Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Switching support

Underpants

1 minute ago, Underpants said:

If we had gone tits up I would have fucked football off totally. But a Bury fan at work is now a Man City fan. He was rushing home tonight to catch the game on telly.

Weren't most Bury fans either United or City fans as well anyway?

41 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Nah load of old tosh that

few Bury fans lean towards city but think that’s more to do with the “lads” link 

2 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

It bloody isnt tosh. They used to sell Utd stuff in their club shop ffs! The Bury Times surveyed a few of their fans asking what they thought about it.  To a man they said they didnt care so long as they never stocked any Wanderers stuff! 

That was birthdays days which was owned by Utd shareholder Ron wood, Bury fans were not impressed but it was financial from the top dogs 

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Nah load of old tosh that

few Bury fans lean towards city but think that’s more to do with the “lads” link 

I’ve been going to Bury on occasional shopping trips for around 25 years. There was, 25 years ago, a prevalence of United shirts on show around town. Nowadays you’re at least as likely, if not slightly more likely, to see city shirts and bench coats, hats, etc.

Bury don’t deserve a league club. 

I used to work with a Bury fan. His other club was fucking Arsenal for fuck’s sake!

I’ve got a mate who is a Watford fan but he’s been with me to matches at Leicester and Wimbledon 

My other half is a Watford fan and went watching them play Burnley when they were in the prem. Awful match, 0-0 and it pissed it down, last match on MOTD as well 

I won’t be going there in a hurry, though the set up with the bars etc for pints and food is top notch 

I'd watch non league for somet to do same as Marple.  There's something about just being in a football crowd watching grass roots stuff where nobody takes it too seriously, its just a shared love of the game how it was meant to be.  

But I'd expect there'd be a phoenix club so I'd get the non league and BWFC fix in one go.  Hope that's not tempted fate given our league position.

• Site Supporter

One of the weirdest things I've ever witnessed was a bloke down my local who was a "staunch" Liverpool fan - although he'd never been to Anfield. He fucking hated Manchester United with a passion, and let everyone know it as often as possible. Wore his Liverpool shirt to the pub most nights. He did a bit of manual labour for another local, who'd been a season ticket holder at Old Trafford for decades, along with his 2 sons. One of the Man United fans' sons was on holiday and couldn't go to the match, so his dad offered his ticket to anyone interested. Liverpool fan inexplicably took him up on the offer.

I went into my local the following Monday, and Liverpool fella is sat there in a Manchester United shirt. Started calling Liverpool fans "bin-dipping scum" etc, and acted like he was a life-long United fan. I ripped the piss out of him, but it was like water off a duck's back. I couldn't believe it. Still can't.

He's not mentally disabled or anything. He worked for Currys as an engineer last time I saw him. Fucking mental.

2 minutes ago, MickyD said:

I’ve been going to Bury on occasional shopping trips for around 25 years. There was, 25 years ago, a prevalence of United shirts on show around town. Nowadays you’re at least as likely, if not slightly more likely, to see city shirts and bench coats, hats, etc.

I used to work with a Bury fan. His other club was fucking Arsenal for fuck’s sake!

There's plenty on here with second teams, be it political or other. But for the life of me I can not get my head around this second team thing.

1 hour ago, DazBob said:

Nailed on. Bury fans support the rags or Man City as well

If it wasn’t for the wanderers I’d of left football behind. I hate all other teams these days

I do have a second team though. ABU. I get as much of a buzz out of them winning as I do the whites

Edited by tomski

I think I would have started watching a team from a different country as I wouldn't want to not watch football, but having them as "my team", not sure I could do that.

I'd hope for the best teams that helped the club at it's lowest. I have no hard feelings towards preston after they donated to the food bank, etc. Wouldn't have said they were my club though if it had gone tits up

23 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Same for many towns up & down the country you walk in bolton and you see Utd shirts

having grown up/ worked etc in Bury I can honestly say I know of no fans who have a second team

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Same for many towns up & down the country you walk in bolton and you see Utd shirts

having grown up/ worked etc in Bury I can honestly say I know of no fans who have a second team

Except you  🤪

I go watching Livingston as I’ve said and have a season ticket but it’s because it’s a game of football that’s local to me and more to do with the fact I like the club and its community feel set up than a support. 

if they lose it doesn’t spoil my weekend. If they win it doesn’t make my weekend. If I could never watch them ever again I would be pissed off as I would need to find summat else to be doing but it wouldn’t haunt me for the rest of my days like it would if bwfc went pop. You can’t love a second team it’s just not possible for my way of thinking