Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Switching support

Underpants

Went to a Chorley game once. It was shit and I went to the pub. 

Winds me up on talksport when Dave from Essex is allowed a say about his beloved dmbs or just Goldstein. There is no stigma attached to their pathetic glory hunting and people allow them an opinion.

I suppose it’s the reaction they want.

14 minutes ago, tomski said:

Winds me up on talksport when Dave from Essex is allowed a say about his beloved dmbs or just Goldstein. There is no stigma attached to their pathetic glory hunting and people allow them an opinion.

I was near Colchester on work few years back, spotted lovely pub, walk in and just about to order a pint when I saw a Man U Essex reds flag on the wall, fucked off double sharp. Scum glory hunting wankers. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

24 minutes ago, tomski said:

On any football phone in anyone who says 'I was not able to go today' or 'do not go that often' should be fucked off and not allowed to comment. 
I would also only allow drunk people to be broadcast but that might be harder to police

1 hour ago, Ani said:

On any football phone in anyone who says 'I was not able to go today' or 'do not go that often' should be fucked off and not allowed to comment. 
I would also only allow drunk people to be broadcast but that might be harder to police

Radio Manchester is prime for some of those. I remember driving back from the UniBolt last season and someone had openly admitted they'd relied on Jack Dearden's commentary before going on to comment on the performance of X, Y and Z. Infuriating.

11 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Can't have a second team.

Having said that, if I'm honest doesn't even feel like I've got a 'first' team anymore.

Seen us once this season, Salford on Sky and that's it. I barely know the names of the players and wouldn't recognise a single one if I tripped over them. 

You're not alone. And that would go for last season, and probably the season before that.

I can barely be arsed watching a full Bolton game nevermind adopting another team to put time and effort into. Fuck that.

Theres loads over this way that came out of the woodwork when Blackpool got in prem. Same with the emergance of Fleetwood.

For me, that earth stopping moment when your team is about to score, whether you're in the ground, listening on radio or reading live score app, cannot be recreated with anyone else. No matter how much you try.

That shits ingrained. Youve either got it or you haven't .

22 hours ago, frank_spencer said:

Even back in my days at Bury CofE High School there was only 3 kids in my entire year who were Bury fans.

United dominated the support with liverpool and city close behind, handfull of Bolton fans and a random assortment of others who's parents were from elsewhere.

The main difference was the Reds never actually went to games (if you exclude the forest fan who went with his dad home and away) so they'd be in school mouthing off about how their chosen team was so much better but they'd never witnessed the joy within a limbs moment of a last minute equaliser like those who actually went. That's what being a fan is about not sat watching on telly. I've hated this season because watching on telly/laptop is shit compared to being there. I'd rather watch a shit side in person with other fans than watch a winning side through the telly.

Agree completely.  I hate the fact that lockdown has made all "fans" equal, we all watch on TV, none of us have the "limbs" moments and none of us have the moral high ground of travelling and watching in the freezing cold.  If it goes on another year there's a danger it becomes "normal" to not attend and just cant happen.

There is now an App available to download if you want to switch clubs .

It even finds you an ideal club based on your latest profile details.

Enter - place of birth. ( it does warn that it is 56% guaranteed  that is NOT the club you want to support).

Current top of the league. ( this is important)

It records your actual location on matchdays , if a high percentage of that is your home address ,automatically it narrows down suggestions to the current top 4 clubs in the Premier and the previous 3 seasons FA Cup winners.

As a add on to the app. It changes any photo in your Internet history wearing a club shirt. To your latest club.

App is - Glory Hunting Tossers .

Massive uptake in  London Postcode areas .

3 hours ago, gonzo said:

I can barely be arsed watching a full Bolton game nevermind adopting another team to put time and effort into. Fuck that.

Theres loads over this way that came out of the woodwork when Blackpool got in prem. Same with the emergance of Fleetwood.

For me, that earth stopping moment when your team is about to score, whether you're in the ground, listening on radio or reading live score app, cannot be recreated with anyone else. No matter how much you try.

That shits ingrained. Youve either got it or you haven't .

Great description, spot on.

There's supporting your team because you just cant help and it, and then there's watching football, because you like football.  Or cricket, or rugby or whatever.  2 completely different things.  If we lose BWFC, any alternative is an enjoyable pass time like any other hobby, all good but devoid of highs and lows.

6 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Radio Manchester is prime for some of those. I remember driving back from the UniBolt last season and someone had openly admitted they'd relied on Jack Dearden's commentary before going on to comment on the performance of X, Y and Z. Infuriating.

Was he called RUReady2Moan?

23 hours ago, Alf Hartigan said:

I've always followed local cricket through the BEN but never had a team.

Went watching a Lostock 20/20 a couple of summers ago, some good ale and refreshments on a sunny day.

Think they won too.

I played for LL so I’m biased.

But i would happily go onto any club in Bolton for a pint and to watch a game bar Egerton that is. I don’t even know if all the clubs are stil there tbh

cricket isn’t for everyone but on a sunny day it’s great for the soul with a few cold beers 

5 hours ago, emus wig said:

I can always find a reason to hate any team we play from previous games against them . So pretty much despise everyone one else 😐

That’s where i’m at, but if we’d gone tits i’d have probably gone to watch Chorley, it’s just not the same though - they aren’t my club.