Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cambridge (H)

Eddie

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, ErnestTurnip said:

What changed that was one of the most experienced keepers in the league making an absolutely shocking mistake, not Maddison coming on.

They were already causing more problems for the back line by then. The fact that the fella had so much time to line up the shot was testament to the effect of taking off our captain.

Of course the keeper has made a howler, but Maddison is way off, and the pressure on their defence weakened when he came on.

2 minutes ago, Totty Whites said:

Taking Sarce off changed the game. Still can't see what Maddison brings, ok hit the post but still but not up to speed.

He ain't fit, far from it. He's not what we need right now. Maybe fetch him on for the last 5 mins if we ever have the luxury of being 3 nil up.

Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

They were already causing more problems for the back line by then. The fact that the fella had so much time to line up the shot was testament to the effect of taking off our captain.

Of course the keeper has made a howler, but Maddison is way off, and the pressure on their defence weakened when he came on.

Maddison gives it away more times than he actually beats his man, for someone that has come from a league above, has to do better. I'd take Crawford back over him any day of the week.

Think he gave it away just before the howler too, not that it's his fault for Gilks mistake but you're right, after Maddison's introduction we were less threatening and more on the back foot.

Well from the sadness before the game i think the lads turned in a blistering performance . Power and pace coupled with some superb one touch play it really was a joy to watch .

My personal view is the sub was made a bit early at 70 minutes , before that it was a case of how many we would get . Regarding Maddison , we desperately need something positive to come from him , at the minute , poor in the tackle , rolling all over when tackled and seemingly struggling to find a white shirt with a pass , we need to start seeing a bit of something to justify him being brought off the bench .

All in all a great win and a great performance in memory of the 33.

5 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

What changed that was one of the most experienced keepers in the league making an absolutely shocking mistake, not Maddison coming on.

That shot came in because Maddison couldn’t keep the ball on the wing and instead went down pretending to be fouled. Cambridge broke on us and within 10 seconds Gilks was facing a shot that admittedly he should have saved.

It wasn’t just a one off either, a few minutes before he’d done exactly the same and gone down clutching his ankle like he’d broke it - nothing was given, we’re on the back foot and defending a man short.

Just after he came on we were knocking it about nicely in the middle of the park, Lee had pushed on and was ahead of the ball and Maddison picks it up and tries a worldy diagonal that was easily cut out by their right back and they broke with us chasing our tails and ended up getting a soft shot in.

I can get over the fact that he puts a free kick straight in the wall, or misses a chance or two - it’s his impact on the team side of things that winds me up. 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, captainmed said:

We absolutely battered the team in 2nd place who have won 4 of their last 5 away games.

It should have been 4 or 5.

It wasn’t, who cares.

It’s another 3 points and a win on Saturday will put us right in the mix.

Fucking hell, agree, word for word

Until sarcevic went off, that was perfect

2 minutes ago, captainmed said:

We absolutely battered the team in 2nd place who have won 4 of their last 5 away games.

It wasn’t, who cares.

We are a league 1 team in league 2. Automatic is there for the taking. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

That shot came in because Maddison couldn’t keep the ball on the wing and instead went down pretending to be fouled. Cambridge broke on us and within 10 seconds Gilks was facing a shot that admittedly he should have saved.

It wasn’t just a one off either, a few minutes before he’d done exactly the same and gone down clutching his ankle like he’d broke it - nothing was given, we’re on the back foot and defending a man short.

Just after he came on we were knocking it about nicely in the middle of the park, Lee had pushed on and was ahead of the ball and Maddison picks it up and tries a worldy diagonal that was easily cut out by their right back and they broke with us chasing our tails and ended up getting a soft shot in.

I can get over the fact that he puts a free kick straight in the wall, or misses a chance or two - it’s his impact on the team side of things that winds me up. 

Agree with all that. and because he tried to con the referee he was never going to get a decision to break up the game. Total liability im afraid but lets not be negative. Sarce had covered every blade of grass he was immense. our defence is great now. Lee and Williams fantastic Dapo superb and Doyle back to his best. We fear nobody.  Now dont we owe somebody for a home drubbing earlier this season?

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Biggish Dave said:

A few H2H games on Saturday too, be a perfect game to win timing wise

Yep, just had a look. FGR play Harrogate too, who are coming on strong themselves, with 7 wins in 10 games.

We've got to keep up that level of play, and take our chances against Vale. 

Just keep winning. 

20 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

The momentum had already changed before Gilks' balls up.

Of course, had he not let that in I'm sure we'd have won more comfortably, but there's no denying how much poorer we were after that sub.

Apart from one good cross, all Maddison did was make the wrong decision and surrender possession every time he got the ball.

We were quality all over the pitch, the back 4 look as settled and as solid as I’ve seen out back 4 for a long long time. Declan John is different class and was unplayable down the left with Dapo - I’d be confident they could play in L1 and be one of the best left sides in that league too.

Lee is also far too good to be playing at this level, but Williams has a big say in how good they’re playing as a midfield pair - a proper unsung hero who also has an eye for a forward pass that I didn’t know he had in him in those first couple of games.

I also thought Doyle had his best game for a long time, took his goal really well but his whole hold up play was next level today. Really unlucky not to get a couple more.

8 wins and 2 draws in the last 10 games, with the 2 draws coming from a last minute goal and a wrong sending off. We’re going up automatically, it’s just a question of whether we’ll win the title for me.

13 minutes ago, captainmed said:

It wasn’t, who cares.

Someone’s hacked Med’s account 

Didn’t agree with the sub thought it was a bit to early to take sarc off . But the goal can only be the keepers fault then the game changes with 10 minutes to go . Maddison can’t get a break at the minute the shot that hits the post goes in he is the hero . Just hoping he can get one then it might all change for him at Bolton. 

I thought Sarcevic had his best game of the season , he was linking the midfield 2 of Lee and Williams with the attack very well. 

10 of the starting XI tonight are now when fit automatic first choices. The other being Delfonso who I could see Isgrove or Arthur coming in, not based on Delf perform tonight just the rest of the team look very balanced. 

The big difference now is that the midfield 2 can take the ball to feet and play so if teams try and chase down the full backs a ball into midfield gets us on the front foot.

We look a very good team for this level, long may it continue. 

Just now, Ani said:

I thought Sarcevic had his best game of the season , he was linking the midfield 2 of Lee and Williams with the attack very well. 

10 of the starting XI tonight are now when fit automatic first choices. The other being Delfonso who I could see Isgrove or Arthur coming in, not based on Delf perform tonight just the rest of the team look very balanced. 

The big difference now is that the midfield 2 can take the ball to feet and play so if teams try and chase down the full backs a ball into midfield gets us on the front foot.

We look a very good team for this level, long may it continue. 

Indeed. The fact that we finally have a settled XI and aren't chopping and changing all the time is helping us greatly.