Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Keith Hill

Horwich

36 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

We have the players & staff currently to be successful but I will have to add to the squad in January is my favourite soundbite from that load of Stanley Unwinisms. 

Along with having a terrific young squad with great experience.

" ... we can use the energy that the young players have, embrace it, and obviously take it to games to win them.

We are looking for an intelligent energy and with this comes experience and knowledge".

I  think that's what he said, anyway.

Used to play with Keith's dad Keith in the combination years ago...impressive Mexican tache too. Keith senior was hard as fuck too and if Keith junior has inherited this trait I would stand well back if ever the chance to abuse him to his face presented itself.

• Site Supporter
26 minutes ago, Rubberkex said:

Used to play with Keith's dad Keith in the combination years ago...impressive Mexican tache too. Keith senior was hard as fuck too and if Keith junior has inherited this trait I would stand well back if ever the chance to abuse him to his face presented itself.

Abuse, or saying what they see?

His off the wall ramblings have become legendary- might explain things if he is readily taken to windmilling rather than speaking in considered, rational sentences.

23 hours ago, Rubberkex said:

Abuse? Hardly. There’s not a set of fans anywhere in the world that don’t criticise/take the piss out of current or ex managers.

For the most part, Bolton fans backed KH when he took the gig here and there is no doubt that it was a very difficult period to manage Bolton, however it soon became apparent that his position was untenable and that he was in fact, a bit of a knob.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

21 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

... however it soon became apparent that his position was untenable and that he was in fact, a bit of a knob.

This.

He's a Bolton guy, lives in the town & is a 'fan'. He had a chequered but solid enough low-league CV. He came to a club in Administration with a 12 point deduction, half a dozen pastings already on the board (notwithstanding the hard fought 0-0 v Coventry) and financial controls meaning no abilty to buy or pay agent fees.

We had virtually no seasoned professionals still with us. He joined on the weekend of the transfer deadline & pulled in 9 or 10 players. Obviously these players were available for reasons and many had no pre-season. He found Crawford, Bridcutt, Verlinden & Emmanuel amongst others. He had a great November and it looked like the great escape could just, just be feasible. Something changed over January, then the arrival of mystery man, Tobias P. 

The fans understood survival was unlikely. He was given great latitude & our parlous position was always understood not to be in any way his fault.

But his bizarre behaviour, selections, fall-outs and interviews began to add up. He became an embarrassing joke. 

Edited by Dr. Feelgood

Looking back I think he was in a hiding to nothing with us.

Pretty sure he was appointed for a year only, I also suspect the club thought we were down and it bought them some time to plan ahead (good thing)

Obviously his paranoia was his downfall as well as the rants and I think the change was best but in reality I don’t think he can be judged off his spell with us.

10 minutes ago, tomski said:

Pretty sure he was appointed for a year only, I also suspect the club thought we were down and it bought them some time to plan ahead (good thing)

Obviously his paranoia was his downfall as well as the rants and I think the change was best but in reality I don’t think he can be judged off his spell with us.

He got dealt a bad hand and played it badly. We only had half a squad and it didn't help that part way through his tenure Tobias Phoenix arrived.

I'm glad he's no longer our manager though.

54 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

This.

He's a Bolton guy, lives in the town & is a 'fan'. He had a chequered but solid enough low-league CV. He came to a club in Administration with a 12 point deduction, half a dozen pastings already on the board (notwithstanding the hard fought 0-0 v Coventry) and financial controls meaning no abilty to buy or pay agent fees.

We had virtually no seasoned professionals still with us. He joined on the weekend of the transfer deadline & pulled in 9 or 10 players. Obviously these players were available for reasons and many had no pre-season. He found Crawford, Bridcutt, Verlinden & Emmanuel amongst others. He had a great November and it looked like the great escape could just, just be feasible. Something changed over January, then the arrival of mystery man, Tobias P. 

The fans understood survival was unlikely. He was given great latitude & our parlous position was always understood not to be in any way his fault.

But his bizarre behaviour, selections, fall-outs and interviews began to add up. He became an embarrassing joke. 

Not a 'fan'. He's a filthy rag.

Also, the final straw for me was after that game at Rochdale when I was wetter than an otter's pocket ... and he accused us all of not getting behind our team.  Cheeky cunt.

Edited by DazBob

1 hour ago, Traf said:

No photo description available.

5'7" Liam Bridcutt at centre half...

Tbf in that game his hand was forced by the red card.

The fact in future games he tried it game when Bridcutt who was still 5'7" was carrying a knock gave him cock status. 

As mentioned the comments after Rochdale were just embarrassing only good thing he has done since is mess Tranmere up for a while.

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, tomski said:

Get what you're saying, but had he kept himself to himself, carried on the positive start, he may have been given the job of trying to get us back up.

Instead we got Evatt, who also had to do the job of building a team (hampered initially by phoenix it seems). 

Hill just seemed unprofessional. 

Some good reasoned comments and opinons above, especially Dr Feelgood's assessment.  Yes Hill was/is a knob, yes he was embarrassing, yes his interviews were bizarre.  But without a doubt not everything he did was bad, and some of the games were a breath of fresh air entertainment wise given we had only just got over Parky ball.  And as bad as that Accy game was, as Ani says the ref decided to give them a pen and sending off advantage after about 10 minutes.  Vale scored 6 at our place in the first hour without any help from the ref!  

Our best midfielder, Bridcutt at centre back, that was very strange.  For me Hill went from appearing to make a bit of progress, to "does this guy know what he's doing?" from then on.  

• Moderators

Im not having it hill wanted to get shut of the better players in january

So, i dont judge him on the few games we played after that

I think iles stitched him up re the comments post rochdale, though i dont blame iles, hes just numb

It was reported hill turned on the fans, when in reality his anger was aimed at a couple of ex players who were sniping at him, while being well paid

No wonder he was paranoid, the cnuts

Am i glad evatts in post, 100%, i am

• 5 months later...