Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

World Cup Qualifiers

deane koontz

• Members
1 hour ago, Zico said:

Wonder if the nations league helps the shit teams more competitive, by giving them games against other shit teams, with something to play for

They should be thrown in a WC qualifier together 

8 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Isn't there a tournament for non-FIFA 'nations'; Greenland, Palestine etc.

I know there's an Islands Cup...

There's still drubbings at these levels.

There is an organisation for unnoficial non-FIFA sanctioned countries, principalities, ethnic groups etc who hold their own friendlies, tournaments and even World Cups (Think they're called CONIFA)

Edited by DavidLeesMullet

• Site Supporter
14 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Anyway, decent win having cocked up for the equaliser. Could have been better, but were getting used to winning narrowly with patient football

Like watching another team we know 😂

8 hours ago, desperado said:

Like watching another team we know 😂

Ha, I thought that too Desperado, when really needing a goal they were still passing it around sideways and back but like ourselves they got some joy out of it with a good move. Unlike us, they scored from the resulting corner!!

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Ha, I thought that too Desperado, when really needing a goal they were still passing it around sideways and back but like ourselves they got some joy out of it with a good move. Unlike us, they scored from the resulting corner!!

I back Southgate in the same way I back IE, even when others (especially earlier in the season with IE) are critical of their methods and style of play. I have a feeling the knives would have been well and truly out for Southgate and Stones had we not got that equaliser. 

Its great to see both the teams I love looking to play creative, exciting and more importantly winning football. I’m sure we’d all like to see us put games to bed earlier with our attacking play, but I’d take 1 goal wins everyday of the week. 

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

Ditto, just needs a decent creative midfielder next to him, Phillips isn't the answer, solid enough player, bu unfortunately we won't win anything until that midfield is sorted. 

In terms of creativity and keeping possession, I think it’s a strength of our current midfield. The likes of Foden, Mount, Grealish, Maddison etc are probably competing for 1/2 places behind the exciting forwards on offer.

For me the problem is more about protecting the back 4 (which I’m preferring to the 5). Which is why Southgate (correctly IMO) is always keen to include 1/2 defensive midfielders.

I agree with @RONNIE PHILLIPS and @Kent White in that Rice was excellent Wednesday and seems to be improving in an England shirt and while Phillips wasn’t bad, I think Henderson is in there when he’s fit.

• Members
8 hours ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

As a former member of the "I don't rate Declan Rice" club I have to say he was excellent last night. 

It’s because he is.  No coincidence that West Ham are having an excellent season and he’s been their best player. His pass completion rate is higher than KDB and Fernandes 

• Site Supporter
27 minutes ago, Rudy said:

It’s because he is.  No coincidence that West Ham are having an excellent season and he’s been their best player. His pass completion rate is higher than KDB and Fernandes 

That in itself doesn't always tell a true story though. Passes can be 5yrd sideways or backwards & make that completion rate look better than it actually is. 

I've watched him a few times & just thought he was bang average ( not taking into account his age tbf) but he seems to have grown in confidence & looked a top player. Felt exactly the same with Mount but he too was excellent against Poland. 

We now need to see how they cope against the top teams before we go ott but these are interesting times & competition for places is very strong.