Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Are we going up?

globaldiver

3 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

I agree with most of that except your assertion that 'nobody can live with our attack'.  When we're banging in goals left, right and centre I'm there but at the moment outside of Doyle, the others aren't yet scoring enough.

Its only a minor gripe. So long as we're still winning I dont really care but I think you've overstated things there.

Must admit that was my thoughts too, difficult to watch our games and think we're full of shots on target, with the recent exception of the first half against Cambridge that was a breath of fresh air.  Struggled to create in the others, just not as much as the opposition have.  Hard to say Doyle's bang in form in front of goal too, 5 from open play in last 19.  Love his penalties by the way, but can't rely on those given how soft the 2 pen awards have been.

• Site Supporter
27 minutes ago, victor meldrew said:

in our last 5 games , we seem to shit it in the last 5 mins + injury time , why?

Fortunately, only Bradford have capitalised on our inability to take more than a goad advantage into the 85th minute + injury time.

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, MickyD said:

Had a quick peep on Walsallways and had a read of their post match reaction. Many of them, despite their arguably superior showing and one goal lead at half-time, were placing bets on a Bolton victory because they “didn’t want to pass up a 4/1 cert.”

Folk took 33/1 earlier in season on Walsall to be relegated from football league. Who would do that?

another interesting quote:

On a separate note , both Norman and Clarke are now professional free kick winners , let’s be polite and put it that way .

Nice to see my estranged Latvian, Walsall-supporting cousin on there. 😁

55 minutes ago, ZiggyStardust said:

I was going to do it and the first game is FGR v BWFC...at which point I thought, if we win we'll probably finish above them and therefore go up, if we lose we'd need them to drop a lot of points even if we win the last 9.  Big game coming up.

I did a spreadsheet ( going back to work so needed a refresher) it is based on last 10 games over rest of the season. 
Based on that we are going up as Champions but it also assumes we only drop 1 point in the next.

My spreadsheet is really useless tbh. 
Thought I would share. 

16 hours ago, victor meldrew said:

in our last 5 games , we seem to shit it in the last 5 mins + injury time , why?

How long have you watched Bolton ?

There can't be a club, over the 50+ years, that have let in more last minute goals, in either half, than we have.

Though I have it on very good authority, from other fans, of other clubs, that it's not us, it's them.

The only thing more certain than us letting in a late one, is that if I switch the radio on, during a game, we will immediately concede. It appears to be a law. You'll be relieved to know I now steadfastly refuse to do this.

28 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

How long have you watched Bolton ?

There can't be a club, over the 50+ years, that have let in more last minute goals, in either half, than we have.

Though I have it on very good authority, from other fans, of other clubs, that it's not us, it's them.

The only thing more certain than us letting in a late one, is that if I switch the radio on, during a game, we will immediately concede. It appears to be a law. You'll be relieved to know I now steadfastly refuse to do this.

I thought that was just me.  Over the years putting GMR on for the commentary of an away game, and sometimes only joining it a few minutes after KO, and Jack Dearden's just describing the 1st goal conceded "and its a disastrous start from Bolton Wanderers".  Carlisle with 2 early goals took the biscuit, but at least in this league you know there's a way back, in the championship at places like Boro and Derby it was immediately followed by the off button.

34 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I thought that was just me.  Over the years putting GMR on for the commentary of an away game, and sometimes only joining it a few minutes after KO, and Jack Dearden's just describing the 1st goal conceded "and its a disastrous start from Bolton Wanderers".  Carlisle with 2 early goals took the biscuit, but at least in this league you know there's a way back, in the championship at places like Boro and Derby it was immediately followed by the off button.

That's tickled me that because I was sure it was me too.  Our appalling away form in the 80s was down to me putting Piccadilly on.  I finally broke that curse when we were away at Bournemouth in the promotion year. Switched on just as Browny scored the winner.  

31 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

That's tickled me that because I was sure it was me too.  Our appalling away form in the 80s was down to me putting Piccadilly on.  I finally broke that curse when we were away at Bournemouth in the promotion year. Switched on just as Browny scored the winner.  

Was even better being there. I’m on the fence celebrating that winner on the video. Fantastic week that was. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Was even better being there. I’m on the fence celebrating that winner on the video. Fantastic week that was. 

Used to be ace on terraces, rushing down to the front and climbing on the fences after a goal. i was on the fence that night too. Great times.