Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Port Vale (A)

leigh white

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, DavidLeesMullet said:

Or to the tune of that classic song Coming Over The Hill by The Automatic...

"What's that coming up the table?

It's The Wanderers!!!"

I'm not actually sure of the point you're making by quoting me. 

14 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

I like the fact we have Easter with 2 close games and the week of Salford but  other than that, we have a week between games now. No excuse for carrying niggles and being tired

FGR play the Tuesday before we play them too.

9 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Ive just watched the game and I disagree with that. First half they tried to upset our rhythm and we couldn’t get settled, but they couldn’t keep up the pressure all game , we kept the ball much better than them, and limited their chances. Won’t always be pretty but overall I thought we played good. They offered absolutely nothing. 

Not sure why people find it necessary to 'downgrade' our performance every week. We were the better team without playing anywhere near our potential. As you say they tried to disrupt us but as they ran out of steam we got more and more on top. 62% possession although we did not create much tells the story. 
Another 11 on the run like that will do nicely. 

45 minutes ago, Ani said:

Not sure why people find it necessary to 'downgrade' our performance every week. We were the better team without playing anywhere near our potential. As you say they tried to disrupt us but as they ran out of steam we got more and more on top. 62% possession although we did not create much tells the story. 
Another 11 on the run like that will do nicely. 

Roll is Hugh Mungus Lite. Doesnt like Evatt you can tell and wanted Doyle dropped IIRC.

We were no better than Port Vale yesterday? Well thats your opinion, we certainly werent at our best but I must have missed Vale putting 25 passes together for their goal. 

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

We were no better than PV today even though they were poor. Agree that the conditions didn’t help but we were far from our best. The points are all that counts and for automatic we need 11 cup finals of quality football which we are capable of

This.

Yesterday was poor compared to Bradford last week. Horrible to watch. 

But we won. 

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Ratwhite said:

This.

Yesterday was poor compared to Bradford last week. Horrible to watch. 

But we won. 

The important bit and the only bit which will go on records and statistics.

• Site Supporter

Terrible pitch, swirling wind & a team that set out for a draw at home. It wasn't pretty but it was clinical & efficient. Even the massive don't play their best every week on snooker table pitches ffs! 

Job done, 3pts nearer to promotion, we move on.... Some people are never happy, I'd put money some of them were moaning when we were top 8 Prem regulars with our galacticos.. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Terrible pitch, swirling wind & a team that set out for a draw at home. It wasn't pretty but it was clinical & efficient. Even the massive don't play their best every week on snooker table pitches ffs! 

Job done, 3pts nearer to promotion, we move on.... Some people are never happy, I'd put money some of them were moaning when we were top 8 Prem regulars with our galacticos.. 

I remember leaving the Reebok and a bloke leaping from his seat shouting this is shit Allardyce fuck off, I think we were 5th in the prem made me smile then and still does.

The pitch and the conditions were the two major factors which stopped us playing the way we wanted. It was heavy, bumpy and narrow which stopped us moving the ball quickly and also finding the space. It claimed 3 players and apparently Vale have suffered numerous other muscle injuries this season which they put down to the pitch. We did enough to get through and not lose anyone else. Trying to run, turn sharply and find the positions we normally would on that was incredibly difficult, everyone commented our players looked leggy, but I think most teams would on that bog. The width of the pitch also allowed vale to really close us down, and we didn't get our passing range sorted for most of the game. Second half they switched wingers and found more joy, but also realised that far right corner was the best part of the pitch, so we concentrated our play more into that area and got the most joy. 

Vale set up to not concede, but they never really looked to try and push us, they may have had more joy against us if they did as we did struggle. But we were still very clearly the better team on the ball and when we did get it moving looked more threatening.  But again it is game management which we need if we want to over come our poor start. A few people would be screaming for Evatts head if we lost a few more players on that pitch, saying he can't read the conditions and risked the players trying to play something that wasn't possible. 

Do I want to watch games like that every week? No, will I? No. But some people really can't seem to realise that it won't always be possible,  and just love to find fault to criticise the manager and/or certain players when the conditions play a huge part in ruining the game.

The fact we have teams narrowing their pitches is also a huge compliment and shows we have the upper hand from the start and teams are fearing playing us.

4 minutes ago, Black Sheep said:

I may be wrong but I'm sure that teams can't change the dimensions of their pitch once the season has started, therefore if PV have a narrow pitch then its been narrow all season.

Yes, I thought that as well.🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Black Sheep said:

I may be wrong but I'm sure that teams can't change the dimensions of their pitch once the season has started, therefore if PV have a narrow pitch then its been narrow all season.

Looks like you are right, I thought teams could as long as within the parameters.  Seem to recall us doing that, maybe you can between different competitions, Europe and league?

PVs pitch looked to have been narrowed recently though, as thought you could see where the corner flag had been. 

• Members
Just now, Cartman2932 said:

Looks like you are right, I thought teams could as long as within the parameters.  Seem to recall us doing that, maybe you can between different competitions, Europe and league?

PVs pitch looked to have been narrowed recently though, as thought you could see where the corner flag had been. 

Yeah not in the league, European games you can

It’s already been said but yesterday was a perfect example of just get the win and move on. Plenty of reasons why we didn’t / couldn’t play the type of football we have recently but we managed the game, made sure we were never in danger at the back which meant that we’d only need 1 goal to take all the points. I also thought we played out the last 10 minutes or so as well as we have this season, we spent so much time in their half and really reduced the chances they had to get the ball forward.

In terms of the defence, we’ve conceded 5 goals in the last 11 games, 1 of which was Gilks throwing it into his net, with 7 clean sheets. If that carries on at somewhere near the same rate then we’ll go up automatically, no doubt about it, especially considering that we’ve scored in 14 consecutive games. It really is the key to our recent form, of course the way we’re playing and some of the goals we’re scoring get the headlines but knowing that in the vast majority of games, and in games like yesterday which are just a slog, you will only likely need to score 1 goal to win the game is massive.

3 minutes ago, Cartman2932 said:

Must have been from their European matches.

It did look very narrow though, but in Gethin Jones interview he mention "the big pitch".

3 hours ago, Max Cherry said:

Roll is Hugh Mungus Lite. Doesnt like Evatt you can tell and wanted Doyle dropped IIRC.

We were no better than Port Vale yesterday? Well thats your opinion, we certainly werent at our best but I must have missed Vale putting 25 passes together for their goal. 

3 hours ago, Max Cherry said:

Anybody who watched that yesterday that has been watching all our games would agree we didn’t play well and for a large part of the game PV matched us. To say I don’t like Evatt is nonsense; I wasn’t at all happy with the time he took to drop Crellin or to change tactics and yes if he had continued to be stubborn than I was with the fans wanting him out BUT he has turned it round and I am right behind him. Doyle hadn’t been playing well but I was the first on her to say he had a brilliant game against Cambridge.

I don’t wear rose tinted spectacles but maybe I can criticise too soon but that’s  because I am passionate about BWFC. Hugh  however who you mention is a Bolton hater.

now get your rose tinted off

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Black Sheep said:

Vale's pitch is actually one of the widest and longest in League 2. Leyton Orient is the only one that's bigger, with Salford coming a close 3rd.

https://www.football-stadiums.co.uk/leagues/league-two/

Edited by Cheese

1 hour ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Anybody who watched that yesterday that has been watching all our games would agree we didn’t play well and for a large part of the game PV matched us. To say I don’t like Evatt is nonsense; I wasn’t at all happy with the time he took to drop Crellin or to change tactics and yes if he had continued to be stubborn than I was with the fans wanting him out BUT he has turned it round and I am right behind him. Doyle hadn’t been playing well but I was the first on her to say he had a brilliant game against Cambridge.

I don’t wear rose tinted spectacles but maybe I can criticise too soon but that’s  because I am passionate about BWFC. Hugh  however who you mention is a Bolton hater.

now get your rose tinted off

Tbf you did say 'we were no better' which has been changed to 'for a long period they matched us' , which is slightly but significantly different.

Of course you can criticise, I certainly do, but equally people can challenge such comments, no need to question if you a fan however and to lump anyone with Hughmungus is unfair. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Must have been from their European matches.

It did look very narrow though, but in Gethin Jones interview he mention "the big pitch".

😂 might explain why they have been struggling,  competing on two fronts.

Maybe it was an optical illusion with there being so much grass on the far side

23 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Vale's pitch is actually one of the widest and longest in League 2. Leyton Orient is the only one that's bigger, with Salford coming a close 3rd.

https://www.football-stadiums.co.uk/leagues/league-two/

Very surprising that and blows part of my argument out of the water. It was very heavy and uneven though!