Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Crawley Town (H)

burnden

The problem some people have is that they think “we are Bolton, we shouldn’t be losing to Crawley, or Carlisle etc”

but we are this Bolton, in league 2 for a reason. This Bolton has no right to think we should be demolishing every team and running away with this league. 

every other comment seems to be “we should be beating this shit” or something like that. Why should we be beating this shit?  It’s not the Bolton from 15 years ago

Edited by superkev

3 minutes ago, superkev said:

The problem some people have is that they think “we are Bolton, we shouldn’t be losing to Crawley, or Carlisle etc”

but we are this Bolton, in league 2 for a reason. This Bolton has no right to think we should be demolishing every team and running away with this league. 

every other comment seems to be “we should be beating this shit” or something like that. Why should we be beating this shit?  It’s not the Bolton from 15 years ago

Correct. Our wage bill is an absolute pittance.

38 minutes ago, hughmungus said:

Because we have lost regularly against teams we should never have lost to because of Evatt and his limited ability.

I go into every game expecting to win so don’t see a need to state the obvious.

No one knows what level of input he has had with recruiting players but that is his problem in a way because he appears to have taken the job expecting others to make decisions that he should have had to make.

When we had a winning run you disappeared.

You are a Bolton and expect to win every game ? You have had a shit decade. 

So as well as blaming him for stuff on the pitch you are blaming him for a back room structure that you say ‘no one knows ‘ about ? 

I am judging you on your posts as others are and you only turn up with your ‘told you so’ posts when we do not win. Do you think everyone else is not pissed off ? We are a club that has been rotten to the core. At least the owners now seem very decent (if not football) people. Do I think Evatt is the messiah ? No. Does he make mistakes Yes - Crellin being the most obvious. 

You admit none of us know what has gone on behind the scenes what budget and input he has had but you reaction is blame IE for everything and then turn round and gloat when we lose. It might not be your intention but that is 100% how it comes across. 

Edited by Ani

The way evatt set out before the season started hasn’t helped himself imo

Wouldn’t say cocky but he was very sure of himself going to do this and that clubs not a cash cow etc what part TP played I don’t know

obviously he couldn’t play things down as that wouldn’t get S/t sales but it could come back and bite if we finish mid table, I’m no mathematician but 8k must go some way to covering the wage bill is it 1.5? 

• Members
1 minute ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Wouldn’t say cocky but he was very sure of himself going to do this and that clubs not a cash cow etc what part TP played I don’t know

obviously he couldn’t play things down as that wouldn’t get S/t sales but it could come back and bite if we finish mid table, I’m no mathematician but 8k must go some way to covering the wage bill is it 1.5? 

Think it’s just his belief and confidence. It’s clear we have quite a few players not up to scratch, throw in injuries, bit of bad luck that always evens itself out and we are we should be. Luckily the league is shite and were only a run of good wins to get us up the league. 
He’s a young manager and he’s still learning, the positives I’ve seen from him I know he’ll come good, that’s not blind faith either

5 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Yeah that bullish pre season talk was jarring and was setting himself up for a fall.

Don't mind people having lofty aspirations- but it just came across as disrespectful to other teams in the division. 

He did other teams motivational speeches for them. 

5 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

8k sold should generate around £1.5m, so the playing staff wage bill should just about be covered, if nobody has asked for a refund yet.

There's still the costs of operating a football club etc to consider, so whilst we've possibly got one of the biggest season ticket sales in the league, we're far from rolling in it. Most of our rivals' running costs will be far lower than ours.

7 minutes ago, superkev said:

If we would have scored the goal Crawley scored yesterday people would have said brilliant goal. Instead it was shit defending

That’s because we’d have been looking at our attacking players not the defenders

It can be both

And probably was 

Lovely passing and woeful tracking

1 minute ago, jules_darby said:

That’s because we’d have been looking at our attacking players not the defenders

It can be both

And probably was 

Admittedly tracking wasn’t there but it was in such a small area that there’s not a lot more could be done. Was good passing and running from then

9 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

There's no argument that we are at our lowest point EVER, but to blame Evatt is just plain stupid.

We were fucked long before he came, at least give the bloke a chance.

Sometimes in a game, just sometimes, i see flashes of what he's trying to do and at this level it looks decent.

Give him time, he'll sort it.

To blame IE for our fall is ridiculous; it’s like putting on 4 stone and blaming the last meal you had

However, it shouldn’t absolve his accountability for the decisions that are in his control.

I said the same with Parky

As long as we are making discernible progress then changing Manager is folly 

What we’d all like to see is a pattern of learning and it starting to come together 

We have to see what happens post this window at the very least

Bur that doesn’t mean we can’t be disappointed at some of what’s gone on....other than the very obvious removal of Crellin and Comley I really don’t think we’ve progressed in many strides yet - all season we’ve shown glimpses of attacking prowess but the terrible mistakes were still there just last week. I thought the Cheltenham shut out was the one where we’d really turned the corner and showed we know how to do it in this league but it’s not sustained sadly 

Hopefully just 2-3 changes in key areas of poor to decent personnel helps that along somewhat.  But we can’t just rely on this, at some point the Manager has to be judged not just on recruitment but how he manages to get the most out of his staff / through training, tactics and the mental psychology side - motivation & mental strength.

it’s all of it together to = consistent performance 

9 minutes ago, superkev said:

Admittedly tracking wasn’t there but it was in such a small area that there’s not a lot more could be done. Was good passing and running from then

2 things on that 

They can’t do it if we hustle them. As good as the passing was

They moved forwards quickly; we were often in the same position around their box the first 70-75 mins  and crowded out because we were so pedestrian to move forwards. We were forced into seize to side passes going nowhere 

52 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Dont think many are making excuses, we all know its been shit, but even if its 20 mintues yesterday, we show how good we can be going forward.

Theres hope there and this fella is half a season in with a scratch team, half of whom were brought in by some dude whos now been potted.

Point taken.

However going 2 goals down after 5 minutes in more than one game, beaten 4 at Orient and shipping 6 at home is obviously unacceptable.

The buck stops with IE. That’s the way it works.

As another poster said, I think it’s the right club, wrong time.

I would give him time but we have got to get some form of consistency and quickly.

Think we need to be patient. It reminds me of the Phil Neal years. We stuck with Neal for seven years and he built a squad good enough for someone else to build on.

We wouldnt have got Rioch to manage us in the fourth division with a threadbare squad and we won't get much better than Evatt at the moment.

Changing managers every few months is what we did in the 70's and 80's before Neal.

Edited by pauldeva
Add something

50 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

It can be both

And probably was 

In fairness if Santos uses his strength and sticks his head on a long punt upfield they don't score.

• Site Supporter
56 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Definitely. 

Perhaps inexperience comes out. Particularly after matches with some of his comments.

Crellin for instance.

One which seemed to disappear under the radar was his post match comments following Port Vale. He said its easy to play well when you come on at 6-1 down. A rebuke to the statement that the subs had done well.

Generally, at 6-1 down, I'd say subs are on a hiding to nothing, and to turn a game to a degree was credit to them, but he went the other way which I thought was emotions getting the better of him, and unhelpful. 

A lot to learn in his man management I reckon.

37 minutes ago, captainmed said:

Point taken.

However going 2 goals down after 5 minutes in more than one game, beaten 4 at Orient and shipping 6 at home is obviously unacceptable.

The buck stops with IE. That’s the way it works.

As another poster said, I think it’s the right club, wrong time.

I would give him time but we have got to get some form of consistency and quickly.

I think most people’s view is that we had a director of football last transfer window and they must have had some influence in signings. 
IE now has control and we should judge him based on if things improve from here. 
We are in the bottom division and the quality of players and probably manager reflect that. 
We need the usual mix of old heads in the team and younger lads with potential. IE in terms of a manager is inexperienced. I agree with you back him for now but the clock has to be ticking if things do not improve. 

20 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Definitely. 

Perhaps inexperience comes out. Particularly after matches with some of his comments.

Crellin for instance.

One which seemed to disappear under the radar was his post match comments following Port Vale. He said its easy to play well when you come on at 6-1 down. A rebuke to the statement that the subs had done well.

Generally, at 6-1 down, I'd say subs are on a hiding to nothing, and to turn a game to a degree was credit to them, but he went the other way which I thought was emotions getting the better of him, and unhelpful. 

A lot to learn in his man management I reckon.

For sure inexperience has come out either on the touchline or in interviews and he will learn from that (well I hope he does) 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, kent_white said:

Yeah that bullish pre season talk was jarring and was setting himself up for a fall.

Don't mind people having lofty aspirations- but it just came across as disrespectful to other teams in the division. 

He did other teams motivational speeches for them. 

Aye and via ifollow I've noticed the opposition commentators are a bit "come on then evatt, let's see what you've got" 

Was certainly the case with Cheltenham and Carlisle, got the impression IE had commented on their style of play or something, and they took exception to it

12 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I don't understand how you can object to Jones playing LWB on the basis of him being a defender rather than a winger and then suggest Delaney, Taft or Greenidge should play there instead.

Sorry I wasn't clear there, I meant Delaney, Taft, Greenidge at left back.  Or Jones or even Brockbank if absolutely necessary.  Just not at LWB.  We shouldn't be playing with wingbacks, until such time that we have as a minimum a LWB in the squad. That's been my opinion since the FGR game.

53 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Sorry I wasn't clear there, I meant Delaney, Taft, Greenidge at left back.  Or Jones or even Brockbank if absolutely necessary.  Just not at LWB.  We shouldn't be playing with wingbacks, until such time that we have as a minimum a LWB in the squad. That's been my opinion since the FGR game.

Ah right. I'd prefer Jones as a full-back rather than the others, just because I think it's more important tgat we have a full-back in the full-back position rather than a left footed centre-half.

To be fair, we did play with a back fpur after they scored yesterday, and looked miles better.