Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Evatt in or out

Just now, JimmyRiddle said:

I'm taken aback by the apathy of the majority of posters on here to be honest 

We’ve had toxic for the past 5 years, possibly more, one way or the other. Most people don’t want toxic and they’re sick of change - as much as things aren’t great at the moment, for the sake of stability and sanity at this club, I think most are willing to let things slide a bit longer and just hope that things eventually change for the better. 

10 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’m not sure it’s apathy, lot of older heads on here and many been here before and understand that chopping and changing and lack of stability isn’t the route to go down. 

Why isn't it? why is that perceived by many as the right way? Where has it got us?

The only time we sacked a manager, in a timely manner was Sammy Lee, and we stayed up for another few years, so on balance was the right decision.

The rest, we have waited and waited and waited, and fucking nothing changes, they all get sacked eventually as they all have the same flaws two three  years later they had in the first 6 months. The only difference is we have wasted more time being a nothing football team.

Edited by JimmyRiddle

3 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

I wish we had a centre half like that Tozer at Cheltenham. He was absolutely tremendous against city tonight, blocking shots with any part of his body including a blasted shot with his head off the line. 

We need 2 of him that put their bodies on the line not to concede.

dont concede = don’t lose

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

There's a load of comments along the lines of "nothing's happening this season, just let it carry on, and we'll assess again in summer".  Talk about heads, sand and burying.  The form table for the last 10 games has us 2nd bottom on 9 points, only Grimsby below us.  Stevenage 4 ahead and Southend 6 ahead.  And our 1st game in that sequence was a win.  So the last 9 games form table is even worse.  For those thinking stopping up is a formality, you're either saying we'll improve - fine if you believe that, but based on what - or you think Southend and Stevenage's form will get worse from now to the end of the season.  And we have to play them both.  Yes that might happen but it feels like we're basing the "in" vote on other teams getting worse.  Until our next win we are in a relegation battle.

Correct

And looking ahead we need points on the board quickly or we are right in the thick of this 

Tuesday night Barrow play Grimsby & Southend play Bradford

Saturday Bradford play Barrow & Grimsby play Stevenage

So some of the 7 teams below us are getting points on the board and 4 of them have games in hand on us

Lose the next two - which on current form is easily done and that trap door is getting far too close for comfort

and i would not like to predict how this squad would cope under real pressure 

Oh - and please dont anyone say we are too good to go down  

55 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

Why isn't it? why is that perceived by many as the right way? Where has it got us?

The only time we sacked a manager, in a timely manner was Sammy Lee, and we stayed up for another few years, so on balance was the right decision.

The rest, we have waited and waited and waited, and fucking nothing changes, they all get sacked eventually as they all have the same flaws two three  years later they had in the first 6 months. The only difference is we have wasted more time being a nothing football team.

Why you ask?  Because we’ve had 3-4 years of a bad owner stripping the club, lack of investment in the playing  squad meaning we were in a position where we had to build a whole squad from scratch and without money in such a short period of time , a new foundation is needed a new coaching infrastructure, a complete new squad had to be thrown together in 1 window, it would take time for even the most experienced manager. I hope some green shoots will show before the season ends, enough to encourage us to continue with Evatt. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

I wanted Big Mick but he’s now a Championship manager with Cardiff. I always felt the BWFC manager in Div 4 needs lots of experience. I don’t want to sound all Leeds United but we are miles away from where we should be

If crowds were allowed, it would be very toxic at the moment

I want to be loyal and back him as I like the guy. And he seems to speak my language in his interviews. But I am now torn - I’m 60% get rid, 40% he stays. 

Simply, we are soft as shit. Always have been since day 1 under Evatt, its a back 3 rather than a back 5

The goalie issue went on for far longer than it should have

’Playing’ out from the back should have stopped weeks ago, we just invite pressure on ourselves

Doyle has missed loads of chances but today again he was coming deep or to the wing when we only have one striker

Would love to see if Pulis wanted a gig. We need to go route 1 now. 3 points out of 18, we will be fucked if we continue like this

This is really serious now

Too often we start badly, rarely dominate sides, look weak on the physical stuff and has been said often today, lack the gamesmanship to hassle the ref, win a few easy decisions etc

Our set pieces are abominable.

That all points to the training ground and the coach for me.  I like Evatt,I want him to succeed and at the moment, I'd just about stick with him.  However, I'm not having it that another coach couldn't be getting more from this group of players.

3 hours ago, JimmyRiddle said:

I'm taken aback by the apathy of the majority of posters on here to be honest 

It’s the apathy amongst the players that should concern you more tbh. Delaney, Crawford, Sarcevic,Delf, all suffer from “couldn’t give a fuckism”  I’m old school & i’ve watched us since the 60’s, a Bolton team without fight and bottle is very hard to take. 

Edited by Burndens Bogs

• Moderators

Anyone who thinks the mess of BWFC can be turned around in one transfer window, shouldn't be allowed to attend football matches. I dont think he will have it right by the start of next season, but we will be better than this season.

He needs time and then he is judged

• Site Supporter
36 minutes ago, Horwich said:

Anyone who thinks the mess of BWFC can be turned around in one transfer window, shouldn't be allowed to attend football matches. I dont think he will have it right by the start of next season, but we will be better than this season.

He needs time and then he is judged

Can’t go talking sense here, it’s not the done thing

10 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Can’t go talking sense here, it’s not the done thing

But that doesn't fit with the narrative of the club at the start of the season, promotion was the aim, no it's or buts. According to IE we had the squad to do so. 

And to be honest, whatever is going on in the background I want the manager to be able to coach the team on a Saturday to put in a coherent performance week on week, with a strategy to win matches, and we are no nearer that than we were in August.

Everyweek his decision making can be called into question on something fundamental. So I am yet to here from anyone on what he is 'doing' , or shown, that makes you think he will get it right eventually?

Other teams have turned it around with a new manager, why not us?

Edited by JimmyRiddle

• Moderators
1 minute ago, JimmyRiddle said:

But that doesn't fit with the narrative of the club at the start of the season, promotion was the aim, no it's or buts. According to IE we had the squad to do so. 

And to be honest, whatever is going on in the background I want the manager to be able to coach the team to put in a coherent performance week on week, with a strategy to win matches, and we are no nearer that than we were in August.

Everyweek his decision making can be called into question or something fundamental. So I am yet to here from anyone on what he is 'doing' , or shown, that makes you think he will get it right eventually?

Other teams have turned it around with a new manager, why not us?

If promotion wasn’t the aim, I’d be a bit disappointed. 

Other teams have also “turned it around” by sticking with the manager, so not sure what your point is.

1 minute ago, Horwich said:

We have a manager who EVERYONE wanted

He got a bit excited at the start (who wouldnt be) and will learn from that.

He will know what positions he needs to improve on and will be working towards that.

Give him time FFS

Wanted, I didn't know the guy from Adam, but happy to give him a go, but no longer.

Again why give him time? He is pig headed, doesn't set the team up right, has a completely different view of our performance than most fans, and he is now making weird decisions like putting that Lincoln lad straight in?

We still haven't got a keeper? out left sided centre half is at Scunthorpe? The players don't know what they are doing?

Which of this changes with time?? as these are decisions he has had control of in the here and now.

• Site Supporter

Evatt is a football man, he will see what’s lacking. Sure, he’s going to have to compromise his philosophy of wanting to play like Barcelona and get some steel into the team - all part and parcel of gaining experience as a manager.

In hindsight, we should probably have gone for an experienced manager to stop the rot but I honestly think Evatt will get it right given time and the summer to reflect on this season.

Right now, I just want to win enough games to make sure we aren’t in a relegation dogfight.

2 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Evatt is a football man, he will see what’s lacking. Sure, he’s going to have to compromise his philosophy of wanting to play like Barcelona and get some steel into the team - all part and parcel of gaining experience as a manager.

In hindsight, we should probably have gone for an experienced manager to stop the rot but I honestly think Evatt will get it right given time and the summer to reflect on this season.

Right now, I just want to win enough games to make sure we aren’t in a relegation dogfight.

Your last line shouldn’t that be enough to get you worried? out of interest if we got relegated would you still be in the “give him time camp” playing in the national league?

• Moderators
1 minute ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Your last line shouldn’t that be enough to get you worried? out of interest if we got relegated would you still be in the “give him time camp” playing in the national league?

We arent going down 🙄

Just now, Horwich said:

We arent going down 🙄

I don’t think we will

but until others have played the same amount of games and we’ve made some distance you can’t dismiss it

2 minutes ago, Horwich said:

We appointed a manager with ZERO football league experience and folk expect him to be the next Pep.

Have a word with yourself and go and support colls or someone else.

He thinks he is the next Pep is the issue, but using our club to find out he's not!