Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Carlisle (A)

Eddie

I was at the Wrexham game.

TBH i was just pleased we won, didn't realize we had to rely on other results.

Drove back and went round town celebrating with the money that should have gone on that months mortgage, brass was very tight in them days and took loads of overtime to get straight again.

1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

Best I can say about today is we didn’t lose.

We barely went in for a 50/50 challenge let alone won one. Midfield can’t win a tackle for toffee and Doyle/Fonz play too far apart.

How on Earth we managed to nick a point I’ll never know. I’ve had enough tbh of the shit being served up and glad we can’t go.

Didnt exactly throw the kitchen sink at them. Did their keeper have a save to make?

Soft as shit, not good enough but by god what a dreadful league

That sounds like a carbon copy of Barrow, supposed to be chasing a deficit for all of the 2nd half and only waking up last 10 minutes.  Its not that we can't create and score a decent goal (like Mansfield last minute also) but when do we ever put a team under sustained pressure for 20 minutes and have the keeper making a few saves?  Struggling to think of 1 game this season, yet the opposition bar none look poor at the back.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Whitestar said:

I was at the Wrexham game.

TBH i was just pleased we won, didn't realize we had to rely on other results.

Drove back and went round town celebrating with the money that should have gone on that months mortgage, brass was very tight in them days and took loads of overtime to get straight again.

If you'd had a little flutter on promotion prior to the game, you'd have been sorted.

1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Mane scored and his team won 7-0, he was fuming.  Players think individually.  Baptiste and Gilks will be pissed off tonight, I guarantee it.  

He was on a hat trick bound to be pissed 

2 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

He was on a hat trick bound to be pissed 

Exactly - self first, team 2nd every time for most players, with some exceptions like the Milners, Hendersons, Bergsons, Nolans, Speeds maybe who are real captain material and put the team first, they are rare.  Even Gilks will be thinking that his error today could be the difference between keeping the jersey for the foreseeable and being bombed out 1st week in Jan if we sign a keeper.

2 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Exactly - self first, team 2nd every time for most players, with some exceptions like the Milners, Hendersons, Bergsons, Nolans, Speeds maybe who are real captain material and put the team first, they are rare.  Even Gilks will be thinking that his error today could be the difference between keeping the jersey for the foreseeable and being bombed out 1st week in Jan if we sign a keeper.

I get you but they will still be buzzing just like after Cheltenham other week 

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Keeper will be annoyed at himself because he's professional and make a cock up. 

Hell still he happy with the fightback though. 

Gilks won't be the slightest bit bothered about whether it costs him the shirt, he had to be persuaded to take over from Crellin. He is a professional and a member of the coaching staff so he'll no doubt be annoyed about the goal and the tone it set in the first five minutes.

My takeaway from Evatt's post match comments is he's softening on his philosophy and seeing that if he doesn't be a bit more pragmatic short term he won't be around to see his way bear fruit. I can't see that folk like him and Atherton like seeing their team being bullied and shipping pathetic goals in the manner they have so often this season. Jan window needs to come quick, be productive and have an impact on our ability to win matches when it's not a nice day and the opponents don't stand back and let us be Barca

Honest assessment, Evatt won’t take us any further than we are at the minute in terms of league. He has a plan A and that doesn’t tend to work and no plan B. I want him to be the the man that takes us places but I just don’t see how it happens. We could give him until 2025 and I still think we would be in league 2, he won’t take us down but he won’t take us up. For me a change is needed, this season is a huge failure if we don’t get out of this league and we won’t with Evatt and he has to be judged as a failure if he doesn’t. 

1 minute ago, Under_Score said:

Honest assessment, Evatt won’t take us any further than we are at the minute in terms of league. He has a plan A and that doesn’t tend to work and no plan B. I want him to be the the man that takes us places but I just don’t see how it happens. We could give him until 2025 and I still think we would be in league 2, he won’t take us down but he won’t take us up. For me a change is needed, this season is a huge failure if we don’t get out of this league and we won’t with Evatt and he has to be judged as a failure if he doesn’t. 

No one happy but he has to have 2-3 windows to get his own players in and get his methods across, football teams cannot be built in 6 months. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Under_Score said:

Disagree massively but that’s football. We all have different opinions. Doesn’t make us right or wrong

Gilks has been making mistakes for weeks and he's been lucky that a much more inexperienced keeper has been in before him.

When you go to 3rd in the table, go 3 down, and don't lose it tells you exactly how shit the football in the league is - there's still a chance we could piss the league it's that shite a standard.

Need a left wing back with a decent left foot, a midfield general with experience and a 6 foot plus reserve striker in Jan to give us a chance.

Trying to play our preferred style on a wet weekend in Carlisle against hoofball shows a lack of nous.

I’d still stick with Evatt, he knows his onions........

What a strange league and what a frustrating team we are.

we were great for about 5 minutes, but the rest was disjointed, lethargic and sloppy.

why did we wait so long second half to get any shots in ?

we need to get Doyle in the box, rather than him being so wide or deep.

we need to stop giving crap goals away.

but to come from 3-0 down at any level.......

7 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Disagree massively but that’s football. We all have different opinions. Doesn’t make us right or wrong

Completely agree, I’ve heard many wanderers fans argue for him and what he brings and certain points I do genuinely believe in, but I just can’t see how he becomes a manger that takes us to promotion. We can’t keep conceding like we do at the minute and when you consider he was a defender, that point is highlighted to its maximum with how many goals we concede. He won’t get potted anytime soon no matter what I think, so let’s hope he turns it round.

9 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Gilks has been making mistakes for weeks and he's been lucky that a much more inexperienced keeper has been in before him.

When you go to 3rd in the table, go 3 down, and don't lose it tells you exactly how shit the football in the league is - there's still a chance we could piss the league it's that shite a standard.

Agree with that.  But for every decent result we've got v Carlisle, Cheltenham, Salford there have been convincing defeats to teams no higher than 9th and many lower - Walsall, Colchester, Orient, Tranmere, Vale, Oldham.  Yes Southend and Stevenage looked worse than most, but generally the standard from 1st to 20th is very similar.  

It's easy to keep saying 'its a shit league and we can easily put a few results together and be up there' but we're not looking any more likely to do that in the near future. The only run of results we've put together was against the rags of the division. 

There's obviously still time, the season under Freedman when we were 3rd bottom at end of Jan window and should have got in play offs on last day gives us that sort of hope. It can be done for sure, with a change in approach, attitude and personnel in Jan

58 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Yep, good post, absolutely agree on Gilkes, he doesn't want to be between the sticks come January, sooner him than Crellin at the moment. 

I'm not so sure.  He's a coach because its a future career after playing. You don't play for 20 years if you don't love playing, if I was him I'd be extending my playing career as long as possible.  If for arguments sake IE gets sacked in April, Gilks is looking for a contract for next season, no guarantee of a coaching career especially if IE doesnt get another job, he wants a contract next season like everyone else.  Aside from all that, he will be annoyed with his mistake today and won't be buzzing, he'll be desperate to put it right.

19 hours ago, Rudy said:

Probably a blessing that crowds aren’t in

I disagree...I think it's been proven that stony silences interspersed with groans and shouted comments like; 'fuck's sake', 'sort it out', 'what the fuck was that?!', 'fucking shit, Santos!' and 'Fuck off, Delfoo-enzo!' - provide the proverbial '12th Man' that helps win games.

Edited by Youri McAnespie