Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bratfud Away

Steejay

2 hours ago, ianofcleveleys said:

Momentum can be a factor in last dozen or so games, as can squad size and quality, we've both of those to call upon. Cheltenham and Morecambe both maintaining consistent progress, as are Exeter, most of the rest throwing an off one in now and then. 

I didn't particularly rate Cambridge last time, if Crellin hadn't chucked one in we'd have beaten them on their own patch even with the half a team we had then. 

Was frustrating today only because it was another nearly-but-not-quite day, great defensive structure and workrate, collective commitment, plenty of possession, stylish play up to final third but, the big but, not clinical enough again with final decision, pass, cross. Corners were awful again too. Isgrove's look like he's a kid on an adults pitch who's struggling to get it further than near post.

Lots of takes on Doyle tonight, for me he's a L1/2 striker for a reason. He's a bit too particular where he wants the ball when it comes in, doesn't gamble enough and is on his heels too often on balls that are fired into that corridor of uncertainty around six yard line, and by his own admission, doesn't like heading it much. He's a flat footed runner without much pace, doesn't stretch defences, his hold up play isn't anything special and he doesn't make it stick enough if anything is put up to him above waist height.

Having said all that, I wouldn't particularly put Miller in before him and we've nobody else in the wings so either he needs to try to adapt (not that likely) or we need to work harder at being more accurate and selective with our crossing, so he gets it where he wants it more often, then it's up to him to convert a big enough percentage.

Great stuff, agree with every word.  I would say that my opinion of Doyle has shifted slightly from being a nailed on league one striker when we go up (this season or next) to being a "maybe, we should be able to get better".  A bit limited, but you know what you're going to get, and attitude/commitment can't be faulted.  Just that other teams will probably have a striker that has more of an all round game in league one.

57 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

I always thought Lee was quality right from his debut at Exeter.

Hes pushed on another level the last 2 games.

If there's more to come from him and I don't know whether there is, he'll rip this division a new one

A pleasure to watch Lee, always in control, never flustered.  Where I would say he could improve compared to his CV, is providing a goal threat.  At Sheff Wed, runs into the box seemed to be a feature of his game, we've not seen any sign of that.  MJW is completely defensively minded, so no reason for the other centre not to be allowed to break forward.  Between Sarce and Lee their CV says shots at goal, the reality has been very different, so we are completely reliant on the strikers, we aren't getting much from attacking midfielders.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

A pleasure to watch Lee, always in control, never flustered.  Where I would say he could improve compared to his CV, is providing a goal threat.  At Sheff Wed, runs into the box seemed to be a feature of his game, we've not seen any sign of that.  MJW is completely defensively minded, so no reason for the other centre not to be allowed to break forward.  Between Sarce and Lee their CV says shots at goal, the reality has been very different, so we are completely reliant on the strikers, we aren't getting much from attacking midfielders.

Confidence - it's coming. Our instinct at the moment is try to win but don't lose.

Once the realise they are in the top 1 talented sides in the division, I think the shackles will losen a touch.

Enjoy the ride over the next 10 weeks. How's yer nerves

14 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Confidence - it's coming. Our instinct at the moment is try to win but don't lose.

Once the realise they are in the top 1 talented sides in the division, I think the shackles will losen a touch.

Enjoy the ride over the next 10 weeks. How's yer nerves

100% better than they were a month ago when I was more concerned about how Grimsby and Southend went on than Cheltenham and FGR.  This is enjoyable, how football should be, if it all goes pear shaped, we start again in August with a much better squad than 6 months ago.  And watching live.

2 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Someone in that top 3 will probably sink like a stone, it usually happens. Also, a team thats been in a play off position most of the season will throw a wobbly and fall down the division. Twists and turns yet.

agree with this, it's exciting times i'm gutted we only drew today we deserved all 3 points but i  still feel confident we'll be somewhere in the top 7 come the end of the season

Just like to say very well played today in what was an entertaining game, unlike most in this division. Thought overall you looked the stronger and fitter side and if you play everyone like that i'm sure you will be in the automatics. Our strong point is our defence which kept us in the game today right to the death, and with a player like Rowe in your side we're always a threat when just 1 down. That Lee in your midfield looks a great player and ran the middle of the park today. If you had a better striker than Doyle you would improve massively. Anyhow good luck for the rest of the season and I hope you go on another great run beating teams we're chasing along the way.

2 minutes ago, Hoofy said:

Just like to say very well played today in what was an entertaining game, unlike most in this division. Thought overall you looked the stronger and fitter side and if you play everyone like that i'm sure you will be in the automatics. Our strong point is our defence which kept us in the game today right to the death, and with a player like Rowe in your side we're always a threat when just 1 down. That Lee in your midfield looks a great player and ran the middle of the park today. If you had a better striker than Doyle you would improve massively. Anyhow good luck for the rest of the season and I hope you go on another great run beating teams we're chasing along the way.

Thanks Hoofy and good luck for the rest of the season. Be good if we both could get up and meet next season in L1

30 minutes ago, Hoofy said:

Fair assesment i’d say, you were fortunate to get a point from the game imo but hey ho thats how it goes ,  i  wouldn’t mind betting Doyle will be in the top 3 of top goalscorers in this division come the end of the season.No problem with away fans coming  on here who aren’t twattish. All the best

• Site Supporter
43 minutes ago, Hoofy said:

Listening to your commentators I was wondering how I'd missed Rowe playing for Barcelona 😁, but fair fucks he took his chance brilliantly. 

21 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Lots of Bolton fans living over here in Wigan Micky, it makes their plight even sweeter somehow. I love taking my dog for a walk in Haigh with my BWFC bob hat on, especially after we've won and they've lost, it winds them up no end.

You get excited and big it up because you have a fan base in Wigan, and..... we have fans in numbers in Halifax who are also tin pot

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

Doyle is a L2 striker. A decent one I believe and not one we are using to full potential but if our starting 11 today started in L1 in August, a striker would be my 1st target - after replacing Gilks

So a striker would be your 2nd target? 

23 minutes ago, Bradford lad said:

How come every 6th / 7th user profile image has naked women in your website?

Either your Bolton girls are ugly or it's an improvement on your club logo

No idea, I set when I joined as an excitable 15 year old back in 2006 and have never really thought about it since.

You have made me just realise that I’ve been a member on here for half my life - I dread to think how many hours that equates to!

1 hour ago, Bradford lad said:

How come every 6th / 7th user profile image has naked women in your website?

Either your Bolton girls are ugly or it's an improvement on your club logo

And it’s the best you’re going to manage until you can finally crack the parental protection code on your mum and dad’s WiFi. 

The disappointing thing about yesterday was how badly organised Bolton were defensively after taking the lead on 83 mins.This isn't the well drilled Allardyce 2000/01 promotion team.I think Mr Evatt must improve if that's how they go about defending  a lead in big matches