Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

European Super League

Spider

• Site Supporter
30 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I suppose they can only be punished if they've broken any rules - you can't dole out a punishment just because you feel like it and don't like what somebody has done, it can only be done if rules have been broken. I don't know enough about what football clubs sign up to, in order to be part of the PL, so maybe they have broken some rules, but I bet they haven't

I would assume making such decisions without consultation with the Premier league and the other teams may be a breach of the rules.

It may be something that the fa could do- a ban from next season's for cup for example. 

27 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I suppose they can only be punished if they've broken any rules - you can't dole out a punishment just because you feel like it and don't like what somebody has done, it can only be done if rules have been broken. I don't know enough about what football clubs sign up to, in order to be part of the PL, so maybe they have broken some rules, but I bet they haven't

Well, in fact, they have.

Whilst still contracted to their domestic competition they didn't just discuss a breakaway, they actually, last week, got around to signing one. That conflicts with their existing contracts.

The leavers then broje THAT contract within days. So the new organisation could also sue them. In the normal World ordinary people could cite "buyers remorse" but not at such high levels.

I'm unsure there's going to be any will to do that.

I, in my vindictive hat, would love these guys to get kicked from.pillar to post. But, in reality, it's not going to happen. Courts would be very busy and top lawyers do very well out of it & it'd take an age ..

& I'm not sure it would succeed.

10 hours ago, Big E said:

I think the money men will think twice now with it. They have just lost 50% of the £350million per club pie. Can’t see the yanks being happy with that. 

hopefully we get some big reforms. People know the Prem is shit now. Too much money. We need more fan involvement similar to Germany. 

It'll have to start at clubs lower down first, no way will PL owners just give up control.

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I would assume making such decisions without consultation with the Premier league and the other teams may be a breach of the rules.

It may be something that the fa could do- a ban from next season's for cup for example. 

They don’t want to be in the Cup, anyway!

1 hour ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Well, in fact, they have.

Whilst still contracted to their domestic competition they didn't just discuss a breakaway, they actually, last week, got around to signing one. That conflicts with their existing contracts.

The leavers then broje THAT contract within days. So the new organisation could also sue them. In the normal World ordinary people could cite "buyers remorse" but not at such high levels.

I'm unsure there's going to be any will to do that.

I, in my vindictive hat, would love these guys to get kicked from.pillar to post. But, in reality, it's not going to happen. Courts would be very busy and top lawyers do very well out of it & it'd take an age ..

& I'm not sure it would succeed.

The irony is that they will have spent millions playing this, with lawyers building the case etc. The amount of money that football generates that just gets swept up those on the edges like lawyers and agents is horrendous 

• Members
32 minutes ago, Mona said:

Up to the fans

boycott tv coverage 

withdraw season ticket, games, shirts sales 

up to them

It won’t make a difference, the Arabian and Far East market is massive that’s where the revenue is, that’s why they go on pre season tours there 

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, Francis Fogarty said:

They are not apologising for shitting on supporters and the PL, they are apologising for getting found out as the greedy self serving bastards they are.

Considering what city's owners have spent in the community as well as on the pitch, I'm nor sure they're completely self serving. 

I wonder how much Abramovich has put into Chelsea too.

Happy to maximise revenues of course, but I can't help feeling this has been driven by the Americans.

5 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I think some sort of punishment wouldn't go amiss, but it would need to be cleverly done, or fans from those clubs could feel aggrieved despite their opposition bringing the idea down.

A little point deduction maybe, but a relegation suspended for a few years perhaps.

this is a New Coke punishment. 

"oops ! we fucked up , heres the old shit back"

"oops ! our hostile reverse takeover collapsed , please give us money so we dont go bankrupt and can pay off our failed takeover loans"

fwiw , i'd just forget it , but its kicked the can down the road for a while , cant see them trying any more shit anytime soon. 

maybe. 

still wouldnt be surprised if uefa orchestrated it , viewing figures in the covid era must be bobbins. 

josep guardiola most powerful man in sport

amazing that he could imagine being shit , but the owners couldnt. 

6 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

These guys haven't gone away, just retreated. They'll prepare better and return more oven-ready than before

Quite frankly I was cool with it. The idea of not having Liverpool, Stretford shoved down our throats was really quite appealing.

Totally agree

There is a vast difference in the Premier League between top & bottom and getting rid of the big city clubs would have done a lot of good in my opinion. Promotion to the Prem can be seen as a ticket to bankruptcy not an opportunity to compete.

I find it ironic that these fans have been boasting about having the biggest hi tech stadia, the most expensive defenders and paying the ball kicking staff a million a month each. This arms race was only going to end in one place and the ESL has given us a glimpse of the their futures.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Happy to maximise revenues of course, but I can't help feeling this has been driven by the Americans.

More so the Spaniards I'd say

They appear to think contracts have been signed and there's no turning back

6 hours ago, Zico said:

Driven by Utd, Liverpool, Juventus and Real Madrid, it seems.

3 hours ago, boltondiver said:

Driven by Utd, Liverpool, Juventus and Real Madrid, it seems.

It is. The Spaniards are SO broke they make our debts look like a couple of £tenners dropped from our pocket.

The Madrid guy is getting very tetchy about it and the Juventus geezer can't understand why no-one sees what a marvelous opportunity it all is for the trickle down.

Henry of Liverpool wins a prize for "the most insincere grovelling 'apology' whilst looking like a hostage" video contest. Spurs continue to just look confused. 

Already reshaping has begun and UEFA have been quick out the blocks to repropose their bollox dog & pony show expanded European Chamionship idea so thoroughly panned last year.

On these islands meanwhile the British Superleague bullshit (aka. A reduced to 18 club Premiership with Celtic & Rangers in there) is quickly being dusted down. Ideal if 16 English towns & cities fancy taking it in turns to be trashed each weekend.

The apologies are insincere, the other large clubs 'anger' is simply that they weren't included.

Meanwhile the JP Morgans are 'embarrassed' and Sky, &/or other associated providers of cash are simply keeping their heads down.

14 hours ago, Rudy said:

It won’t make a difference, the Arabian and Far East market is massive that’s where the revenue is, that’s why they go on pre season tours there 

And exactly why this isn't jst the American's fault. Investment in City is sports washing at its finest, just as Chelsea was 15 years ago, and PSG as well.

This isn't just about a love of the game, this is about showing a presentable face to the West for Shieks and Oligarchs so that people ignore how they got their money or the regimes that prop them up. 

The City group is essentially at investment made by the UAE, Mansour being the front. I mean it doesn't take much to turn over the most arbitary stone and see the human rights violations in the UAE by a family who will not accept any political opposition from sexual equality to basic rights. Yet throw some pocket change to develop a bit of NW England and everyone turns their heads.

Look at Newcastle fans wanting the takeover from one of the most brutal dictatorships in the world, just because it got rid of a fat businessman they didn't like.

I'm all for the outcry about the SL, but if the pearl clutching only happens now, where has everyone been looking over the past decade? 

19 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

And exactly why this isn't jst the American's fault. Investment in City is sports washing at its finest, just as Chelsea was 15 years ago, and PSG as well.

This isn't just about a love of the game, this is about showing a presentable face to the West for Shieks and Oligarchs so that people ignore how they got their money or the regimes that prop them up. 

The City group is essentially at investment made by the UAE, Mansour being the front. I mean it doesn't take much to turn over the most arbitary stone and see the human rights violations in the UAE by a family who will not accept any political opposition from sexual equality to basic rights. Yet throw some pocket change to develop a bit of NW England and everyone turns their heads.

Look at Newcastle fans wanting the takeover from one of the most brutal dictatorships in the world, just because it got rid of a fat businessman they didn't like.

I'm all for the outcry about the SL, but if the pearl clutching only happens now, where has everyone been looking over the past decade? 

Its a great point.

Every club is guilty of that kind of hypocrisy, and so are all us fans.

You loved it in the prem spending too much and throwing big wages at big names, same for us throwing money around funnelled into the club via a dodgy Uzbek mate of Putin.

Everyone has a hint of that in the clubs, tax fiddles etc, all sorts.

Suppose its a matter of how much good the clubs do too, maybe its a balancing act, and not all take take take.

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, Zico said:

Real Madrid driven by being skint perhaps. The Americans driven by an idea to make more money. The financial backers point to that too.

Anyway, some good points about hypocrisy: John Barnes did an interview and talked about it. Not normally into that fella, but he was right.

City were a basket case for decades, then in desperation were taken over by the vile Thai, Shinawatra* with a cv Pol Pot would have been proud of. Oddly, he had oddles of cash so was accepted as a saviour by the Massive.

Then the Arabs came in. My, they do smile a lot. Again, a sort of "no questions asked" mentality. I remain convinced that, like the apocryphal story of the Arizona guy who bought London Bridge thinking it was Tower Bridge, I still think they believed they were buying the red type of Manc.

Clubs will do this, fans will do it. We'd have taken any sort of rescuer 2 years ago.

* other vague approximations of the spelling may exist.

1 hour ago, Pablo said:

Its a great point.

Every club is guilty of that kind of hypocrisy, and so are all us fans.

You loved it in the prem spending too much and throwing big wages at big names, same for us throwing money around funnelled into the club via a dodgy Uzbek mate of Putin.

Everyone has a hint of that in the clubs, tax fiddles etc, all sorts.

Suppose its a matter of how much good the clubs do too, maybe its a balancing act, and not all take take take.

Agreed, those Chelsea fans with their We Want Our Cold Night's In Stoke banners, are the same ones taunting fans with wads of cash when Abromovich took tover. You can't have it both ways, wanting to dominate a league because of financial imblance that favours your club and ignore where the money is coming from and then accusing the same owners of greed and selfishness. 

I mean, Naville's rant was well shared but honest to god - has it only just dwned on people? Has everyone only now realised why these owners buy these clubs? I don't think the UAE woke up one morning and went, ''You know, I think it'd be a really great thing if we used some of our billions to develop East Manchester - I mean we've sorted out out country, time to help others.'' I'm not saying there isn't a benefical side, but this isn't charitable giving, its global politics and fans are being treated as the convienent idiots who'll ignore everything else as long as their team wins. I hope this now stops and we collectively demand more from the custodians of our clubs, even if it means sacrificing league places, cup finals etc

• Members
10 minutes ago, tomski said:

I see the dmbs are on about setting up another splinter club purchasing recently defunct flixton fc. Unbearable tossers.

Have their own fucking league soon. 

Do they realise how much they’ve won since they took over? How much they’ve spent.

They're some of the most spoilt bastards in football they deserve nothing 

12 minutes ago, tomski said:

I see the dmbs are on about setting up another splinter club purchasing recently defunct flixton fc. Unbearable tossers.

Have their own fucking league soon. 

They could let Bury into it.

The Neville's would know it. It's the one they should have bought.