Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Stevenage (H)

Burndens Bogs

• Moderators
11 hours ago, marple whites said:

We got 3 points and a clean sheet.

they weren’t the worst we have played.

starting to get some consistency, let 1 goal in, in 3 games, good run of fixtures coming up, keep winning and who knows.

crap red card, from a ref who has sent 5 off in our last 6 he has reffed, surely get that over turned

only negative is we should be putting teams like that to the sword

Aye, 1-0 and you get nervous every time the opposition get a set peice

7 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

Possibly, or does Doyle not do enough/not able to make this formation work?? That's the question.

I have never questioned his effort or endeavour, but expect more than just that. I expect him to be able to pass 5 yards to the unmarked Fonz without hitting the sole defender!

All I want is bog standard centre forward play, hold the ball up and pop it back off to the midfield, or small mercies turn it around the corner for our wingers. Now no one objectively can say Doyle does this to ant great effect.

Personally he always seem to want to drop deep so play him there as the 10 and get someone else leading the line.

However, I just feel there is something fundamentally wrong somewhere when have so many attacking players on the pitch but struggle to score goals, or even create that man chances. First half hour looked an improvement yesterday but soon reverted to type

He drops deep because he is being starved of service , the place for a player like Doyle is in the box . Let's just see how he fares now we have got better quality into the squad .

5 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

So far this season Doyle has done his job, he should have scored from Maddisons corner yesterday, hit the target and it's in, unfortunately some of our summer signing haven't even done the basics and have been well below average, way to many of them, hence why we have struggled, Doyle hasn't been brilliant or shite, he is a League 2 forward that most clubs would probably kill for, after witnessing some centre forward lumps at other clubs, mainly that pile of shit Cole Stockton, I'm pretty glad he's ours.

He will get 20 goals this season barring injuries.

Aye Doyle is doing fine

my only criticism would be sometimes he tries to place a shot instead of leathering it 

1 hour ago, JimmyRiddle said:

Who the fuck are you??

I think Doyle his hold up play is limited, he's slow , doesn't work the channel that well,  and doesn't help the way we want to play. His legs are gone, all this is just my opinion. Part of our problem has been being able to keep the ball up the pitch and he is the common denominator. Yes he has scored some goals, but that's his job, but he has been an integral part of an under performing squad, and as the marquee signing, don't think he lived up to the billing.

He is 10th in the goals per minute chart, so hardly ripping up any tress for the love in you and others give him, so why is he beyond reproach?.

Yesterday I commented he should have been taken off to leave us more pace up top with 10 men, again my opinion, and what most other teams do. But you and others just get prissy, don't offer anything other than how dare you he is our top scorer!!! Yada yada yada. He has played virtually minute of every game, so as the league's top scorer last season, I expect more! But stats would suggest he is a journeyman average striker.

To be fair to him he is a grafter and not sure our formation does him any favours, but that is Evatt as much as him. And that clearance he made right at the end was v good. So it not all negative.

I am not even suggesting we have anyone better, or he is the worst player n the team, that is your perception. I comment because I expect more from.him than most,  but he will not be mentioned in the same breath in the future as some of the decent forwards we've had. But what I will say he has done nothing to warrant the love in you and others have for him!

And as long as it keeps winding plebs like you up, encourages me to keep dropping his name in there.

Ultimately we all want success and I would like to see an alternative to Doyle up front, then we would know one way or another, but not really sure who his competition is, maybe Miller??

Have a nice day snowflake.

Think you are the one getting worked up not me. I think Doyle, used properly is one of our greatest assets and is a clever player. At this level much better than we could expect . Did his legs go in the summer after top scoring last season? Hes still on target for 20 in a (so far) very poor side feeding on scraps.

Doyle is the least of our problems , getting the right service to him is & for that matter Delfonso who has been unmarked in the box with the goal at his mercy on three seperate occasions in the last two games .Very often its the wrong choice as when Brockbank chose to shoot instead of chip a ball to the unmarked Fonz the other night against Morecambe  (which would have put us two up ) .Sarcevic playing something like is the key for me .He isn’t quick but has the ability to deliver that killer pass , he has the control that others lack .If he was quick let’s face it he wouldn’t be playing for us .They used to say John Byrom was a yard slow for the top level but he was good enough for us in leagues two & three.

As soon as Sarcevic is fit he’ll be back in & the goals will come.

Edited by Take Hunt Off
Shite spelling

We are improving every game, the more this team plays then the better we will get. Promotion is Defo in our sights.

i think that even the tin pot Evatt out brigade can see that and are starting to get rattled, they realise that they are gonna look mighty fools in a few weeks time.

Theyll disappear from here, they’ll just keep sniping in the Bolton news that we should have had it won by January if Evatt had known what he was doing! 

Makes me cringe but hey that’s entertainment! 

15 minutes ago, waffer cup 07 said:

Just think how many he would get with some service.

Correct.  My problem with Jimmy Riddle's criticism (apart from his claim his legs have gone which is just untrue) is the criticism should be of the system so far not the player himself. He probably does need 3 or so chances for every goal but we should be getting the ball into the box more crosses more quality  passses like Sarce v Salford and bang problem solved. Not having him coming out deep desperate for the ball. We should be finding him if we do that we go up. Sounds simple i know but hopefully we have players now and Evatt can use them effectively 

6 hours ago, waddy256 said:

Fair enough . 
I take it back and Ill apologise to him next time he's on.

You don’t need to apologise Waddy, it’s water off a ducks back mate. I’m not trying to be negative though, just objective and I call things as I see them. What frustrates me is that we can be so much better, even IE admitted that we dropped into 2nd gear after we scored and we keep doing it. We take ten passes to get near their area, then six back to ours instead of pushing forward. It’s the character in the team I’m most critical of. We need someone on the field to bang heads and push the players and we don’t seem to have that.

I’m sure once they settle in, the new players like Maddison, Dapo and John will deliver but I’m not settling for less than 100% effort. Maybe I was a little harsh in my summary yesterday, more frustration and disappointment than anything but I stand by my belief we were poor and should have gone on to win comfortably after our excellent start.

8 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Anyone would think we'd not just got 7 points out of 9 ... which would've been 9 out of 9 if not for inept refereeing.

Hmm

If we’d have been more than one up, the shit reffing wouldn’t have come into the equation!

13 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Hmm

If we’d have been more than one up, the shit reffing wouldn’t have come into the equation!

I think that was Evatt's view, the red was questionable but it shouldn't have had so much impact if we'd kept our foot on the pedal more after such a good start.

Last thing I expected after 10 mins was to be talking about Santos or Baptiste as MoM

• Site Supporter

Doyle puts some miles in tracking back to get a move started, but is not getting the service to give us a happy ending. You'd think that with MM and the West Hammer we'd be making more chances for him and Fonz. All we need to do is keep 11 on the pitch now, then we can see what the new lads can do. The next couple of games will show.

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, Zico said:

As much as Doyle covers large areas of the pitch, I don't want to see him with ball deep or on the wing

Ideally not, but I don't mind if support arrives quickly into the space he creates.

Looking for all these attacking players to do that.

The two new fellas will look to come in field at times, so should be available. 

Either that or stay wider and put the crosses in. Halfalion showed he can do that on a couple of occasions.

I like Doyle, especially that he's not lazy, covers back and it obviously matters to him.

I'd prefer him not to have to constantly come back looking for the ball. To be fair to Evatt he's brought Isgrove, his partner last year, and now has Arthur, Afo & Madman to help feed him.

I can't believe some people on here are doubting him & so dismissively. 

Edited by Dr. Feelgood