Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Evatt in or out

10 minutes ago, kent_white said:

In - you don't pay for a new man to come in and sack him in the same season. Especially under the circumstances we're currently in.

I don't think there's a single one of us that isn't bitterly disappointed with how we've performed so far. He gets the rest of this season and the start of the next for me. Barring any absolute catastrophe.

The frustrating thing is - I still can't think of many games where we've been outplayed. 

But 2nd best in the vast majority of games in this poor league, not good enough surely.  

I don't know the financial implications of a change of manager so I'm not answering it without having the facts to hand, and without knowing who the alternative might be, I just know that IE is a big disappointment and I don't believe his bluster any more.  

Might as well see the season out, nothing happening anyway.

Fans won't be back so he's had it very easy, a lot of interest has been lost and the amount of season tickets sold in the summer will be well down.

Maybe it will be a change again in the summer to try and regenerate a bit of interest, we go again.

1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

But 2nd best in the vast majority of games in this poor league, not good enough surely.  

I don't know the financial implications of a change of manager so I'm not answering it without having the facts to hand, and without knowing who the alternative might be, I just know that IE is a big disappointment and I don't believe his bluster any more.  

I think I can only think of one or two games where we've been the poorer of the two sides. We're losing games by fine margins and in most of those games we have a period of time (sadly only 20 mins or so) where we look like we're battering them.

I still think there's something there with Evatt. But it needs to be a lot more consistent and for 90 minutes. 

Still don't feel like it's 'his team' particularly.

Mind you I remember arguing similar points in favour of keeping Dougie Freedman! So what do I know? 😁

In to the end of the season. There has to be some evidence of progress though. He is unlucky to lose Lee and John straight away as that would have improved us. The keeper issue is self inflicted and so was persevering with wing backs when it wasn’t working. Right now he really needs the players to dig out a win from somewhere, and quickly.

I’ll moan as much as anyone, there’s plenty wrong with the team and the way we play, but even saying all that we turned it on for the last half an hour today and if it wasn’t for the ref we’d have beaten them (and still had the chances to at least get a point).

As long as we’re not in danger of going down then he gets this season and the first couple of months of next for me. It’s probably blind faith, bit like Jules said about expecting to come good each game with no evidence, I’m the same about Evatt as the manager - but I’m also thinking that the alternative of going back to a tried and tested old school manager that’s just on the roundabout isn’t too appealing either.

In, but without too much to back up it up at the moment.

I suppose we might as well see how the season plays out now barring disasters.

FWIW and I have thought this for a while one of his main mistakes was right at the start of the season when he put too many balls in the Sarcevic basket. He is not captain material for me, has a bad body language and I can't see him motivating other players. We'll see how much longer it takers him to realise this.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Farrelli said:

In to the end of the season. There has to be some evidence of progress though. He is unlucky to lose Lee and John straight away as that would have improved us. The keeper issue is self inflicted and so was persevering with wing backs when it wasn’t working. Right now he really needs the players to dig out a win from somewhere, and quickly.

The keeper issue is the biggest one for me... Completely fucked up our start to the season & destroyed already fragile confidence, yet he let it roll along for weeks on end before making a decision that even Crellins mum would have made 6 matches earlier! 

If he loses his job that will be the biggest nail in his coffin. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, kent_white said:

In - you don't pay for a new man to come in and sack him in the same season. Especially under the circumstances we're currently in.

I don't think there's a single one of us that isn't bitterly disappointed with how we've performed so far. He gets the rest of this season and the start of the next for me. Barring any absolute catastrophe.

The frustrating thing is - I still can't think of many games where we've been outplayed. 

Are you including Humungous?

1 hour ago, kent_white said:

That 17th in League Two is no longer viewed as a catastrophe is a sign of just how low the bar has dropped. 

Really, he's been fucking awful. Worse than even the most pessimistic predictions of how we'd do this year. And he doesn't half talk some shite.

But, I don't think we're going down and nobody is being asked to go and sit in the cold and watch this dross. So for that reason, I'd give him until the end of the season to start showing some signs of life.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

FV ain’t going to fire him as it raises questions over themselves, realistically he will start next season

At the moment yes.

At what point do their collective arse holes start twitching though?

Another month of this and a few points closer to the bottom and...

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

FV ain’t going to fire him as it raises questions over themselves, realistically he will start next season

It wouldn't for me. Owners appoint poor managers, managers sign poor players, it happens. More damage is done by refusing to acknowledge a mistake & plod along on a wing & a prayer. 

Evatt needs a hallelujah moment where everything clicks but it's looking less likely every week.