Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Evatt in or out

Just now, Dimron said:

He got the sack with a 52% win ratio.

We're humming and hahhing over a guy with 27%!

Pressure will only build over the next few games if that win ratio falls further and we slip into a relegation scrap 

Of 24 managers in League 2 Evatt is already the 13th longest serving manager and he's not been in situ 7 months 

On 24/01/2021 at 18:01, Benny The Ball said:

Just want to put something out there to get other folks views ......

Just when we thought our season was up and running and Evatt got manager of the month at the end of November  - it sort of came crashing down - from the home game v Port Vale onwards , and our recent form as others have mentioned is up there with the worst in the division

This more or less coincided with the announcement of the departure of Tobias Phoenix 

Is this just a Coincidence ?  or is there something in this ? and if so what ? 

I haven't seen too much of us lately, but I can't imagine we're much worse now than we were at the start of the season. I think we're in most games and will continue to pick up wins here or there, it just so happened in November a few of those came at once. Don't think it was evidence of something clicking that has now gone awry.

I'm fine with him getting more time too, but can do without the idea that anyone saying he shouldn't is being kneejerk or impatient.

It's hardly surprising that people have doubts when the minimum expectation was the playoffs, and we're now 17th.

Edited by Tombwfc

59 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

I'm fine with him getting more time too, but can do without the idea that anyone saying he shouldn't is being kneejerk or impatient.

It's hardly surprising that people have doubts when the minimum expectation was the playoffs, and we're now 17th.

Its when you start translating 17th  into old money and start telling yourself we're 85th that's  when the doubts really kick in 

• Site Supporter
On 23/01/2021 at 22:23, JimmyRiddle said:

I'm taken aback by the apathy of the majority of posters on here to be honest 

Is apathy the same as maturity?  I reckon it's under 25s calling for his sacking. Those my age (ish) know what it's been like previously and have seen what happens at other clubs when they swap and change managers for fun. 

3 hours ago, MickyD said:

Is apathy the same as maturity?  I reckon it's under 25s calling for his sacking. Those my age (ish) know what it's been like previously and have seen what happens at other clubs when they swap and change managers for fun. 

Equally though, we've also seen in our own history the pointlessness of keeping the wrong man on. 

Again, I'm not saying he is definitely the wrong man. But, if you've reached that conclusion, it's pointless to drag it out for an arbitrary length of time to where you feel comfortable backing him.

The sackings of Lee and Megson were both pretty decisive, and both led to better results.

• Site Supporter
21 hours ago, bolty58 said:

I don't like to refresh memories of old red nose. A draw at Nottingham Forest saved his job. He went on to become the most successful manager of all time in English football unless I am mistaken.

Patience. Allow things to develop. Everything just has to be instant these days including gratification. Pretty sure most of those you mention got much more time than some seem willing to give to Evatt?

Patience is a virtue.

Patience certainly is a virtue & I would like to afford him it, however if he drags us into a battle to save our place in the football league then his job becomes untenable. 

1 hour ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Patience certainly is a virtue & I would like to afford him it, however if he drags us into a battle to save our place in the football league then his job becomes untenable. 

90% on here knew we made a howler with the keeper situation.....90% on here knew playing 3 at the back was not suited to the players we have. 80% on here want Darcy to get more game time.

We can all see the same 15 players signed on pre season as dross.....Then why do i still want to keep him

Any other manager i would be calling for his head, just think underneath all that spiel he must have something

Unless he gets rid of all the old Blackpool jolly boys reunion in May......Thats when i will change

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

His B(E)N interview yesterday was all "I understand there's frustration but please be patient with me".

At least he realises he's on borrowed time & results are vital or he's lost what support he's had.

Its amazing what folk read that isnt there

11 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

West Ham currently 4th 

Your criteria is flawed 

A screenshot in a career. They won’t finish there or close.

Manure

Sunderland

West ham first time 

Real Sociedad 

will all say he’s shite

Everton

west ham (right now)

will say he’s class.

Its not exactly an unblemished record. To be fair no West Ham fans would of been excited at his return.

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, tomski said:

Its not exactly an unblemished record. To be fair no West Ham fans would of been excited at his return.

no, but that's a different story altogether

Edited by ZicoKelly

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Couple Nolan up with Sam and I’d explode..... yes I know I’m dreaming. 

Haha.

Thing is, I wasn't even suggesting him for manager, merely that he appears to be doing well at West ham.

Fwiw, I reckon that ship has sailed now, he's no doubt happy and if he was to go into management, I dont envisage him needing to drop to league 2.

All change of course if they get the boot next season.