Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

European Super League

Spider

4 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

If we can get fans from other clubs down to our place on the back of this then great regardless whoever they support

My lad can't wait for a Bolton season ticket once all is ok to do so.....

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Ani said:

Sorry do not agree with last few posts. 
But I think I maybe contradictory in my thinking! I do watch the EPL, not as much as when we were involved and normally I pick and choose based on teams. Leeds v Liverpool is an example tonight of a game I will watch, had Arsenal Fulham on yesterday but played Wi golf instead of watching. However I can not remember last Champions League game I watched or Championship game I watched. That is where my thinking feels skewed as I do watch some games based on a good watch but the so called highest level Champions League is of no interest , it is not an elite thing as never watch the Championship either.

What fucks me off with the thinking behind these plans is that football clubs are deep rooted in communities and their importance/impact goes way beyond any other business of similar size. This applies to United as much as it does to us. As much to Rochdale as it does to Liverpool. We can not on one hand slag off United for leaving and say let them hang themselves, but not give a shit about the impact on the fans and communities tied into a club. 
The current owners and players are custodians of something that has been built over decades to see that torn down because these custodians do not understand the importance of football is bad enough, to say we do not care makes it worse. To say it only 'add in any of 6' is no more right if those 6 are big and rich than if they are small poor and in our case mis managed. 
I think it is really important to not bracket the current custodians of the club with the actual club itself. Look at us is BWFC a better club based on current custodians compared to the previous guy ? 
The idea that these Johnny know nothing fuck wits think they have bought the right to rip up decades of tradition in the game and not only them not give a fuck but supporters like us should not give a fuck is surrender monkey land for me.

true to a degree

but Daniel Levy is up for it and he's a lifelong Spurs fan

both Madrids are owned by Spaniards as are Juventus

Barcelona is an interesting one as they are owned by the fans, or I thought they were, but they are skint

I dare say all the owners of the big 12 are propped up by loads of debt, and the CL just doesn't cover the bills anymore

14 minutes ago, Pablo said:

My lad can't wait for a Bolton season ticket once all is ok to do so.....

Tbf that is because he gets Tinnitus from all the high screeching you lot make every time the other lot get mentioned. 😘🤪

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Zico said:

true to a degree

but Daniel Levy is up for it and he's a lifelong Spurs fan

both Madrids are owned by Spaniards as are Juventus

Barcelona is an interesting one as they are owned by the fans, or I thought they were, but they are skint

I dare say all the owners of the big 12 are propped up by loads of debt, and the CL just doesn't cover the bills anymore

If the cl doesn't cover the bills, then that's the fault of the clubs themselves. 

Until they all learn to live within their means, then grabbing a load more is only temporary relief until they fritter it away again on stupid wages and transfer fees.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

If the cl doesn't cover the bills, then that's the fault of the clubs themselves. 

Until they all learn to live within their means, then grabbing a load more is only temporary relief until they fritter it away again on stupid wages and transfer fees.

agree

but

they'll not learn

not when someone is willing to pay for the broadcasting rights

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Winchester White said:

Where does this leave the players?

Plenty of England players at these clubs might not want to miss out on Euro's and World Cup's buy as they are contracted to their club they are fucked all round aren't they?

Lawyers will be all over this.

Maybe clubs have breached the contracts by undertaking something, without consultation, that has prevented their international attendance?

Can see some players fucking it off.

Take Saka for example: young kid with great potential. Suddenly, he will be playing in a closed shop of a franchise league, no chance of winning it and not allowed to represent his country. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Zico said:

agree

but

they'll not learn

not when someone is willing to pay for the broadcasting rights

Price to the punters has to be right though.

Most of us already fork out eye-watering sums to watch football.

The desire to pay more is thin on the ground I reckon, and looking at the numbers involved, they'll want big numbers paying big dollars.

Turnstile income really is a drop in the ocean now.

10 minutes ago, leigh white said:

I waited a long time for a Bolton v Man U fixture in the mid 70s, going to be well fucked now.

I don't give a fuck about seeing us play man united again, as long as my team is winning I don't give a fuck who we play, they can all fuck off for me don't give a toss 

2 minutes ago, Revelredne1961 said:

I don't give a fuck about seeing us play man united again, as long as my team is winning I don't give a fuck who we play, they can all fuck off for me don't give a toss 

Never had any feelings for Lickle Bury up the road ?

• Site Supporter
29 minutes ago, DavidLeesMullet said:

That's rich coming from a country that collaborated with the Nazis in World War II and helped to round up thousands of Jews to transport to work or extermination camps.

Wow! What about those Italian clubs? They can fuck off because of their part in the Roman Empire a couple of thousand years ago.

24 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Lawyers will be all over this.

Maybe clubs have breached the contracts by undertaking something, without consultation, that has prevented their international attendance?

Can see some players fucking it off.

Take Saka for example: young kid with great potential. Suddenly, he will be even fucking richer playing in a closed shop of a franchise league, no chance of winning it and not allowed to represent his country. 

Slight change

24 minutes ago, Spider said:

Price to the punters has to be right though.

Most of us already fork out eye-watering sums to watch football.

The desire to pay more is thin on the ground I reckon, and looking at the numbers involved, they'll want big numbers paying big dollars.

Turnstile income really is a drop in the ocean now.

Matchday income in the PL is worth 13% of overall revenue. That's the lowest in comparsion to Commercial/Sponsorship at 28% and broadcast rights which is 59%

Its the same across all the big leagues.

One of the reasons this has come about now is the need to consolidate the football market in a time of most covid viewing habits, as the deloites report said; The consumption demands of the fan in a postCOVID-19 world will therefore be of paramount importance and interest to the industry as it consolidates, recovers and ultimately grows in the face of the pandemic. An adaptation of existing business models is likely in the short-term at least as the industry adjusts to competing in a behind-closed-doors scenario, where the consumption preferences of fans watching from home become even more critical.

1 minute ago, Not in Crawley said:

Matchday income in the PL is worth 13% of overall revenue. That's the lowest in comparsion to Commercial/Sponsorship at 28% and broadcast rights which is 59%

Its the same across all the big leagues.

One of the reasons this has come about now is the need to consolidate the football market in a time of most covid viewing habits, as the deloites report said; The consumption demands of the fan in a postCOVID-19 world will therefore be of paramount importance and interest to the industry as it consolidates, recovers and ultimately grows in the face of the pandemic. An adaptation of existing business models is likely in the short-term at least as the industry adjusts to competing in a behind-closed-doors scenario, where the consumption preferences of fans watching from home become even more critical.

and on the subject of the Super League: When asked about ‘Super League’ style competitions the fans surveyed were mainly disapproving of such formats which would potentially match the largest, but not necessarily the current best on-pitch, clubs against each other on a regular season basis. 57% of fans posted negative sentiment with less than a quarter (24%) supportive. 63% also disapproved of the notion that these competitions should be ‘closed shop’ (i.e. no promotion/ relegation) to guarantee that the largest teams play each other each season.