Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

RIP Frank Worthington

DazBob

Again, never got to see him play for Bolton, but did get the chance to interview for the Here We Go Again! fanzine - at the Pack Horse. He turned up in his training kit and boots - not sure if he was still doing a bit for Stockport at the time. Nice bloke.

I’ve mentioned I’ve met Frank on here previously. My missus and I were weaving through the furniture dept in Selfridges in the Trafford centre and a couple were doing the same  coming in the opposite direction. It was Frank and his wife, but I didn’t notice until we were up close. Frank stopped to let my wife through
Gobsmacked I blurted out, “it’s Frank Worthington, isn’t it”,  “it is” said Frank.

At this point I was tongue tied and a blubbering wreck at meeting my hero unexpectedly so I just said “Frank can I shake your hand” “course you can” he said. 
So we shook hands and he strolled off. I walked off in a dream state and was kicking myself afterwards for not telling him how much enjoyment I got watching him play.

Never will forget the Friday night when we beat United 3-0. In the Stags Head Daubhill after the game the pub was rocking with YMCA from the juck box to words:

Frankie do do do do do do do do

Frankie do do do do do do do do

Frank.     Worth ing ton’s magic.

RIP you legend

In the 3-0 against the rags he scored 2 penalties. Gary Bailey was in the nets & Frankie pointed to where he was going to place the kick. He did kick it there & Bailey went the wrong way.

The second penalty came. Frankie placed the ball on the spot, stood & pointed where he was going to put it. He actually walked toward the goal, pointing. That's where he placed it. Bailey, again, went the wrong way. Frankie did a "well, I DID tell you" mime.

Class.

Someone has already mentioned that his pre-match warm-ups were worth the admission fees alone.  Went to loads of aways in 79-80 and it was always worthwhile getting in the ground early.  I remember, in particular, Norwich and Stoke (Victoria Ground) where Frank basically ignored the routines the rest of the team were going through and performed lots of ‘Okocha-style’  ball juggling in front of the main stand.

Both sets of supporters would applaud him.

Ian Greaves said that he couldn’t coach him.  He just let him get on with it.

• Site Supporter

Without doubt the most talented Englishman to don the white shirt. Golden Boot winner in a team fighting relegation says a lot but his goals were just a small part of what makes him so special to those of us lucky enough to watched him play. 

To have only made 84 appearances & to be such a legend is proof of his talent & charisma. 

RIP Frank, thanks for the memories. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

In the 3-0 against the rags he scored 2 penalties. Gary Bailey was in the nets & Frankie pointed to where he was going to place the kick. He did kick it there & Bailey went the wrong way.

The second penalty came. Frankie placed the ball on the spot, stood & pointed where he was going to put it. He actually walked toward the goal, pointing. That's where he placed it. Bailey, again, went the wrong way. Frankie did a "well, I DID tell you" mime.

Class.

Dont remember either of his goals being penalties

• Members
19 minutes ago, Benny The Ball said:

Here is the best obituary you will read about Frank written by the best Football Journalist in the business ( in my opinion )

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b351a1f0-8bcc-11eb-8f69-0367b6f4fca7?shareToken=0ebabbbe700952ae8aeb41180546b947

Belter that Benny

“A maverick with adventure in his soul and magic in his boot”

Take a bow Mr Winter

Edited by Rudy