Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

European Super League

Spider

Just now, Pablo said:

Financially, massively.

Look at the debt Real are in.

that's fair enough, but that financial dominance hasn't got down to winning trophies yet, although I suspect that might have been about to change

I'm actually interested to see what will happen - it's OK saying, kick them all out, and move on. If the EPL did kick out the "big 6" then pretty much every remaining club in the division would be going bust or close to pretty quickly, when the next TV deal is done (whenever that is) - and it would be the same in Spain as well.

I suspect there will be some sort of fudge done, there always is, and these "big" teams will be allowed to compete in both set ups, with the promise of a trickle down of the money, that may or may not happen. It'll be interesting to see what the 14 PL clubs come out and say today

There is a lot of talk about people playing in this Super League may not be allowed to play in World Cups.......will they be bothered though? - the money sloshing about would be immense, so the best players could easily be looking at £500K per week, every week for 4 or 5 years of their contract, or earn half or a third that and hope you qualify for a tournament and play more than 1 or 2 games in it.......money talks ultimately.

There's still plenty left to run in this, and it's great that they've announced it at this stage of the season, just before a major tournament - it's going to come down to who blinks first UEFA/FIFA or the "European Super League"  -  if I was to have a bet, I'd go with UEFA being the ones to buckle, which would be a shame, a real shame, but without those teams then UEFA suffers financially as well

1 minute ago, Sweep said:

that's fair enough, but that financial dominance hasn't got down to winning trophies yet, although I suspect that might have been about to change

I'm actually interested to see what will happen - it's OK saying, kick them all out, and move on. If the EPL did kick out the "big 6" then pretty much every remaining club in the division would be going bust or close to pretty quickly, when the next TV deal is done (whenever that is) - and it would be the same in Spain as well.

I suspect there will be some sort of fudge done, there always is, and these "big" teams will be allowed to compete in both set ups, with the promise of a trickle down of the money, that may or may not happen. It'll be interesting to see what the 14 PL clubs come out and say today

There is a lot of talk about people playing in this Super League may not be allowed to play in World Cups.......will they be bothered though? - the money sloshing about would be immense, so the best players could easily be looking at £500K per week, every week for 4 or 5 years of their contract, or earn half or a third that and hope you qualify for a tournament and play more than 1 or 2 games in it.......money talks ultimately.

There's still plenty left to run in this, and it's great that they've announced it at this stage of the season, just before a major tournament - it's going to come down to who blinks first UEFA/FIFA or the "European Super League"  -  if I was to have a bet, I'd go with UEFA being the ones to buckle, which would be a shame, a real shame, but without those teams then UEFA suffers financially as well

I dont think they care about collecting trophies righ now, the number 1 priority looks like money.

They are badly badly in need of it right now.

This ESL would mean 1 trophy, so they are giving up the other chances to win euro trophies/cups....just to be part of this finance league.

6 minutes ago, Rudy said:

And Barca. 

The PL is the most profitable league in the world bar absolutely none. 
Id imagine Real and Barca are the ring leaders here with United and want more of a champions league slice of the pie because of their history but that’s not how it works. 
I suspect Chelsea and City didn’t want to be left behind.

Spurs and Arsenal just want the money, same as Liverpool if their skint rumours are true. 

Real / Barca NEED the prem giants, badly. Without them this does not happen.

It completely saves those 2 clubs.

I can see Chelsea & City backing out....maybe Spurs too....then that leave sthe greedy 2/3, they lose an advantage.

14 minutes ago, Sweep said:

You’ve just highlighted why this will fail, just as the PL has done, in your comment about players earning £500k a week. The PL created more than enough money for these clubs but they poured it down the shitter paying ever more stupid wages and transfer fees. It will just be exactly the same with this new league and end up with these clubs still being mired in debt. The owners will be fine though, they’ll just find a way to write it off and take their dividends.

Kick the 6 out of the premier league, European comps, FA cup & League cup,  the 6 are losing money hand over fist and will continue losing money with increased spending with the extra revenue,  it’ll just mean more money given to players, agents and less going down the pyramid. Time for all parties to stand firm, Fans, FA, FIFA, Premier League and every other club in the country. Let’s hope the powers that be have the balls to put a stop to this. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

9 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Kick the 6 out of the premier league, European comps, FA cup & League cup,  the 6 are losing money hand over fist and will continue losing money with increased spending with the extra revenue,  it’ll just mean more money given to players, agents and less going down the pyramid. Time for all parties to stand firm, Fans, FA, FIFA, Premier League and every other club in the country. Let’s hope the powers that be have the balls to put a stop to this. 

Sounds a nice idea, and obviously I don't know, but as soon as you do that, doesn't it then mean the Premier League voids the agreed contract with SKY? which means they pull out, and pretty much every other club in the top division bust overnight.

It's of course not that straight forward, but I'm sure expelling those clubs would send a huge financial shockwave down the divisions - I guess we'll be able to see from the statement the other 14 clubs who are meeting today release, how likely an expulsion is to happen

We've building up to this shit-storm for the last decade or so, we all knew it was coming. If this does go ahead, then the next step will be setting these teams up as proper franchises, and they'll be playing their games all over the world - with teams probably playing 1/3 of their games at home, and 1/3 of their games away and the final 1/3 at "neutral" venues, or something similar

I'm surprised Murdoch/Sky haven't piped up yet (unless they have, and I've missed it) - as I'd have thought Amazon or Netflix would be all over these TV rights (unless the Super League would also develop their own separate streaming service to show the games)

• Moderators

Tell you what... Seen a lot of Liverpool and United fans massively opposed to this, and credit to them.

What I've not seen much of is the Massives. Citeh becoming everything they've claimed to hate. A massive joke.

27 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Sounds a nice idea, and obviously I don't know, but as soon as you do that, doesn't it then mean the Premier League voids the agreed contract with SKY? which means they pull out, and pretty much every other club in the top division bust overnight.

It's of course not that straight forward, but I'm sure expelling those clubs would send a huge financial shockwave down the divisions - I guess we'll be able to see from the statement the other 14 clubs who are meeting today release, how likely an expulsion is to happen

We've building up to this shit-storm for the last decade or so, we all knew it was coming. If this does go ahead, then the next step will be setting these teams up as proper franchises, and they'll be playing their games all over the world - with teams probably playing 1/3 of their games at home, and 1/3 of their games away and the final 1/3 at "neutral" venues, or something similar

I'm surprised Murdoch/Sky haven't piped up yet (unless they have, and I've missed it) - as I'd have thought Amazon or Netflix would be all over these TV rights (unless the Super League would also develop their own separate streaming service to show the games)

Something monumental needs to happen, these greedy bastards shouldn’t be allowed to dictate to the rest of the football family. Football needs a reset and a large dose of reality, let this be the beginning, have we got the leaders & unity to bring the 6 to boot? I don’t know, but if they aren’t brought into line the consequences for the game of football could be massive, sadly If they force this through I doubt football will ever be the same again. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Moderators
5 hours ago, mickbrown said:

Let them go?

This is the crux of it. They don't want to go anywhere.

They want to play in their domestic leagues as well with their guaranteed new found riches. That's the issue.

If they were just fucking off, it would be so bad.

nah, that's the point, it's what those six want

they're not arsed about the CL and want guaranteed big games european every season - 4 of them could well miss out this season to West Ham and Leicester

you have to earn the right to play these big games

they'll soon be fielding weakened teams to make sure they are at their strongest in this euro league

it's one or the other, so they can fuck off for me

• Moderators
4 hours ago, DazBob said:

If players of these clubs are banned from representing their countries then this will stop the whole sordid affair from happening, IMO.

Will the likes of Kane, Rashford, Mount, etc, who are already multi-millionaires, be willing to give up their dreams of playing in World Cups for a few £million more each year?  Personally, I don't think so.

aye

players and staff haven't been consulted

I hope the clubs go

then the FA, UEFA and FIFA say well tough shit, you don't play in the PL, CL, Euros or WC

any decent player stays in the PL, CL etc, and the ESL is left with the likes of Demba Ba and Igahlo earning top dollar playing up front for Madrid and Barcelona, a league full or nearly man and has beens

fans of the big 6 can start again in non league

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Have you signed a contract?

Yes

Can you get out of it?

No

Off you fuck then 

see Mezut Ozil for how things pan out in reality

you'll just have players sitting out there contracts playing meaningless friendlies (hopefully)

Congrats to Wolves

xPremier League Champions (most Expected Points):

Trophy

2014/15 - Southampton

Trophy

2015/16 - Leicester

Trophy

2016/17 - Everton

Trophy

2017/18 - Crystal Palace

Trophy

2018/19 - Wolves

Trophy

2019/20 - Wolves

Edited by boltondiver

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Something monumental needs to happen, these greedy bastards shouldn’t be allowed to dictate to the rest of the football family. Football needs a reset and a large dose of reality, let this be the beginning, have we got the leaders & unity to bring the 6 to boot? I don’t know, but if they aren’t brought into line the consequences for the game of football could be massive, sadly If they force this through I doubt football will ever be the same again. 

I agree, something big needs to happen, and a re-set is going to happen now - it'll send quite a few clubs under I reckon, but that's just tough shit I guess and is really only speeding up the inevitable anyway, it'll ultimately (I hope) be good for the game.

The thing is, this Super League,  no matter what anybody says will get fucking massive viewing figures, and will end up being a huge success anyway - the rest of us will just have to operate on a lesser scale, but it should become more competitive, which would make a change.

7 minutes ago, DavidLeesMullet said:

If you include all domestic competitions that means we won the 1904 F.A. Cup and the 1995 League Cup, ::lol::!!!

If you down that root, be interesting to see what else teams would have won.

• Site Supporter
59 minutes ago, Zico said:

nah, that's the point, it's what those six want

they're not arsed about the CL and want guaranteed big games european every season - 4 of them could well miss out this season to West Ham and Leicester

you have to earn the right to play these big games

they'll soon be fielding weakened teams to make sure they are at their strongest in this euro league

it's one or the other, so they can fuck off for me

This 100%.

It's OK saying we need these clubs, but frankly, we don't.

Guaranteed European football and hundreds of millions per year, means no effort needs to made made in the prem. Not even prem status necessarily. 

Moreover, how can they be in it, if they won't be going into Europe competitions operated by eufa should they qualify. Makes the epl a mockery of a league, so the surely need to go.

OK, Sky may not be able to afford as much, but so what- the rest of the clubs will have to live within their means- plenty of others clubs are struggling financially despite the Premier league.

Fuck them off, introduce some relevant legislation to protect those remaining, and have greater financial governance in whatever new structure is created. 

It's the same players, and if they don't want to play on slightly reduced wages, feel free to go and be a brickie.

25 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I agree, something big needs to happen, and a re-set is going to happen now - it'll send quite a few clubs under I reckon, but that's just tough shit I guess and is really only speeding up the inevitable anyway, it'll ultimately (I hope) be good for the game.

The thing is, this Super League,  no matter what anybody says will get fucking massive viewing figures, and will end up being a huge success anyway - the rest of us will just have to operate on a lesser scale, but it should become more competitive, which would make a change.

Well I won't be watching so that fucks their numbers up. 🤣😎