Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oasis - Shheeite.

I'm.not having Oasis' albums were groundbreaking, they came after a period of musical dominance from America and were certainly in the right place at the right time, but I'd say that Britpop really started with Modern Life is Rubbish and the single Popscene and then Suede came with their now infamous 'Yanks go home' cover after they had played at the Brits. What Oasis did was drag an indie movement into the limelight by being more palatable to people who weren't going to buy Animal Nitrate or Sunday, Sunday. As Noel said at the time, "Maybe if you live in London and are a pantomime horse, then it means something to you." But just as important as Oasis' music was the fact they were more relatable to people who previously weren't buying guitar based music. They liked football, drugs, going out and girls. Then everyone else followed (Damon's 'love' of Chelsea always seemed fake)

Then the labels decended onto Camden and Manchester trying to sign every band with a feather cut. By 97 it was over but great things did come of it, Verve finally getting the recognition they deserved for one thing.

Personally, combine all their output and you've got one decent album, but if you look at what some.like Damon Albarn has done since, it's amazing or even yes, the Mondays who were genuine innovators. I get writing a simple.song that thousands of people love is a bloody difficult thing to do, but looking back I just can't see Oasis being mentioned musically in the same breath as some.of their peers.

1 minute ago, kent_white said:

One decent album and even that was mainly full of ripped off songs. Became a novelty band.

Used to prefer them to Blur but as I've got older and wiser I've realised Blur wrote songs the Noel could only dream about.

oooh.....

• Members
35 minutes ago, kent_white said:

One decent album and even that was mainly full of ripped off songs. Became a novelty band.

Used to prefer them to Blur but as I've got older and wiser I've realised Blur wrote songs the Noel could only dream about.

Rubbish. Beetlebum, tender yeah but this is a man who wrote girls and boys, park life and country house he’s hardly Bob Dylan 

35 minutes ago, Sweep said:

even better than when you came to the FistMater3000 launch on the summer of '17 (the final event at the inaugural FistFest) , when over 10K of us, atop Winter Hill, all inserted at the same time, it took that much power out of the grid, that every TV in the land flickered for a couple of seconds, and the collective hum was enough to send shockwaves through the atmosphere that sent sonar reliant animals wild off course for several hours

Did you use to write for The Viz?

Edited by Rudy

13 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Rubbish. Beetlebum, tender yeah but this is a man who wrote girls and boys, park life and country house he’s hardly Bob Dylan 

Did you use to write for The Viz?

Albarn is a great musician, sorry but he pisses on Noel G. I mean you don't have to look at his songs - look at the bands, Blur, Gorillaz and The Good, The Bad and The Queen. I don't think Oasis have written a song that comes close to as good at The Westway, Melancoly Hill or Merrie Land (that has to be one the best songs he's written) - three amazing songs from three different bands. Also, he wrote two bloody opera for pities sake (Dr.Dee and Monkey: Journey to the West) Plus he's also a great frontman as well.

I'm with Kent, sort of cringe looking back, Oasis are like a McDonald's, fills a gap but not satifiying in the long run. 

And 'grebs' or more recently 'moshers' are very fastidious with hair hygiene - a gig at The International II would reek of Timotei.

When those City cunts pitched up at our house - some beast shat into a Budweiser cup in the ESL.

Plastic 'mancunians' strutting around like they owned it. Vermin.

Field Music's new album is a cracker - highly recomended.

Still, got to give it to Noel, at least his later stuff is a bit more interesting. The problem with slagging everything else off, it's funny in terviews but where do you go if you only allow yourself to play one type of music. Oasis are the epitome of musical conservatism. 

• Members
39 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Albarn is a great musician, sorry but he pisses on Noel G. I mean you don't have to look at his songs - look at the bands, Blur, Gorillaz and The Good, The Bad and The Queen. I don't think Oasis have written a song that comes close to as good at The Westway, Melancoly Hill or Merrie Land (that has to be one the best songs he's written) - three amazing songs from three different bands. Also, he wrote two bloody opera for pities sake (Dr.Dee and Monkey: Journey to the West) Plus he's also a great frontman as well.

I'm with Kent, sort of cringe looking back, Oasis are like a McDonald's, fills a gap but not satifiying in the long run. 

He might be but IMO Blur aren’t close to oasis as a band and considering you class cannibal corpse as music I’m happy with my opinion ☺️

• Moderators

there's some duff ones in amongst all those Oasis albums, particulary post Be Here Now

but these are top tunes:

• Bring It On Down
  • Morning Glory
  • Whatever
  • It's Gettin Better Man
  • Stay Young

ground breaking, no, genre/era defining, yes

end of the day, every album Noel hjas released has got to number one, so he's done something right along the way

Just now, Zico said:

there's some duff ones in amongst all those Oasis albums, particulary post Be Here Now

but these are top tunes:

• Bring It On Down
  • Morning Glory
  • Whatever
  • It's Gettin Better Man
  • Stay Young

ground breaking, no, genre/era defining, yes

end of the day, every album Noel hjas released has got to number one, so he's done something right along the way

''People like Coldplay, you can't trust people''

• Moderators
Just now, Not in Crawley said:

''People like Coldplay, you can't trust people''

aye, I know, as I typed it i expected someone to point out all the shite that tops the charts, but still

I like Blur as well

Oasis done nothing as good as Sing, No Where Left To Run or even On Your Own & MOR

but Blur done nothing as good as those I listed above

Coldplay's first two albums were ok, but they've done nothing as good as either, but probably outsold both put together

mad innit

2 minutes ago, Zico said:

aye, I know, as I typed it i expected someone to point out all the shite that tops the charts, but still

I like Blur as well

Oasis done nothing as good as Sing, No Where Left To Run or even On Your Own & MOR

but Blur done nothing as good as those I listed above

Coldplay's first two albums were ok, but they've done nothing as good as either, but probably outsold both put together

mad innit

Its just a line from Peep Show that I like.

I quite like their new 80s song, actually.

• Site Supporter

If every band was groundbreaking, how would you know which bands were truly breaking new ground?

Oasis basically came along at the right time , as is the case with most successful outfits.

• Members
2 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

ok, who do people think are truly groundbreaking acts?

Bands who didn’t take a while to find their feet but hit the ground running, In my time Oasis, Arctic Monkeys 

53 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

That's fine, I think history might judge it slightly differently.

What history is this then? You mean your opinion?

Are you forgetting Beady eye, high flying birds and Liam’s solo stuff exist?

Or Noel’s Colabs with The Chemcial Brothers or CamelPhat?