Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Morecambe (H)

desperado

6 minutes ago, lofthouse said:

You can’t waste time playing around at the back making poor sometimes short passes and not taking the game to the opposition ,not even having a shot in the first 30 odd minutes. We’re at home to morecombe  and we’ve only had about 15 mins of decent football. 

Utter bollocks . we were even in the first half and went one nil up ...totally bossed the second half , and even after the sending off , which should have put us on 10 v 10 ...they had one chance ....this is a team that could have gone second with a win an all they wanted was a draw . fuck them and their bus ball . 
Im more than happy with where we are at !

8 hours ago, jules_darby said:

I’d like to see it again but Doyle looked knackered by then so could well be he didn’t have the legs to do so

We’re gonna have to give him a rest soon

I thought Doyle was clever, got himself away from the defender by pulling back, if Jones had looked up, he pulls the ball back to Doyle who got himself into space & clear goal scoring position.

If we started games on the front foot and really came out of the blocks, we could have most games won by half time. We start so cautiously and with very little attacking intent, so that eventually the opposition grow in confidence and start to create chances of their own, from that point on it’s anyones game.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

7 hours ago, lofthouse said:

You can’t waste time playing around at the back making poor sometimes short passes and not taking the game to the opposition ,not even having a shot in the first 30 odd minutes. We’re at home to morecombe  and we’ve only had about 15 mins of decent football. 

Gerrit in't mixer!!

30 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

If we started games on the front foot and really came out of the blocks, we could have most games won by half time. We start so cautiously and with very little attacking intent, so that eventually the opposition grow in confidence and start to create chances of their own, from that point on it’s anyones game.

Spot on

it isn’t just a technical demonstration 

38 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

The game management following the sending off was poor, we were all over the place, another aspect Evatt lacking. 

We had 20mins to defend, but of course couldn't manage it.

Correct. when the player Charlton warned us had an attitude problem was sent off 11 minutes into his debut, we were allowed to reorganise defensively in a bid to keep mighty Morecambe at bay.

• Site Supporter

I was really pissed off last night, bit better this morning. But as I tried to analyse my own thoughts on the game, what was I pissed off about? The way we played? IEs management of the game? Maddison’s tackle? Morecambes antics? The refs poor decision? The irrational comments from some on here? 

On reflection I don’t think it was any of this. It was the result, not the result in itself (as a 1-1 draw finishing with 10 men against a side above us at another point in the season may have been considered a positive), but a draw at a time when we’d all started to believe that 3 points may, just may, elevate us to what would be this seasons holy grail - promotion.

Even with 10 men I thought the win was still on the cards, so to not get them was a big disappointment.

Once I get over the the fact that the steps forwards we are taking won’t be quick enough to get wins for promotion, I think there is more to be positive and realistic about with the players, manager, substitutions, performances and tactics than the negative amongst us would give credit.  

Thomason was fantastic - MOM

Good to see IE showed loyalty/belief in players from last victory

Good Options at LB is something we’ve not had all season

Lots of good options in CM, with Lee and Sarcevic to come back in to

Good to see new players come off the bench and given time to showcase, this was right decision from IE

Impact from the bench will change games positively 

West Ham lad immediately looked a class above.

Santos immense

Doyle scored again 

9 minutes ago, desperado said:

I was really pissed off last night, bit better this morning. But as I tried to analyse my own thoughts on the game, what was I pissed off about? The way we played? IEs management of the game? Maddison’s tackle? Morecambes antics? The refs poor decision? The irrational comments from some on here? 

On reflection I don’t think it was any of this. It was the result, not the result in itself (as a 1-1 draw finishing with 10 men against a side above us at another point in the season may have been considered a positive), but a draw at a time when we’d all started to believe that 3 points may, just may, elevate us to what would be this seasons holy grail - promotion.

Even with 10 men I thought the win was still on the cards, so to not get them was a big disappointment.

Once I get over the the fact that the steps forwards we are taking won’t be quick enough to get wins for promotion, I think there is more to be positive and realistic about with the players, manager, substitutions, performances and tactics than the negative amongst us would give credit.  

Thomason was fantastic - MOM

Good to see IE showed loyalty/belief in players from last victory

Good Options at LB is something we’ve not had all season

Lots of good options in CM, with Lee and Sarcevic to come back in to

Good to see new players come off the bench and given time to showcase, this was right decision from IE

Impact from the bench will change games positively 

West Ham lad immediately looked a class above.

Santos immense

Doyle scored again 

Agreed.

With Desperado there, frustrating that a win that could really have got us rolling didn't end up happening but a lot of good signs to take a bit of the sting out of that frustration.

With 10 men, near the end, we carved them open and made a better chance than they'd made by chucking it in the mixer for 10 minutes before that. 

More positives than negatives for sure, the set of players we had out there last night, plus a couple that weren't, genuinely ought to be capable of putting an 8-10 game run together to keep us enthused till May. I'd still like to see a bit more nastiness and edge about us, we are still a bit too nice and naive at times, if we can add that to our footballing ability that run might happen

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

With Desperado there, frustrating that a win that could really have got us rolling didn't end up happening but a lot of good signs to take a bit of the sting out of that frustration.

With 10 men, near the end, we carved them open and made a better chance than they'd made by chucking it in the mixer for 10 minutes before that. 

More positives than negatives for sure, the set of players we had out there last night, plus a couple that weren't, genuinely ought to be capable of putting an 8-10 game run together to keep us enthused till May. I'd still like to see a bit more nastiness and edge about us, we are still a bit too nice and naive at times, if we can add that to our footballing ability that run might happen

Good post. Keeping us enthused till May, is a really good point. While we might realistically look at our position and agree that promotion is a (difficult to accept) ambitious target now, to have some good performances/results combined with the mathematical possibility of promotion still being achievable, it keeps the season alive and interesting.

2 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I agree, we’re wasting our time playing to you to me to you to me then back to the goalie and he kicks it into touch !we haven’t got the player that can thread a killer pass ,just get the ball up the field quicker. Got to say Thomason looks a great prospect .

I don't think we're cautious and lack intent on purpose. 

Teams know that (for this level) we're decent in possession and we're often faced with all eleven opponents in their own half. This makes space difficult to find, so we have to knock it around to try and pull the opposition out of position.

It's not pretty at times, but far better than Parky's hoofball

23 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

One thing which stood out for me last night and it's been building to be fair, Brockbank is developing into a very decent player. He's probably still only got 25/30 games under his belt but he'll be a top player for us next season if he's still with us

Another positive, and I know he’s had criticism on here cos end product hasn’t been great, but Isgrove covered some miles. Watch our goal, if he doesn’t make the run, Doyle doesn’t have the space, he took 2 defenders with him

https://twitter.com/lostockwanderer/status/1359428615725854726?s=20

Just seen this this morning as I didn't end up watching the game live. Other than our players just getting on with it (unlike Morecambe's), what's the difference in challenge?!

Edit: If someone could embed the tweet/video, that'd be superb as I don't have a clue

Edited by matty2094

1 hour ago, Traf said:

I don't think we're cautious and lack intent on purpose. 

Teams know that (for this level) we're decent in possession and we're often faced with all eleven opponents in their own half. This makes space difficult to find, so we have to knock it around to try and pull the opposition out of position.

It's not pretty at times, but far better than Parky's hoofball

Agreed, but we need to move the ball a lot quicker to find that space.

33 minutes ago, matty2094 said:

https://twitter.com/lostockwanderer/status/1359428615725854726?s=20

Just seen this this morning as I didn't end up watching the game live. Other than our players just getting on with it (unlike Morecambe's), what's the difference in challenge?!

Edit: If someone could embed the tweet/video, that'd be superb as I don't have a clue

That challenge was far worse than Maddison's.

Just look at our players' reactions though.  Thomason jumps straight back up and a couple of half-hearted, arms out in the air, complaints to the ref.  If he'd stayed down and our players had surrounded the ref their man would've been sent off.

We really do need to stop being so 'nice'.

• Site Supporter
35 minutes ago, waffer cup 07 said:

Agreed, but we need to move the ball a lot quicker to find that space.

Agree with your agreement. We're trying to play with wingbacks but Doyle is still not getting the service he needs. Time after time he's chasing back into midfield to start a move off. I can't remember a header in earnest from him last night. His quiff didn't get ruffled in the slightest.

Anyone questioning his fitness when we signed him can think again. He's as fit as any and fitter than a lot.

I've said this before and got shot down, but 20 odd passes is too many if you're still in your own half. we've now got the players to find the space but the ball is another dozen passes away.

Edited by Francis Fogarty