Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Jean-Marc Bosman

tomski

I remember things didn’t turn out too well for him but watched that documentary about his court case last night and he really did seem to suffer from the whole ordeal.

25 years on has the Bosman ruling been good or bad?

Like anything I suspect it’s been a bit of both.

• Moderators

Good wasn't it, the documentary, not what happened to Bosman 

Would say more good than bad, particularly for players, agents and clubs bringing in players 

Recall it was not so good for Ajax, their academy was a conveyor belt of top quality young talent at the time which they'd eventually sell on, but at the time they stopped investing so much time and money into it as it was deemed pointless if all the players they developed left for nothing

Edited by ZicoKelly

10 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

Good wasn't it, the documentary, not what happened to Bosman 

Would say more good than bad, particularly for players, agents and clubs bringing in players 

Recall it was not so good for Ajax, their academy was a conveyor belt of top quality young talent at the time which they'd eventually sell on, but at the time they stopped investing so much time and money into it as it was deemed pointless if all the players they developed left for nothing

Aye. I remember at the time thinking it will be a disaster but looking back the contract rules were wrong but you can’t help feel it’s gone a bit too far the other way. I didn’t like the suggestions of a closed shop in top divisions or following American plan.

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, tomski said:

Aye. I remember at the time thinking it will be a disaster but looking back the contract rules were wrong but you can’t help feel it’s gone a bit too far the other way. I didn’t like the suggestions of a closed shop in top divisions or following American plan.

yeah, that's when I thought "put the bottle down Jean"

• Members
2 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

best one we had must be Okocha, cost PSG £10M 4 years earlier

Definitely . I remember being at school and the rumour was going about and I was thinking how the hell can we sign him, no way we could afford his wages. 
When we did I had to double check it was the okocha, and not his Ethiopian cousin

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Definitely . I remember being at school and the rumour was going about and I was thinking how the hell can we sign him, no way we could afford his wages. 
When we did I had to double check it was the okocha, and not his Ethiopian cousin

aye, I had to double check when we signed Djorkaeff that it was him

and never for one second, when watching Okocha turn it on at France 98, did I think we'd be in for players like that

10 hours ago, tomski said:

I remember things didn’t turn out too well for him but watched that documentary about his court case last night and he really did seem to suffer from the whole ordeal.

25 years on has the Bosman ruling been good or bad?

Like anything I suspect it’s been a bit of both.

I remember at the time saying it would be the end of transfer fees with clubs just needing to wait for a player's contract to end and then, "sign him on a Bosman"

Not like me to be wrong 🤔

4 minutes ago, darwen_white said:

I remember at the time saying it would be the end of transfer fees with clubs just needing to wait for a player's contract to end and then, "sign him on a Bosman"

Not like me to be wrong 🤔

It was a reasonable assumption, but of course its turned out that if you're any good no club will let you get near to the last year of your contract.  Win win for the decent players, they're already on zillions a week then the club says "here, double it to sign on again even though there's 18 months left".  And if you refuse they sell you and you make a fortune out of another club instead.

A pity for Bosman that he doesn't get 0.001% of every inflated contract he's responsible for.

1 hour ago, RoadRunnerFan said:

Gerry Taggart was a big loss at the time.

Diouf also. 

Both had been signed for what was big money for us at the time they signed. 

Didnt we sell Diuof for £2m to the Mackems?

Edited by Duck Egg
Forgot the ?

I suppose the Bosman ruling led to us selling Cahill for a shit amount rather than him going for free 6 months later.

Wasn't Matty Taylor another we paid alot for who ended up leaving on a free after a few years? There must be quite a few like that.

15 minutes ago, Naytch said:

I suppose the Bosman ruling led to us selling Cahill for a shit amount rather than him going for free 6 months later.

Should’ve just fucking kept him instead of swapping him for Ream and Sordell. 

I remember watching Okocha shine in the 2002 World Cup and thinking surely we can’t be front runners to sign him. 

41 minutes ago, Naytch said:

Wasn't Matty Taylor another we paid alot for who ended up leaving on a free after a few years? There must be quite a few like that.

Think we sold Taylor