Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

RIP Frank Worthington

DazBob

9 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

You're right. I need to rethink.

Just remembered his heading one cross over Gordon McQueen, turning and volleying in .... a bit along the lines of the Ipswich goal.

I need a lie down.

Why wasnt Sky around then??

4 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

I'm actually teary eyed. The first BIG "you cannot be serious" signing I recall.

A player who made it OK to be a Bolton fan again.

Graceland's awaits you Frankie. Go & be disgraceful there.

RIP Frank Stewart Worthington.

True that.  Although I wasn't around to know, I'm struggling to think of a "big" signing before Frankie in 77-78.  Can't think of any other properly eye catching signings before the Big Sam days, he truly was the only one in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 1st half of 90s at least (happy to be corrected).

As sad as it is today, I'm glad he wont be suffering any more given his health issues, glad him and his family don't have to suffer any more.

Thanks for the memories and putting BWFC on the map for a couple of years, we probably have fans to this day that we wouldn't have had if Worthy hadn't attracted them.

• Site Supporter

Goals like the Ipswich one just weren’t scored in those days which is why it stood out. Nobody had the confidence  in their own skill or imagination to do that. Except Frank. 
met him in Teppanyaki in Manchester one evening in @ 92 and had a chat. I’m sure I just blurted out the same as everyone else ever did when meeting him. 
RIP Frank. 
And Thanks! 

Edited by White on Tyne
Spilling mistake

4 hours ago, burnden said:

Hope we hear his name ringing around the ground when we can get back in.....RIP Frankie , football genius and a true Maverick.

That's brought it home to me that we've missed the chance to do a proper tribute at a home game, realistically.  Very sad.

As someone else said we only had 3 true legends and we've lost 2 of them, Frankie won't get a fitting send off, either in the ground or at his funeral.

4 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

You're right. I need to rethink.

Just remembered his heading one cross over Gordon McQueen, turning and volleying in .... a bit along the lines of the Ipswich goal.

I need a lie down.

I seem to remember someone missing a pen at OT when we beat them 1-2 - Gordon McQueen?? Maybe Frank told him where to place it 😄

4 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

True that.  Although I wasn't around to know, I'm struggling to think of a "big" signing before Frankie in 77-78.  Can't think of any other properly eye catching signings before the Big Sam days, he truly was the only one in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 1st half of 90s at least (happy to be corrected).

As sad as it is today, I'm glad he wont be suffering any more given his health issues, glad him and his family don't have to suffer any more.

Thanks for the memories and putting BWFC on the map for a couple of years, we probably have fans to this day that we wouldn't have had if Worthy hadn't attracted them.

Seriously? I thought Peter Thompson and Roger Hunt were mega signings for us back in the day. Ok both were in the twighlight of their careers, but it was a privilege to see such talented players in a Wanderers shirt.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'm assuming Roger Hunt and Peter Thompson were both considered a bit of a coup at that time, no?

I remember the goal he scored at Maine Road in a 2-1 defeat.  Casually steering a cross into the top corner beyond Corrigan. The report afterwards said it was no surprise he was leading the scoring charts with a finish like that.  He only scored 1 more goal for us after that Ipswich one.

Football focus interviewed him sometime in the late 80s and he wore each clubs shirt as he spoke about his time at each.  He said Bolton was his happiest time in football. It made me right proud did that.

What a legend. 

5 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I seem to remember someone missing a pen at OT when we beat them 1-2 - Gordon McQueen?? Maybe Frank told him where to place it 😄

Seriously? I thought Peter Thompson and Roger Hunt were mega signings for us back in the day. Ok both were in the twighlight of their careers, but i was a privilege to see such talented players in a Wanderers shirt.

Thompson had defenders falling over before he moved the ball. Never forget Sir Roger Hunts debut at Preston with Bolton taking their cop plus filling the other goal.

although big signings they didn’t have a big influence on any progress. Not legends like Nat, Frankie and Super John

Met Frank just once when I was involved with BWSA back in the nineties arranging for him to attend  as guest speaker at a sportsman dinner at the exec suite at Burnden ,  probably 95/96 i'sh can't remember exactly. I had the job of organizing his attendance via his Mrs who was also his manager, on agreeing his fee, in typical Frank style it had to be cash in a brown envelope to avoid the tax man !

£600 if I remember rightly.

Frank was terrific on the night dressed in a green velvet suit reminiscing his time with us.

God bless Frank, a true legend.

No coincidence that his time with us happened as we got back in the big time where his talent deserved to be. Memories of trying to replicate the goal against Ipswich in the following weeks and months whilst at school or with my mates, wasn’t lucky enough to be at Blackburn and old Trafford. But listening to them on the radio was special enough can only imagine what it was like being there. What fantastic memories of a true LEGEND, thanks for the memories frank. RIP.

4 hours ago, Rudy said:

Belter that Benny

“A maverick with adventure in his soul and magic in his boot”

Take a bow Mr Winter

Perfect

A privilege to watch him play

We’ll not see his like again

• Site Supporter

Think I've told this story on here before but never mind, it's about Frank being the speaker at a dinner at Breightmet Utd, it was on a Friday night and I was committed to going but sadly it coincided with that famous game at Hull, loads of lads were listening to our game on radio's and every time Frank got up to speak the place erupted in the Oh Frankie Frankie chant , it was pandemonium he eventually sacked the speech of and went on the piss with us all, a very very late night as I remember.