Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Exeter City (away)

Farrelli

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I seem to remember that as well, baby waking up every 2 hours and wide awake at 5am not conducive to best form. 😂

Absolutely. 

Management must be able to see his form- surely they need to be having a word if there's any help he needs, or just give him a break if he's struggling a bit.

No point flogging a dead (dying horse).

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Another thing can we stop trying to play it out from the back until we have players that can do it. 

I've said this from the day we're started playing it out.  Pointless rolling it to a defender for them to hoof it aimlessly,  may as well just let the keeper hoof out.  At least that doesn't automatically mean the ball back gets picked up by the other team. 

58 minutes ago, MickyD said:

I've said this from the day we're started playing it out.  Pointless rolling it to a defender for them to hoof it aimlessly,  may as well just let the keeper hoof out.  At least that doesn't automatically mean the ball back gets picked up by the other team. 

Just before Exeter first goal gilkes rolls it to Delaney in the box, 2 wing backs push on Delaney shanks it upfield 50 yards to no one the ball gets shanked back up the middle our wing backs are out of position, Delaney is still over on the left there’s a gap the whole width of the field with 1 BWFC player In the space, the Exeter lad was one on one with gilkes luckily gilkes saved with his feet,  Gilkes then smashes it up the pitch 50/50 header on halfway touch line ended up Exeter lad won possession and we’d still not got organised from previous shambles, winger recieved ball made sarc, Delaney luck stupid and it’s 1-0. Utter shambolic 2 minutes all caused by thinking were good enough to play it from the back. Funnily enough every time I watch Brighton they try the same and make a mess of it more often than not, if you have a squad or player not comfortable with it then don’t play it. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
Just now, Mounts Kipper said:

Just before Exeter first goal gilkes rolls it to Delaney in the box, 2 wing backs push on Delaney shanks it upfield 50 yards to no one the ball gets shanked back up the middle our wing backs are out of position, Delaney is still over on the left there’s a gap the whole width of the field with 1 BWFC player In the space, the Exeter lad was one on one with gilkes luckily gilkes saved with his feet,  Gilkes then smashes it up the pitch 50/50 header on halfway touch line ended up Exeter lad won possession and we’d still not got organised from previous shambles, winger recieved ball made sarc, Delaney luck stupid and it’s 1-0. Utter shambolic 2 minutes all caused by thinking were good enough to play it from the back. Funnily enough every time I watch Brighton they try the same and make a mess of it more often than not, if you have a squad or player not comfortable with it then don’t play it. 

All but the very best teams are not good enough to try it. It's up to the midfield to be ready for it and scrap for the loose balls when defenders head it back assuming the front men are not winning too many headers.

5 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

All but the very best teams are not good enough to try it. It's up to the midfield to be ready for it and scrap for the loose balls when defenders head it back assuming the front men are not winning too many headers.

Basic but effective is what we need in this league.A hold up forward is essential. Its not rocket science.

3 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Basic but effective is what we need in this league.A hold up forward is essential. Its not rocket science.

100% If we’d kept it basic and sacked Crellin off and gone 4 at back earlier we’d be top 6 easy. Instead we decided to try & sell a pass and move style as a holy grail. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
16 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Our last home game was one of the few we didnt deserve to lose, IE thought we should have scored about 5.  Only 2 or 3 chances created tonight in comparison and not exactly rock solid defensively, and some poor individual performances by all accounts.  Just wondering where the improvement was?  Not disputing it BTW, just interested.

But we did. I meant more that IE changed it when he saw that it wasn't working, and the substitutions worked. 

2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Agree with that, whenever I watch Brighton they look like an accident waiting to happen when in possession at the back.  And City famously lost goals playing that way last season,  If Prem sides aren't good enough to do it there's zero point thinking we can aspire to it in the next few years never mind months.  Its not either route 1 or 100% passing from front to back, most teams that have come to the Unibol this season have managed to balance to the 2, having the ability to pass it round and keep possession whilst making some progress up the field, without thinking they have to attempt it from their own penalty box.

5 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

So IE reckons we showed “flashes of brilliance” i watched the game for 90 mins and can’t say i noticed these “ flashes of brilliance” Truth be known it was piss poor & we were lucky to come away with a point imo.

Did he say that? think the pressure is getting to him 

5 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

Think evatts argument would be that you don’t have to be a top  team to play that style due to him succeeding at Barrow with it . 
it always reminds me of one of is first interviews when he brought up that a fan had wrote to him and told him he wouldn’t be successful playing that way in league 2 and you had hit it long . And he rubbished it 

this style of  football is looking a long way off even after 7 months of training 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

I don't know whether to cheer him for, finally, change it ... or curse him for taking 6 months to spot what most fans did inside 5 games.

No, untrue. I do know.

Same with Crellin. Evatt's stubbornness has cost us 15-20 points so far.

See I’m not going with this “fans know better than the manager bollocks” 

I think if the analysts within the club were to provide details (which they won’t and shouldn’t) you’d find we’ve changed formation a few times, but it doesn’t fit this narrative that IE is stubborn and doesn’t change things.

Just off the top of my head he’s changed the formation  a few times this season, it was either before/after the Newport game and at least twice within games, think it was Barrow and Cambridge.

And for me I can see why he stuck with it, the players were bought with 3-5-2 in mind, it’s how he got success last season and up until having a period of time post Christmas it’s been game after game, 2 a week, with little time on training pitch to address it.

As I’ve said before, depending on which side of the fence you sit, you could also view the fact that he’s remained loyal to the players and his principles as a positive. Santos, Thomason, Brockbank have benefitted from this even though the fans weren’t convinced.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he came out with this emphasis of change of shape after the Crawley game just to stop this wave of fan opinion.

For that game yesterday 4-5-1 worked , to a degree. 

But as someone else has suggested if he gets John and Kioso back I wouldn’t be surprised if he went back to 3-5-2 and I wouldn’t blame him. Round pegs in round holes as some like to call it when the narrative fits.

6 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

If we are judging him on buying players to fit 3-5-2 then he's failed, if we are judging him on playing 

round pegs in round holes he's failed again, no narrative required. 

So , do you want to bin him ?

Now or at the end of the season ?

I definitely would give him the season.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, embankment said:

So , do you want to bin him ?

Now or at the end of the season ?

I definitely would give him the season.

I didn't say I wanted to bin him, just pointing out what I thought were inaccuracies in desperados post. You only have to look at Crellin to see he has been beyond stubborn at times. Should we show some improvement by the end of this season I would give him a chance to start next season but we would have to get off to a flyer or he's gone. 

• Site Supporter

Going round in circles, did he buy all the players? They looked all right and in round holes in November before Crawford and Fonz went off the boil and Tutte got injured. And he’s shown he knows where the gaps are with the recruitment and type of player he’s after this window.

While we are sat in the bottom half of the table I understand my opinion will be criticised and I don’t mind a good discussion regarding differing opinion.

But there’s the odd post that comes across as being so definitively right when it’s just an opinion or like they are a UEFA licensed coach who knows more than those in the profession, when really all we are (most of us) are unqualified blaggers voicing our frustrations. 

Edited by desperado

I am still struggling with this division.  Yes another team above us that I didn’t think were much good.

We have 2 players that ripped this league apart last year (Doyle and sarc) a manager that knows the division inside out, yet -

-we start slow every week

-try to play out when we haven’t got the players to do it

-don’t look like we know each other

-bad in play game management

-nearly always have a really good 15 minute spell (usually towards end of the game)

-continue to have bad luck and always end other teams bad runs

surely nearly half way into a season, we would have worked these things out ?

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, marple whites said:

I am still struggling with this division.  Yes another team above us that I didn’t think were much good.

We have 2 players that ripped this league apart last year (Doyle and sarc) a manager that knows the division inside out, yet -

-we start slow every week

-try to play out when we haven’t got the players to do it

-don’t look like we know each other

-bad in play game management

-nearly always have a really good 15 minute spell (usually towards end of the game)

-continue to have bad luck and always end other teams bad runs

surely nearly half way into a season, we would have worked these things out ?

Struggling with this bit...

He was in the National League last season, so his knowledge of this division will be limited surely?

His tactics worked for Barrow and they won promotion so he's tried the same tactics - which haven't worked in this league with the players at our club. He's been faithful to his strategy (and also to some players) and I think that he's now seen that it's not working.

Some call it stubbornness, some call it having faith in your beliefs.

There's still enough time for a play-off push.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Steejay said:

He was in the National League last season, so his knowledge of this division will be limited surely?

His tactics worked for Barrow and they won promotion so he's tried the same tactics - which haven't worked in this league with the players at our club. He's been faithful to his strategy (and also to some players) and I think that he's now seen that it's not working.

Good post 👍

On 14/01/2021 at 15:09, Steejay said:

Top half of conference and a lot of this division are similar.

cant really say I have seen a good team.

look at Jackson today, good for Stockport last season and more than capable today in this league.