Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Port Vale (A)

leigh white

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Dimron said:

Hard won game today, the boys will feel it tomorrow.

I believe the windy conditions helped us more than them, the pitch has obviouslybeen intentionall y narrowed so that it resembles a bowling alley and gives a run up for the throw ins; this also stunted our preferred wing-back system. From the off I thought PV were better at set plays which i would expect from this set up. But the kicker was the wind and they couldn't exploit their set-up and hence the scrappy game.

A final point... now we have a settled first eleven maybe we can accommodate a ressy goalkeeper (please)

can't see the point as they did not have anyone who could reach the 6 yard box area with a long throw

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Mr Grey said:

Carlisle spanked Bratfurd today 3-1 today, that Bratfurds season over, unless they will their last 13 and sneak in the play-offs and that ain't happening.

Carlisle, they think their pursuit of promotion is back on, 10 points behind us with 4 in hand, possible but you have to win all 4 and then win the rest, possibility of that happening...... slim.

Carlisle will be running on empty when we beat them in April. They are out of it

5 minutes ago, Alf Hartigan said:

can't see the point as they did not have anyone who could reach the 6 yard box area with a long throw

Errr... I saw few good long throw ins today from the Valiants 

From Wikki

Legge has been described as a "commanding centre-half".[75] Though lacking in pace, he has been praised for his strength, positioning and tackling skills.[76] He can also achieve great distances on his long-throws.[

Edited by Dimron

1 hour ago, Mr Grey said:

Carlisle spanked Bratfurd today 3-1 today, that Bratfurds season over, unless they will their last 13 and sneak in the play-offs and that ain't happening.

Carlisle, they think their pursuit of promotion is back on, 10 points behind us with 4 in hand, possible but you have to win all 4 and then win the rest, possibility of that happening...... slim.

Bradford only 3 points off Salford, but know what you mean, they appear to have peaked.  Confirms suspicions whilst watching the game against them that they aren't very good at all.  Makes it a bit more disappointing that we didn't win, a lot of "we'd have taken a point before the game" when in reality they're just another very mid table/average team.

Carlisle will probably be thinking if they can beat us the gap is only 7, with 4 games in hand, so very much game on.  Obviously we've got different ideas, for us its just another game we need to win to get top 3.

2 minutes ago, DomRepWanderer said:

I've only seen that Cheltenham mon that was a threat from long throws, all others have been pointless

I'm happy that the "long throw" is no longer a feature of watching BWFC.  It was bad enough when the throws were quite long but then it became a thing to make an attempt, that was nothing of the sort, easy pickings for the defenders.  Dire to watch with zero end product.  Great to be attempting football at every opportunity.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'm happy that the "long throw" is no longer a feature of watching BWFC.  It was bad enough when the throws were quite long but then it became a thing to make an attempt, that was nothing of the sort, easy pickings for the defenders.  Dire to watch with zero end product.  Great to be attempting football at every opportunity.

I've only recently found out that Arsene Wenger suggested getting rid of the throw in for a five aside 'kick in' version.

Not sure myself.

We aren't getting the ball into the old mixing pot enough for my liking, our corners are poor and we should have someone able to chuck it into the middle of the fracas. Not pretty but basic stuff with a chance of results at the end.

Legge had a good game for them today, if it wasn't for the wind he'd come out man of the match on a winning team,

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Dimron said:

We aren't getting the ball into the old mixing pot enough for my liking, our corners are poor and we should have someone able to chuck it into the middle of the fracas. Not pretty but basic stuff with a chance of results at the end.

Legge had a good game for them today, if it wasn't for the wind he'd come out man of the match on a winning team,

seriously?

We weren't great today, but that's stretching it. The wind was just as bad for us.

19 minutes ago, Dimron said:

He'll have to change his pre-match meal from beans to pasta.

14 minutes ago, Dimron said:

I thought the PV build up play was pretty good.

Something from the pre match build up... "respect everyone"

Switching off now 

They went 90 minutes without creating a real chance. The idea the weather stopped Legge being man of the match was I assume a joke ? 

21 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

Wind and pitch didn't help either side but they've regressed a long way since that game at ours. Yes we were abysmal defensively that day but they did look a decent side who could play a bit. Today they looked about the worst side we've played all season

Agreed.  They looked League One level in that 6-3 game, offensively at least.  Today they looked like national league.    

21 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Agreed.  They looked League One level in that 6-3 game, offensively at least.  Today they looked like national league.    

We were no better than PV today even though they were poor. Agree that the conditions didn’t help but we were far from our best. The points are all that counts and for automatic we need 11 cup finals of quality football which we are capable of

41 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

We were no better than PV today even though they were poor. Agree that the conditions didn’t help but we were far from our best. The points are all that counts and for automatic we need 11 cup finals of quality football which we are capable of

Not a lot to argue with there imo, but although quality football would be nice in the last 11 games, it's not essential (as we've seen today) we just need points.

• Members
8 hours ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Ive just watched the game and I disagree with that. First half they tried to upset our rhythm and we couldn’t get settled, but they couldn’t keep up the pressure all game , we kept the ball much better than them, and limited their chances. Won’t always be pretty but overall I thought we played good. They offered absolutely nothing.