Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

FGR Away

RUREADY2ROLL

8 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

I think some posters on here have had their post taken out of context, they are generally just saying we don't score enough goals or create enough chances in the final 3rd, in reality its probably correct considering the possession football we play, they were being slightly critical, not having go... imo.

The only thing they probably failed to mention was our defence, which has been fucking exceptional over the last 15 games or so, and as the saying goes, a solid defence is the basis of all good successful teams.

The fact is that the run we are on proves we are scoring enough goals, people are just assuming one won't be enough. Bradford is the only game we have dropped points, but it took them throwing their keeper up top and an incredible strike. 

Yesterday they demonstrated excellent game management and that is needed with where we are and with what we still have left to do, we can't play at incredible tempo for 90 minutes twice a week, not sure any team really can even in the prem. When we get a goal we rarely look like conceding, certainly yesterday,  so slow the tempo, save the players, keep the run going.

Would I like to see us score 2,3,4 goals? Absolutely, but winning is all that really matters. The criticism is unfounded and supported by the results. 1 goal will always be enough if you don't concede. And making significant changes to a system which has proved so successful is bonkers.

My main criticism for this team is our throw ins and corners, which are just plain shit.

29 minutes ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

The fact is that the run we are on proves we are scoring enough goals, people are just assuming one won't be enough. Bradford is the only game we have dropped points, but it took them throwing their keeper up top and an incredible strike. 

Yesterday they demonstrated excellent game management and that is needed with where we are and with what we still have left to do, we can't play at incredible tempo for 90 minutes twice a week, not sure any team really can even in the prem. When we get a goal we rarely look like conceding, certainly yesterday,  so slow the tempo, save the players, keep the run going.

Would I like to see us score 2,3,4 goals? Absolutely, but winning is all that really matters. The criticism is unfounded and supported by the results. 1 goal will always be enough if you don't concede. And making significant changes to a system which has proved so successful is bonkers.

My main criticism for this team is our throw ins and corners, which are just plain shit.

The other drawn game in our run we conceded an 83rd minute equaliser. So not that far from a 13 game winning streak

• Members
9 hours ago, Cheese said:

You know the Go-Karting place in town, yeah? Well I went down there the first day it opened right, and I did a couple of laps. I pulled over, and the bloke that runs the thing comes over and said - "Oi! No professionals." I took my helmet off, I said "I'm not a professional". He said - "you're not a professional?", I said "No", he said "well you should be. If I was you I'd take up Formula One, and if you drive like that you'd probably be the best in the country." I said - "I'm not interested, I'm making shit loads out of computers."

You know Bruce Lee isn’t really dead?

If we’re winning games 1-0 we’re scoring enough. You still get 3 points for scoring one as you do 4 or 5. 

get the point though but Overall I think people are beginning to get a little greedy. We need out of this league. Whether that be as champions, 3rd or play offs. I don’t really care how

offer everyone the position we’re in at the beginning of the season let alone 2 months ago and we’d of all taken it. 

give me another 6 or 7 1-0 wins between now and the end. I don’t care if that puts us top, 2nd or 3rd 

I don't think goal difference is going to swing in our favour. If Cheltenham draw 1 that we win, we're level on points. For it to come to gd we have to get exactly same number of points, so they will only improve their gd and we're 9 behind them. Maybe we can edge Tranmere and fgr, but we can just get more points than them too. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

City are basically the template for how IE wants us to play & they certainly don't play at full throttle for 90 minutes but keeping the ball tires the opposition which I think is another reason we don't get bombarded when defending a one goal lead late on. 

30 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

City are basically the template for how IE wants us to play & they certainly don't play at full throttle for 90 minutes but keeping the ball tires the opposition which I think is another reason we don't get bombarded when defending a one goal lead late on. 

No one is saying flat out for 90 mins but herein lies the difference, City generally create a lot of opportunities, and we just don't. Most games the opposition keeper has very little to do.

Fair play to IE because he has mitigated this to a degree by making us harder to beat. And more often than not one goal has been enough in this latest run. But 8 out of the 11 wins have been by a single goal, so I see this as a clear risk, as does IE I suspect. A few dodgy refereeing decisions, an injury here or there and we may start going back the way.

But let's be honest, on the run we are on, we should have given someone a slapping by now, and some games we have been pretty fortunate to come away with a win. However, it is the 4th division so we should have enough continuing as we are and winning masks a lot.

Someone mentioned one nil to the Arsenal, and here is the contradiction for me, we talk like City and possession based football yet play like Arsenal. The rhetoric and what I watch each week are rarely in synch.

Some people take this as a criticism and get very sensitive, when all it really is is a fans opinion on how we may improve to achieve success. We all want the same thing but alternate thoughts on here get shouted down, it's becoming very woke.

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

However, it is the 4th division

It’s a decent post and I think the utopia would be 3/4 goal wins. But as you say it’s the 4th division, we are on a run-in where wins not goals need to continue to be the priority. Our in-game management to sustain this run has been fantastic. I get you are only pointing out what the fans, and as IE has referred to himself, the management and players would ideally like but the realism is 1-0 wins should be applauded.

As fans we want everything. We want our players to do more. A bit like how you weren’t happy with Doyle a couple of months ago. Interestingly what’s your view of him now?

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

No one is saying flat out for 90 mins but herein lies the difference, City generally create a lot of opportunities, and we just don't. Most games the opposition keeper has very little to do.

Fair play to IE because he has mitigated this to a degree by making us harder to beat. And more often than not one goal has been enough in this latest run. But 8 out of the 11 wins have been by a single goal, so I see this as a clear risk, as does IE I suspect. A few dodgy refereeing decisions, an injury here or there and we may start going back the way.

But let's be honest, on the run we are on, we should have given someone a slapping by now, and some games we have been pretty fortunate to come away with a win. However, it is the 4th division so we should have enough continuing as we are and winning masks a lot.

Someone mentioned one nil to the Arsenal, and here is the contradiction for me, we talk like City and possession based football yet play like Arsenal. The rhetoric and what I watch each week are rarely in synch.

Some people take this as a criticism and get very sensitive, when all it really is is a fans opinion on how we may improve to achieve success. We all want the same thing but alternate thoughts on here get shouted down, it's becoming very woke.

We don't improve until the next transfer window. We don't change a winning team/system. We go with what's working for now. We have a good goalscorer for this level. Yes he may be limited but he has a great attitude & workrate. Delfouneso may frustrate but he is capable of producing a bit of quality. 

We are what we are & it's working. When our target of promotion is achieved then IE will look to bring in players for our next challenge.... for now it's about keeping a settled side & keeping the players fit & relaxed. 

47 minutes ago, desperado said:

As fans we want everything. We want our players to do more. A bit like how you weren’t happy with Doyle a couple of months ago. Interestingly what’s your view of him now?

In the same vein really, collectively I wish we created more chances and he is a key component to that, but as I said before I have never questioned his finishing (other than his heading!!)

In a better team he can be anonymous so long as he takes his chances. I do think he could have been rotated like everyone else, he looked gone, but then he had a cracking all-round game against Cambridge, but IE knows better than me so happy to go with his decision.

He is a decent player at this level clearly, I am just not convinced he is the right type of striker to contribute fully to the way we wish to play  But neither is there anyone better in the squad, or would be available in the 4th division??

And if we go up it matters not a jot.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

In the same vein really, collectively I wish we created more chances and he is a key component to that, but as I said before I have never questioned his finishing (other than his heading!!)

In a better team he can be anonymous so long as he takes his chances. I do think he could have been rotated like everyone else, he looked gone, but then he had a cracking all-round game against Cambridge, but IE knows better than me so happy to go with his decision.

He is a decent player at this level clearly, I am just not convinced he is the right type of striker to contribute fully to the way we wish to play  But neither is there anyone better in the squad, or would be available in the 4th division??

And if we go up it matters not a jot.

Fair enough. I’m confident he’ll get 20 before the seasons out, which will be a fine return and will have played a massive part in our promotion. 

P4P Doyle is the best striker you can have at this level. 

he’s not in the game unless it’s in the opposition box. Just the type of striker he is. Yet still got 16 goals even though half the season we’ve been awful and he hardly gets a kick

the type of player he is isn’t going to change. So, it’s up to the supporting players to create more than 1 chance a game for him by making better decisions or a bit more magic  and/or IE working on tweaks on our overall play 

Goals aren’t being shared around at the min so it’s a mix of both for me

Edited by barrycowdrill

13 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

It has to be that way with the players that start, I feel like we're missing a trick not using Arthur as more of a battering ram.  Its not as if he's limited to just being a Madine type, he's got more skill and pace than that, I'd be more than happy with him up front for Doyle to play off, as with the late goals v Barrow, Cheltenham and Southend without which we'd be 7th.  Put another way, if I was the opposition I wouldn't be happy if I was faced with those 2.

But as an opposition manager you would be happy with our current starting XI ?

1 hour ago, JimmyRiddle said:

That's one of the best posts I've read on here 👏.

Think we're being a bit harsh on our attack. I think we need to work out the number 10 position with Sarce out, but we're doing well still. 

From a betting preview yesterday;

I like to look at the last 12 games to see how a team in performing and Bolton are flying. They have taken 32 points from a possible 36, I have them top of the expected points table, the highest expected goal ratio and shots in the box ratio over these 12 games. No side has scored more goals and only Tranmere have a better expected goals scored tally, whilst only Morecambe have had more shots in the box.

• Site Supporter

We create a good number of situations which could easily lead to good chances with better decision making. 
Take yesterday, we had Thomasons shot, the effort John blazed wide before the break, Dapo cut in and had a shot blocked in the 1st half, the possible penalty incident. All could easily have led to goals with better decisions.

Im happy with what we are seeing

Some of the comments on here baffle me for several seasons I have hated football sick of seeing us lose going a goal down and then expecting us to lose. 

Leaving home games early because we are losing and knowing we are not getting back in the game.

Even early in the season it was shit I for 1 slated IE but he as proven me wrong I see group of players who give a shit and never give up a manager who also gives a shit directors who give a shit.

Enjoy as I am  doing being a wanderer its brilliant not felt like this for years so I dont care if we only win 1-0 it's a win you get nothing for losing 5-3 ! 

On another note  son bought me a book it's called Remember when and it's full of of newspaper reports of our matches from the 1920s to 2020 if you haven't got 1 get 1 its brilliant looking at the past great birthday or xmas present comes in a presentation box .

Guest Nordkurve
2 minutes ago, Rizlar said:

Some of the comments on here baffle me for several seasons I have hated football sick of seeing us lose going a goal down and then expecting us to lose. 

Leaving home games early because we are losing and knowing we are not getting back in the game.

Even early in the season it was shit I for 1 slated IE but he as proven me wrong I see group of players who give a shit and never give up a manager who also gives a shit directors who give a shit.

Enjoy as I am  doing being a wanderer its brilliant not felt like this for years so I dont care if we only win 1-0 it's a win you get nothing for losing 5-3 ! 

On another note  son bought me a book it's called Remember when and it's full of of newspaper reports of our matches from the 1920s to 2020 if you haven't got 1 get 1 its brilliant looking at the past great birthday or xmas present comes in a presentation box .

can you post the ISBN of that book or check the title please ? Can't find it anywhere.