Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Meanwhile in Israel


wanderer1984

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

You can’t be that naive on this surely mate?

Israel is currently rife with extreme Zionists who want to eradicate Arabs from their land and homes. It’s a daily occurrence and the US has urged them to stop.

Some of these people now hold significant power in government. Their own defence minister resigned last year saying escalation was very likely because of Israel’s actions in the West Bank. 
 

There’s a reason this conflict is horrendous right now & it’s because both sides are run by extremists. 
 

 

There maybe extreme zionists who would eradicate Arabs, however Israel is a democracy and the overwhelming  majority of Israelis want peace with the Arabs, and I’m sure so do most Palestinians,  but on the other hand you have Hamas and their whole being for existence is to eradicate Israel/Jews. Is it naive of me to think if Hamas were removed then a peace process would begin… just as it was before 1300 Jews were murdered in a successful attempt to stop that peace process. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

There maybe extreme zionists who would eradicate Arabs.

Mot a case of maybe mate. There are many of them, and they get free rein & direct government support to eradicate Arab communities. 

Is it naive of me to think if Hamas were removed then a peace process would begin… 

Aye it is.

They’ve already said Palestine can’t have a state. How do you negotiate a peace process with someone who doesn’t accept your right to a state and continues to bulldoze your homes on a daily basis?

There’s two sides who need to change for meaningful peace to happen.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, London Wanderer said:

 

To be fair - it's the current Israeli regime that have said they're opposed to a Palestinian state. And it's a right wing hawkish regime that's quite unpopular. Bring in some moderates and that might change. 

Sadly what we're likely to have now is a couple of generations of Palestinians seeking to avenge the deaths of their family members. 

Round and round we go! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, kent_white said:

To be fair - it's the current Israeli regime that have said they're opposed to a Palestinian state. And it's a right wing hawkish regime that's quite unpopular. Bring in some moderates and that might change. 

Sadly what we're likely to have now is a couple of generations of Palestinians seeking to avenge the deaths of their family members. 

Round and round we go! 

Precisely 👍

 I’ve tried to be clear in the past by saying it’s the current Israeli government. Bring in someone different & we could see a peace process. Sadly it was the Israeli people who voted them in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, London Wanderer said:

Precisely 👍

 I’ve tried to be clear in the past by saying it’s the current Israeli government. Bring in someone different & we could see a peace process. Sadly it was the Israeli people who voted them in.

You really need to look at the election results.

‘Sadly the British people voted for Brexit.’ 
In your world, you will forever be labelled with that. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BobyBrno said:

You really need to look at the election results.

‘Sadly the British people voted for Brexit.’ 
In your world, you will forever be labelled with that. 

 

Just pointing out that a significant proportion of the Israeli population support some of the extremist policies that their government carry out.

Likewise a significant proportion of the population in Gaza sympathise with Hamas. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, London Wanderer said:

Just pointing out that a significant proportion of the Israeli population support some of the extremist policies that their government carry out.

Likewise a significant proportion of the population in Gaza sympathise with Hamas. 

Significant?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

adjective

1. 

sufficiently great or important to be worthy of attention; noteworthy.

😊 Netanyahu has as much support in Israel as Sunak has here. Let’s blame the Israeli people though. That’s what you said didn’t you? 
Could that question be asked of any other nation? You do know what antisemitism is don’t you?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I don't think there's any doubt a significant number of the Israeli population support Netwnyahu's government

Well there were demonstrations against him yesterday in Israel but how ‘significant’ the opposition is I don’t know. I haven’t seen any demonstrations against Hamas in Gaza.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

Well there were demonstrations against him yesterday in Israel but how ‘significant’ the opposition is I don’t know. I haven’t seen any demonstrations against Hamas in Gaza.

Sure, but the current Israeli government was voted in by the Israeli electorate and is still in power so it's silly to claim there isn't significant support for it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Sure, but the current Israeli government was voted in by the Israeli electorate and is still in power so it's silly to claim there isn't significant support for it

I was questioning how much was significant. The last I saw, only around 15% supported him. If you think that’s significant, fine. 
It’s always been said that criticism of the Israeli government is not antisemitic. That is true. The rise in antisemitism is directed at individuals though so I think it’s important to recognise the truth about his support.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

I was questioning how much was significant. The last I saw, only around 15% supported him. If you think that’s significant, fine. 
It’s always been said that criticism of the Israeli government is not antisemitic. That is true. The rise in antisemitism is directed at individuals though so I think it’s important to recognise the truth about his support.

I think you were disputing the figure was significant

But in any event, I'd consider that figure significant in its own right, and support for policies and faith in the competence Government are different things

Perhaps I should've stated there's no doubt there's significant support for the more hardline policies

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter

Iirc, Netanyahu didn't get a majority, and for some time he's had to rely on a number of partners to form a coalition government that would command a majority in their parliament. Some more extreme, so less.

Just seen an article (from December) that says he's deeply unpopular.

I don't think the majority of folk there voted him in, and at the next election (later this year) I would expect him to be gone, or at best for him, be in the situation he's in now and relying on others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Iirc, Netanyahu didn't get a majority, and for some time he's had to rely on a number of partners to form a coalition government that would command a majority in their parliament. Some more extreme, so less.

Just seen an article (from December) that says he's deeply unpopular.

I don't think the majority of folk there voted him in, and at the next election (later this year) I would expect him to be gone, or at best for him, be in the situation he's in now and relying on others.

Wasn't there a period where nobody got a majority and had a number of elections and still nobody got one 

Don't know how it all ended but thought someone else, Gantz maybe, got in. Then got replaced by Netanyahu

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

My limited interest in israeli politics leads me to a perception theyre generally ruled by coalition?

Id say its pretty damning that you end up with a coalition led by him

Hes out on his ear, possibly to jail when the massacres end

And folk wonder why it continues?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, BobyBrno said:

😊 Netanyahu has as much support in Israel as Sunak has here. Let’s blame the Israeli people though. That’s what you said didn’t you? 
Could that question be asked of any other nation? You do know what antisemitism is don’t you?

Oh get a grip for fcks sake 🤣

Antisemitism ?!?

Can't even criticise voters now without being labelled a racist. 

I believe my actual words were "sadly the people of Israel voted them in". Which they did no? A significant proportion voted for them despite knowing their extremist roots. That's not blaming all the Israeli people. Just pointing out that they had a lot of supprot and still do in some camps. As others have pointed out. 

Edited by London Wanderer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Oh get a grip for fcks sake 🤣

Antisemitism ?!?

Can't even criticise voters now without being labelled a racist. 

I believe my actual words were "sadly the people of Israel voted them in". Which they did no? A significant proportion voted for them despite knowing their extremist roots. That's not blaming all the Israeli people. Just pointing out that they had a lot of supprot and still do in some camps. As others have pointed out. 

No, they didn't.

A number will have voted for him, but not enough for a majority. 

Just like here with our coalition government a while back.

Hence, they form a mutual back-scratching arrangement so as to get a bit for everyone, and have a functioning government.

Far from a situation where the population predominantly votes for him.

29 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Wasn't there a period where nobody got a majority and had a number of elections and still nobody got one 

Don't know how it all ended but thought someone else, Gantz maybe, got in. Then got replaced by Netanyahu

Yes.

Been a difficult period for the nation. Stupid thing is, that talks were ongoing with Saudi etc to move towards acceptance and a more peaceful situation.

Then the terrorist attack, Netanyahu is empowered, peace talks stall, and the people of Israel and Gaza are left unhappy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

No, they didn't.

A number will have voted for him, but not enough for a majority. 

Just like here with our coalition government a while back.

Hence, they form a mutual back-scratching arrangement so as to get a bit for everyone, and have a functioning government.

Far from a situation where the population predominantly votes for him.

 

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2022/11/3/netanyahu-and-far-right-declared-winners-in-israeli-elections
 

There are more extreme groups than Netanyahu as well who are popular.

 It’s hardly that hard to grasp. Their policies captured a lot of support amongst voters & still do. It’s clearly a significant proportion of Israeli’s voting for them because you’ve got extremists high up in government.

 I hope the moderates win next time round.

Edited by London Wanderer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whatever his popularity at the GE, he’s not very popular now. As I’ve said previously, in January a poll showed 85% of Israelis were dissatisfied with his handling of the crisis in Gaza. Yesterday a big protest in TelAviv. More should be made of these things.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/netanyahu-dismisses-election-calls-thousands-protest-tel-aviv-2024-02-17/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
5 hours ago, BobyBrno said:

Whatever his popularity at the GE, he’s not very popular now. As I’ve said previously, in January a poll showed 85% of Israelis were dissatisfied with his handling of the crisis in Gaza. Yesterday a big protest in TelAviv. More should be made of these things.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/netanyahu-dismisses-election-calls-thousands-protest-tel-aviv-2024-02-17/

anti semites the lot of them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.