Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Best Club Song......

MancWanderer

As most would agree Scottish futball is shite, but that song was superb. Hairs on the back of the neck stuff!!

Beats "We are the one and only Wanderers!"

As an aside, when was that game? Opponents? And who broke the goalposts? 😁

8 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

One of my mates asked this as as a question earlier. If you won summat big who would have the biggest ‘glory’ song?

Scousers were there straight away obvs with YNWA and the Irish were in with The Fields of Athernry

Winner for me were @Escobarps lot, the hibees.

Belting song sung with passion

never seen that before, that's a belter

8 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

One of my mates asked this as as a question earlier. If you won summat big who would have the biggest ‘glory’ song?

Scousers were there straight away obvs with YNWA and the Irish were in with The Fields of Athernry

I’m in there somewhere. I know folk have a bit of a weird relationship when it comes to ‘second teams’ and all that, but that day will be one of the best days of my life for as long as I live. I’ve followed Hibs since being a kid (probably only a couple of years less than I’ve supported Bolton) and have watched some seriously shit teams over that period. Not winning the cup since 1902 was just insane for a club of that size in a relatively limited pool. I went to successive cup final defeats in 2012 (imagine Black Sunday, but in the FA Cup Final) and 2013 and I’ll always remember my mum saying to me not long before she died in 2013 that Hibs would win the cup one day. Not ashamed to say I shed a tear as I thought of those words when the final whistle went.

Hairs stand up just thinking about it tbh. 

Fucking hell that was a bit heavy post for first thing on a New Year morning. 

• Site Supporter

The Hibs one is ok but it needed someone to play the song in order to orchestrate it. Birmingham’s Keep Right on was very much 3000 fans managing to be in sync as a group. Stoke are the same with that fucking Delilah bird.

We are the one and only Wanderers!!! We definitely need a song. If we start now whilst we’re probably going to have our lowest (post Covid) crowds it’ll be up to all 27000 singing it when we get back to the big time.

• Site Supporter
Just now, radcliffewhite1 said:

Definitely in the bottom league when it comes to songs

Come on @Underpants, let’s run through a list of songs once heard at Wanderers games. I think last time I did this live was pre-FACup s/f v Stoke with the Anthill Mob. We were in good spirits for at least 20 minutes.

Who’s that comin’ up the hill, boys?

We don’t carry ‘ammers!

In Bolton’s fair city where the girls are so pretty.

Oh we keep chickens in our back yard...

Oh when the whites go marching in... 

1 minute ago, MickyD said:

Come on @Underpants, let’s run through a list of songs once heard at Wanderers games. I think last time I did this live was pre-FACup s/f v Stoke with the Anthill Mob. We were in good spirits for at least 20 minutes.

We don’t carry ‘ammers!

hardly sung

3 minutes ago, MickyD said:

We don’t carry ‘ammers!

it was in the year of 58 probably our most original, but not really one that gets sung in unison. 

15 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Definitely in the bottom league when it comes to songs

Even the simplest but rousing of ones seem to have disappeared.

On that wolves play off vid, come on you whites is ace as we kick off for extra time. White army as well. Never really hear those anymore.

Not crazy corners fault, its older boys that are fast asleep in other parts of ground.

4 minutes ago, gonzo said:

On that wolves play off vid, come on you whites is ace as we kick off for extra time. White army as well. Never really hear those anymore.

Not crazy corners fault, its older boys that are fast asleep in other parts of ground.

Most old boys not even in the ground these days, football fans have changed for the worse in the last 20 years, new stadiums are soulless  but even old stadiums don’t have the same atmosphere. Add 10 years of abject failure on the pitch and it’s no wonder. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

9 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

I know longer have the same affinity and don’t watch them other when when they play livi hearts or rangers nowadays. But like Matt I was there that day as well.
It’s a spine tingling rendition of the song and looks the business 

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, gonzo said:

It was the move from Burnden which caused the lack of songs. Like much of history, these songs were passed from older fans to youngsters. I started going in 74 and stood on the periphery of the singing group in the Lever End until such time I could hold my own, knowing the words to songs was very much an apprenticeship. Singers went from Lever End to Burnden Terrace but the song learning remained the same. It all stopped in the move. There was no longer a focussed group who knew the songs and therefore nobody to hand songs down. It’s probably the main reason we have better sounding support at away games than at home.

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, gonzo said:

BT always used to sing the score at the away fans (when winning), basic but effective

12 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

I thought it was weary as fuck. Footy songs need to be faster paced and rousing. I think Leeds “Marching on together” sounds pretty good when they have a massive away following and they all sing it in unison.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

2 hours ago, MickyD said:

It was the move from Burnden which caused the lack of songs. Like much of history, these songs were passed from older fans to youngsters. I started going in 74 and stood on the periphery of the singing group in the Lever End until such time I could hold my own, knowing the words to songs was very much an apprenticeship. Singers went from Lever End to Burnden Terrace but the song learning remained the same. It all stopped in the move. There was no longer a focussed group who knew the songs and therefore nobody to hand songs down. It’s probably the main reason we have better sounding support at away games than at home.

The move was a factor but it wasn't the main reason. All seater stadiums were the main culprit. Clubs that have not moved grounds do have a similar problem with atmosphere. At home Spurs only seem to sing OWTSGMI. Man U are a one or two tune choir. The same goes for the majority of home clubs in all the leagues.

There's enough old boys still going to our aways to pass the noise on. But some just seem to be more interested in getting oiled up on IPAs beforehand, and talking to each other during the match rather than starting up renditions of the old anthems.

I would say our song is "Look whose coming up the hill boys". But even when it gets a rare airing it tends to peter out half way through. Would need the words being printed out and distributed to the young uns! 

The one chant I'd love us to stop is the repeated bellowing of "White Army" ... totally characterless and dull.

9 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

I would say our song is "Look whose coming up the hill boys". But even when it gets a rare airing it tends to peter out half way through. Would need the words being printed out and distributed to the young uns! 

The one chant I'd love us to stop is the repeated bellowing of "White Army" ... totally characterless and dull.

Song sheets 😂. Did you have one when you learnt it? Songs are passed on by ear. As a collective its down to the fans to pull their fingers out.

6 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

"Whose that coming up the hill boys?

The Wanderers are coming up the hill boys,

They all laugh at us,

They all mock at us,

They all say our days are numbered,

Born to be a Wanderer,

Victorious are we,

So you'd better hurry up,

Cos we're gonna win the cup,

We're the pride of division 3,2,1,

Victorious and glorious,

We took the Stretford end between the 4 of us"