Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Meanwhile In America

Zico

13 minutes ago, Big E said:

Does anyone else think there seems to be more people wanting change now in the US or is it just being spread more ? 

The sort of people I follow on social media seem to.

However if I was redneck gun shagger, then the sort of folk I'd be likely to follow wouldn't.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, royal white said:

No matter how easy or how hard it is to get guns surely the question need to be asked why? Why all these mass shootings at schools? Many countries have easily accessible weapons yet you don’t hear about schools getting shot up on a regular basis. 

A very good question. 

Does seem endemic withing the psyche over there.

Too many computer games, toxic social media, access to weapons who knows. Weird.

• Moderators

I don't think there's anywhere in the world where state of the art guns and a fucktonne of ammo can be bought by anyone. I had a look and the only place I could find was Yemen. If this happened there, it probs wouldn't even make the news. Plus doubt they have gunshops where you can acquire on the never never.

• Site Supporter
29 minutes ago, Carlos said:

I don't think there's anywhere in the world where state of the art guns and a fucktonne of ammo can be bought by anyone. I had a look and the only place I could find was Yemen. If this happened there, it probs wouldn't even make the news. Plus doubt they have gunshops where you can acquire on the never never.

You had a look at where to buy guns?

Be careful - you'll have blokes in hoodies conducting surveillance on you.

4 hours ago, royal white said:

No matter how easy or how hard it is to get guns surely the question need to be asked why? Why all these mass shootings at schools? Many countries have easily accessible weapons yet you don’t hear about schools getting shot up on a regular basis. 

I get your point but surely if you have a problem that has multiple complex causes that is leading to thousands of people getting killed the first thing to start with is the stuff you can easily identify. 

So stopping selling assault rifles to unvetted 18 year olds.  You know more about guns that most on here. With all your training do you think you should be allowed to wander round the Trafford Centre with a loaded gun ? 

44 minutes ago, Ani said:

I get your point but surely if you have a problem that has multiple complex causes that is leading to thousands of people getting killed the first thing to start with is the stuff you can easily identify. 

So stopping selling assault rifles to unvetted 18 year olds.  You know more about guns that most on here. With all your training do you think you should be allowed to wander round the Trafford Centre with a loaded gun ? 

Definitely not. You would think tighter gun laws would show a reduced rate of shootings, I think most would agree with that. I’m just trying to work out what makes people want to go and shoot up schools. If we had the same gun laws as America from tomorrow would we expect to see regular shootings at schools or is it predominantly a yank thing 🤷🏻

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, royal white said:

Definitely not. You would think tighter gun laws would show a reduced rate of shootings, I think most would agree with that. I’m just trying to work out what makes people want to go and shoot up schools. If we had the same gun laws as America from tomorrow would we expect to see regular shootings at schools or is it predominantly a yank thing 🤷🏻

Fuck knows.

Something in their water, crazy religious families, massive gun lobbies, bad schools, rednecks, drink and drug issues, poverty, weird macho culture, lack of local government funding, bullying, etc

The list is endless and take your pick of one or two or all - many states in the US are pretty shite in all those areas, especially the southern states.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

A very good question. 

Does seem endemic withing the psyche over there.

Too many computer games, toxic social media, access to weapons who knows. Weird.

Only one of those things separates the U.S from the rest of the civilised world...

1 hour ago, royal white said:

I know it sounds weird but it is almost as though it has become a 'thing' over there. A one time the was a spate of kids setting fire to their old schools round here, it seems to almost be default behaviour from disillusioned young folk to do this. How they got there and how they get out of it will be a long haul. But any little change can help. But things are so entrenched over there not sure how you go about change. 

I really hate the world at the minute.

If I didnt have kids Id be off out of here.

What a shit horrible place. Every single day theres reports of kids getting murdered, wars, bent politicians, cunts killing animals for sport, chopping down rainforests and killing entire eco systems we all need to survive, energy companies being allowed to plunder our whole society into meltdown for their own gain, the list is endless.

Thats not to mention the general population of utter dickheads that cant seem to get through life without being an utter dickhead. 

Everyone just gets old, ill and dies.

Im moving to Orkney to live in tent.

• Site Supporter
22 minutes ago, Zico said:

B- 

Could do better 

UmiMn3b.jpeg

If you think of America as 50+ separate countries, then in reality most of them have no issue at all.

Texas is the wild fucking west and that’s how they like it, but we all knew that. They still wear cowboy hats ffs.

Bar 3 of those, they all happened in really hot, bible-bashing states.

So them prayers ain’t workin’

11 hours ago, royal white said:

I think Columbine was the first big school shooting.  Prior to that it had usually been work places with embittered employees 'going postal'.  Perhaps schools are seen as softer targets, the horror is greater than shooting up a grocery store and more notoriety for the killer? 

It's hard to compare anywhere else to the US just because of the millions of guns freely available and an economy that makes them easy to purchase. 

It still amazes me that they don't seem to understand that the fact that you can go out, at 18 years old, and buy a semi-automatic rifle is a problem...

I sort of get that you might want a gun for self defence or for hunting, but let's be honest, what are you hunting with an Anzio 20mm rifle, which has a range of about 3 miles and can easily take down light aircraft

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Sweep said:

It still amazes me that they don't seem to understand that the fact that you can go out, at 18 years old, and buy a semi-automatic rifle is a problem...

I sort of get that you might want a gun for self defence or for hunting, but let's be honest, what are you hunting with an Anzio 20mm rifle, which has a range of about 3 miles and can easily take down light aircraft

Light aircraft hunting does sound rather fun

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, royal white said:

It’s a sad state of affairs when the best possible option will be to have multiple armed guards on every school

And strange that, by and large, small schools are probably one of the few ‘public’ places which don’t get armed security guards. 

Apparently, the recent shooter used social media to warn what he was going to do. It’s a shame these social media search algorithms don’t search for real threats and act immediately.

• Moderators

We are fucking miles away from being able to recognise a genuine warning of this nature via an algorithm. No one would want to attempt it as if it didn't work 100% then you get the blame. No software works 100%. Or you flag loads of false positives and no one responds to them.

17 minutes ago, MickyD said:

And strange that, by and large, small schools are probably one of the few ‘public’ places which don’t get armed security guards. 

Apparently, the recent shooter used social media to warn what he was going to do. It’s a shame these social media search algorithms don’t search for real threats and act immediately.

They do flag - how to act is another question entirely.

The issue with this is that social media is just moving out of it's wild west phase, its still unregulated and there isn't a place to join the dots.

SM is a libertarian social experiment - unregulated free speech, small state and individualism. Under that banner, who has the right to make a call until a crime is committed? The difference between a troll and a criminal? 

We're only at the begining of untangling that, the algorithms are in place, its the human element where it comes unstuck.

2 minutes ago, Carlos said:

We are fucking miles away from being able to recognise a genuine warning of this nature via an algorithm. No one would want to attempt it as if it didn't work 100% then you get the blame. No software works 100%. Or you flag loads of false positives and no one responds to them.

Not quite true, you can put the stipluations in and the flags - they already exist. The technology isn't the problem here, its how you use it and are we happy with what comes with making those choices and giving such power to private companies.

Personally I agree with more regulation, but the rest makes me very uncomfortable.