Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Meanwhile in Ukraine


Rudy

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, gonzo said:

 

 

Ominous.

 

 

If Trump gets in I think he will pressure Ukraine to forfeit Territory as a settlement to end the war. Zelensky will not do that so the US backing will be withdrawn. Putin probably knows this and is biding his time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

If Trump gets in I think he will pressure Ukraine to forfeit Territory as a settlement to end the war. Zelensky will not do that so the US backing will be withdrawn. Putin probably knows this and is biding his time. 

I've said this for a while, that way Putin saves face and can claim a win, Trump can pretend he's been a peacemaker. And Zelensky and the Ukraines, well nobody will give a toss, and they'll be forgotten about soon enough. Hopefully then we can stop spaffing billions of pounds away on somebody elses war (although we'll no doubt find somewhere else to spaff it away)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I've said this for a while, that way Putin saves face and can claim a win, Trump can pretend he's been a peacemaker. And Zelensky and the Ukraines, well nobody will give a toss, and they'll be forgotten about soon enough. Hopefully then we can stop spaffing billions of pounds away on somebody elses war (although we'll no doubt find somewhere else to spaff it away)

Putin will then target Estonia and others

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

NATO will be nullified without US support. 

Pulling funding from Ukraine is a bit different from Nato though?

Sure Trump said he just wanted folk to pay more?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Pulling funding from Ukraine is a bit different from Nato though?

Sure Trump said he just wanted folk to pay more?

It is but do you trust him? He is not a stable character.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sadly the US can no longer be counted on as a reliable partner in my opinion. 

Europe and the remainder of NATO need to start planning for a world where US support is not a given. It's doable - but it's going to mean us all getting our economies on a war footing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Sadly the US can no longer be counted on as a reliable partner in my opinion. 

Europe and the remainder of NATO need to start planning for a world where US support is not a given. It's doable - but it's going to mean us all getting our economies on a war footing. 

out of the Other  31 NATO countries 

Only the UK and France have Nukes 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, little whitt said:

out of the Other  31 NATO countries 

Only the UK and France have Nukes 

Yeah I was reading the other day that it's being muted that either the UK or France could offer a 'nuclear umbrella' for the rest of NATO (or Europe) in exchange for the other countries footing the bill. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Farrelli said:

It is but do you trust him? He is not a stable character.

I trust him over Biden and our way of just pouring Billions down the drain for something that will never happen.

Get Trump in, make Russia agree too keeping what they have and we can all just crack on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Farrelli said:

If he gets some of Ukraine he will attempt the same trick on other ex Soviet states

 

3 hours ago, Farrelli said:

NATO will be nullified without US support. 

You seem to know a lot about this. Are you saying that the US are going to leave NATO when Trump is in charge, and that the Russians are going to go on the offensive? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, gonzo said:

I trust him over Biden and our way of just pouring Billions down the drain for something that will never happen.

Get Trump in, make Russia agree too keeping what they have and we can all just crack on.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952na49eh8iv90xp56153

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kent_white said:

Yeah I was reading the other day that it's being muted that either the UK or France could offer a 'nuclear umbrella' for the rest of NATO (or Europe) in exchange for the other countries footing the bill. 

What? Are you suggesting what might be almost a European Army. I remember some thinking that was the worst thing possible....and was one of the reasons for leaving the EU

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
37 minutes ago, Sweep said:

What? Are you suggesting what might be almost a European Army. I remember some thinking that was the worst thing possible....and was one of the reasons for leaving the EU

Don't need both NATO and a separate European army.

If America did pull out (they won't) then of course it would be a largely European force, but not entirely. 

We (UK) have signed some separate mutual protection agreements fairly recently, which I think preceeded some of the newer members being admitted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, BobyBrno said:

The Russian Ruble is collapsing . Could have a real impact on events over there. 

Absolutely huge if this continues in the same way. 

As is using some of these freezes assets to fund Ukraine. Very clever move to just use the accumulated interest. Hopefully the remainder can be used to rebuild Ukraine when Russia sue for peace further down the line. 

I think we're right to have become more hawkish on this. Likewise Biden allowing US weaponry to be launched against Russian targets. 

Things are coming to a head soon - I'm convinced of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter

Putin has voiced reprisals for "stealing Russian wealth".

They have been getting around some sanctions by getting oil out in "unflagged" tankers.

Keeping squeezing them financially will help, as is the Anerican's permission to use long range weapons to strike in Russia.

Just been reading about ATACMS twatting Russian assets in Crimea, in addition to storm shadow type missiles hitting naval assests. These smaller ballistic missiles are also hitting Russian air defence units- which are struggling to stop them.

Further strikes on Airfields in Russia- hitting SU57s amongst others, and Russia is getting a headache.

I know our resident aircraft guru is somewhat doubtful as to the effectiveness of F16s in modern warfare, but if these Russian anti-aircraft units are significantly depleted initially, then these planes may yet play a role.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.