Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Beer Gardens

bolton_blondie

• Site Supporter

Teatime Dave is dead now. He was never the same after his appearance on the gameshow 15-to-1. Having been cajoled into it after spending many an afternoon propping up the bar at the Gypsies Tent and getting loads of answers correct, he finally got on and was eliminated at the first attempt having got all his questions wrong.

Never spoke of it again.

Greasy used to own a chippy, hence his moniker. Bopper was a merchant navy man. Harry the Bastard was, quite simply, an utter bastard.

Salt of the earth types.

I know somebody who went on the original William G Stewart (who, incidentally, added the 'G' to his name to appeal to the yoof market) 'Fifteen to One' - he did shit an' all, they gave each contestant a VHS copy of the show.

The tight bastards stuck it on a C30 tape - so you couldn't even cover the poke hole up with tape, or dice with death and clog it up with scrunched-up paper then tape Endsleigh League Extra over it ("you are number 1!" No we're not, Dreadzone, at very best we are top of number 2).

Edited by Youri McAnespie

1 hour ago, Spider said:

his mates Bopper, Greasy Graham, Teatime Dave, Harry the Bastard and Dirtyneck

Add in Ashburner Market Fish Stall Face, Early Dart, The Squelcher, The Shark and Son of Bat and a bag of fizzy worms......and I reckon that's the full compliment of people that @embankmentgoes to the match with

I lived round there when I was a kid. Youri is right about the corner shops. Within two blocks either side of Elgin Street/Eskrick Street junction you had everything you ever needed.

Two greengrocers, butcher's on Hughes Street, chippy (Bills), pub (Bowling Green), little supermarket (Hanburys), GP surgery (next door to Bowling Green), newsagents, two hairdressers for the ladies, barbers for the gents (Les Bragg), two primary schools (one CofE on RC) , a big fuck off church of either persuasion, a secondary school (Brownlow Fold), hardware shop opposite the chippy. I think there was even a bookies next door to Les Bragg's.

If you needed a chemist you had to venture 4 blocks up Elgin street, past another shop, another hairdressers to the chemist opposite ex WW2 pilot Jimmy Gulshen's newsagents.

• Members
47 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I started frequenting a flat roofer near me pre lockdown. Characters galore. Next door to the obligatory bookies and the chippy two doors down 😁

Usually an independent bookie. Dodgy as fuck 

8 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

I lived round there when I was a kid. Youri is right about the corner shops. Within two blocks either side of Elgin Street/Eskrick Street junction you had everything you ever needed.

Two greengrocers, butcher's on Hughes Street, chippy (Bills), pub (Bowling Green), little supermarket (Hanburys), GP surgery (next door to Bowling Green), newsagents, two hairdressers for the ladies, barbers for the gents (Les Bragg), two primary schools (one CofE on RC) , a big fuck off church of either persuasion, a secondary school (Brownlow Fold), hardware shop opposite the chippy. I think there was even a bookies next door to Les Bragg's.

If you needed a chemist you had to venture 4 blocks up Elgin street, past another shop, another hairdressers to the chemist opposite ex WW2 pilot Jimmy Gulshen's newsagents.

You've done the "Eeeh - everything were better then..."

But missed out the "today it's..." followed by some barely concealed racist vitriol. 😀

There was a house opposite The Bowling Green that intrigued me, no proper windows etc. I never thought about it just being a house a kitchen fitter or sommat used as a workshop.

The first house proper after it was very poor, there was nowt like that in affluent G/L

37 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Add in Ashburner Market Fish Stall Face, Early Dart, The Squelcher, The Shark and Son of Bat and a bag of fizzy worms......and I reckon that's the full compliment of people that @embankmentgoes to the match with

Ashburner STREET Market Fish Stall Face....

You've missed Swedish Al......

😮

5 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Betting slips behind the bar and he would phone the bets round for you save you the 10 yard walk and you felt obliged to order another round  for his troubles “one for yerself pal”

Last time I was properly in pub for an all dater was March 13th Gold Cup day, pub had all races on TV with a bloke in the corner just taking bets. If you had a bet you could eat from the free buffet too. 

I miss the pub  

11 minutes ago, Ani said:

Last time I was properly in pub for an all dater was March 13th Gold Cup day, pub had all races on TV with a bloke in the corner just taking bets. If you had a bet you could eat from the free buffet too. 

I miss the pub  

We usually have a big day out gold cup day. I miss them as well. Clinging on til they’re open 

Edited by Escobarp