 World Cup for getting into football.

He’s the best ever. Lead 2 shit teams to glory. Did in international. Did it in the best league in the world of the time.

The modern saying would be ‘could he do it with Burnley’ or whatever. The answer is yeah probably.

• Members
6 minutes ago, tomski said:

I just missed the 86 World Cup for getting into football.

He’s the best ever. Lead 2 shit teams to glory. Did in international. Did it in the best league in the world of the time.

The modern saying would be ‘could he do it with Burnley’ or whatever. The answer is yeah probably.

What he did at Napoli, is like Messi going to Newcastle and winning the Prem, then defending it, then winning the FA cup, then the Europa league as well as winning golden boot. 

Incredible player 

21 minutes ago, Rudy said:

What he did at Napoli, is like Messi going to Newcastle and winning the Prem, then defending it, then winning the FA cup, then the Europa league as well as winning golden boot. 

Incredible player 

Excellent analogy, Napoli have done fuck all compared to other teams but for a certain generation, i.e. mine left school in 90, for years I assumed Napoli were on par with AC & Juve because of Maradona, when clearly they so aren't in terms of success longer term.

44 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

Pele before my time, but from what I've seen that Brazil team would've been great and won stuff without him

Argentina and Napoli needed him

So for that reason i put him above Pele

Same with Ronaldo and messi

Both as good as each other at club level but Portugal wouldn't have won the euros without him, despite getting injured in the final

Ronaldo better than Messi

Pele was a master in his craft

i stood in the Pele museum in Brazil watching videos of him playing and cried buckets 

He was a genius, a simple man and he gave so much back to his countrymen

all profits at the Pele museum go back to his country

maradona ... who ... what ... 

18 minutes ago, Mona said:

Pele was a master in his craft

i stood in the Pele museum in Brazil watching videos of him playing and cried buckets 

He was a genius, a simple man and he gave so much back to his countrymen

all profits at the Pele museum go back to his country

maradona ... who ... what ... 

Couldn't get a hard on though