Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

RIP Frank Worthington

DazBob

5 minutes ago, Alf Hartigan said:

That's just given me a wow moment. Started watching BWFC as a 10 year old in Frank's first season with us and loved the Franky Worthington chant but never realised it was from an actual song. Then started my first job as a glass collector in 1985 at The Pack Horse. Discovered that very same record on the Jukebox there and used to put it on repeatedly despite it being a bit shit. Must have been something subliminal because I have never connected it to the Worthington chant until you posted that.

The song came out in 72, I made a distasteful chant at Blackpool in 76 on the Kop using the tune, but later it turned into a terrace fave.

R.I.P to a true club Legend . Sadly he was a few years before my time but what an impact he made in such a relatively short spell for us , Criminal really that he wasn't given a chance for England during the Golden Boot season. If only someone could dig out the Q.P.R goal from somewhere. 

Thanks Frankie and sleep tight Wanderers Legend.

Edited by dusan nikolic

4 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

I'm assuming Roger Hunt and Peter Thompson were both considered a bit of a coup at that time, no?

I remember the goal he scored at Maine Road in a 2-1 defeat.  Casually steering a cross into the top corner beyond Corrigan. The report afterwards said it was no surprise he was leading the scoring charts with a finish like that.  He only scored 1 more goal for us after that Ipswich one.

Football focus interviewed him sometime in the late 80s and he wore each clubs shirt as he spoke about his time at each.  He said Bolton was his happiest time in football. It made me right proud did that.

What a legend. 

It's a great finish mate.

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, leigh white said:

The song came out in 72, I made a distasteful chant at Blackpool in 76 on the Kop using the tune, but later it turned into a terrace fave.

The only English team?

• Members

Can't let this one go. Gave me the best three footballing moments of my life. Not in any particular order - that goal; Ewood Park; the double over the DMB's (this should probably be my number one as no other football moment has excited me to a point where I blacked out - the moment he knocked his second in at OT).

RIP Frankie - loved, respected and never forgotten. If there are 70 virgins somewhere I hope you get 'em.

If there was such a thing as a time machine the one match I would return to was that Friday night before Christmas 1978, I was eighteen and the shit received from Bolton rags since primary school was laid to rest in one single 90 minutes. I can't remember the match in great detail but do remember we dominated and Worthington was brilliant. God bless you Frank!

8 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

What were the reasons for him leaving so soon after winning the Golden Boot?

He went to play in the States and was late coming back, didn't go down well with the Manager Ian Greaves. Was the main reason I think, there was also behind the scenes rumours of financial problems at the club and money was needed.

22 minutes ago, nantwichwhite said:

He went to play in the States and was late coming back, didn't go down well with the Manager Ian Greaves. Was the main reason I think, there was also behind the scenes rumours of financial problems at the club and money was needed.

Cheers 👍

3 hours ago, nantwichwhite said:

If there was such a thing as a time machine the one match I would return to was that Friday night before Christmas 1978, I was eighteen and the shit received from Bolton rags since primary school was laid to rest in one single 90 minutes. I can't remember the match in great detail but do remember we dominated and Worthington was brilliant. God bless you Frank!

I remember nothing from that match, think I was so up tight that my mind just blanked it out, very strange as I remember going to my mates house and his dad taking us but nothing whatsoever after that. It’s really annoying. Think I need to see a hyponotist to bring my memory back. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

39 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I remember nothing from that match, think I was so up tight that my mind just blanked it out ...

It was bloody freezing. I remember that.

Also that, as we walked down the Manny Rd. and passed a bunch of about 10 loud Manc. scallies one put a haymaker into my friends face. For absolutely no reason, just as we were passing. We were about half a dozen, generally civilised, peaceable guys & apart from being just plain stunned, were outnumbered by a group clearly far more used to scrapping. They just jeered & carried on walking. His nose was broken and burst, blood everywhere.

Hopefully my 'hard stare' and 'looķ of doom' got them & they all died horribly inside the next 12 months. Few survive by 'look of doom'. Fact.

2 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

It was bloody freezing. I remember that.

Also that, as we walked down the Manny Rd. and passed a bunch of about 10 loud Manc. scallies one put a haymaker into my friends face. For absolutely no reason, just as we were passing. We were about half a dozen, generally civilised, peaceable guys & apart from being just plain stunned, were outnumbered by a group clearly far more used to scrapping. They just jeered & carried on walking. His nose was broken and burst, blood everywhere.

Hopefully my 'hard stare' and 'looķ of doom' got them & they all died horribly inside the next 12 months. Few survive by 'look of doom'. Fact.

Utter scum bags. At least we got the win. I’ve just remembered one thing that many of the Man U fans went home at HT the embankment emptied well before the 90 minutes was up, but still can’t remember the bloody game. 

I was at all three, the DMB match, Blackburn and that goal and was in awe of Frank. I had the white shirt with Umbro trim which was worn all the time and then stored in my mums loft until she moved and threw it all out.

I also wagged an afternoon off school to go to the opening of his clothes shop in town.

Thanks for the memories Frank.  RIP.