Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Retained List

Freddie Hill

Yep. Always a shame for good honest triers like Arthur, & Miller never let us down. Thanks to them.

A tad surprised that Tutte remains but, again, never let us down just overtaken by other players. Same with Delaney.

Can't see Comley, Greenidge, Gordon still being here come September. Evatt won't use a squad number on them.

A few of the on-contract list are young enough not to count in the 22.

I suspect he'll bring a few in but some, like in January, may be late as they look for bigger pay or clubs. Plus a couple of loanees once clubs from the top 2 leagues settle their squads.

Interesting times & far, far better to be doing this now rather than preparing for play-off matches.

Aslong as Tutte is content in being a backup squad player filling in when needed then no problems he didn't put a foot wrong really. Delaney on the other hand is suspect & was at fault for a good amount of goals after the new year, so thank god Baps came in. Delaney did have a decent bit of form in our mini run before Xmas & scored that winner against Cheltenham so credit where it's due but I wouldn't have kept him on although I hope he proves us wrong. The rest are all expected & no real complaints, Isgrove stepped up when it mattered during the final push & his pressure from the front will be vital in the harder games next season. Arthur & Miller thanks for the Mansfield/Southend/Barrow winners, should have no problem getting a L2 team hopefully they can start games for whoever & smash it. 

Currently reading Kieran McGuire's The Price of Football.  Average wage in L2 is apparently around £75k pa.   In L1 double that.  I guess if you have players like Tutte and Delaney who can do a squad job you might be able to save a bit on wages and pay new and quality arrivals more.  Presumably those like Doyle and Sarce had wage increases built into their contracts if we got promoted.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

I would have fucked Tutte and Delaney off, they are L2 standard at best, they are just taking up a squad places.

Tuttes played plenty at L1 level

If we go with MJ and Lee starting he'll do as back up, we rarely needed him post Jan, but needed him on the bench 

Be fine if it works like that next season

• Moderators
53 minutes ago, marple whites said:

John and dapo back defo if we can,  isgrove ?

Offered more than Dapo so I would 

Be interesting to see if we persue that Kiltie, he sounds promising

2 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

I would have fucked Tutte and Delaney off, they are L2 standard at best, they are just taking up a squad places.

Delaney can definitely go.

Tutte is plenty good enough as back-up IMO.

1 minute ago, Traf said:

Anybody think Crawford might be worth another go?
Also be interesting to see how Politic gets on.

Crawford was fckd off by Doncaster. We signed him when Chino swept up a squad in a weekend. He was a revelation ... how could this guy have been available ?

The injury ended his season. We were all delighted when Evatt signed him as almost his first act.

He was then incredibly ordinary despite several opportunities. Wasteful andc ess urgent than we had a right to expect.

We loaned him to a major competitor. Hill obviously remembered thecgood version & maybe they had a good bond. Fortunately he was as unimpressive there as he'd been with us.

Did he ever, really, recover from his injury ... mentally, let alone physically. I hope so. I'd love him to return to his original form. I just doubt it & he's well & truly been overtaken.

16 minutes ago, Traf said:

Not particularly.  He was shite for us this season and shite for Tranmere on the few occasions I watched them.

• Members

Crawford, no. One of the most frustrating wanderers players I’ve seen in years. Took forever to make his mind up and when he did it was shit. 

Politic I’m looking forward to seeing 

• Site Supporter

I reckon Delaney will only have been offered 1 year or had an option triggered.

Gives Brockbank and Edwards time to get up to speed as centre halves while providing back up.

We can get away with Delaney. We’ll be getting plenty of new players in anyway, at least it keeps plenty of this seasons squad together.

34 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Crawford, no. One of the most frustrating wanderers players I’ve seen in years. Took forever to make his mind up and when he did it was shit. 

Politic I’m looking forward to seeing 

If anyone comes in for Crawford, he's gone. Thankfully.

1 hour ago, Traf said:

Yes I do. 

Happy with all that’s been announced. He knows what he’s doing. Hopefully club can just get on with it.