Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Retained List

Freddie Hill

Not convinced Edwards will be good enough. Don’t get me wrong, he impressed me in 19/20 and has been unlucky with injuries. 

He’s 25 this year though. Got a deal until next summer off the back of the season he looked promising, but was part of a depleted squad.

I’d expect to see him on the release list if his contract was up this summer. 

• Site Supporter
21 hours ago, Arrested development said:

Hopefully Delaney doesn't agree a deal because he would get embarrassed at this level. Greenidge is another who hopefully will be 5th choice and doesn't see the field. 

Ronan Darcy couldn't get In the team last season. He's shite. Built like a 12 year old. He's not getting in this team. 

Another Alan Ball?

On 19/05/2021 at 21:42, Arrested development said:

Ronan Darcy couldn't get In the team last season. He's shite. Built like a 12 year old. He's not getting in this team. 

Crikey. There'll be a couple on here after your head for a comment like that.

I can see Evatts trait of thought. He is stuck with the Greenidge, Comley and Crawford sort of players so he has budgeted for those next season in a worse case scenario he cannot move them on. If he cannot they will play the Papa John, EFL cup etc. One or two will Occasionally get on the bench when we are hit by injuries.

The next set of players which include Tutte, Delaney, Brockbank etc will also play in the cup games and be on the bench more frequently but never considered for the first team unless we have numerous out with injuries. These are proberbly players who train hard and dont go knocking Evatts door down when they are not selected. They will be offered roughly the same terms they are on now. So that will leave him with about 10 places to fill on decent wages who will make up the first team squad

On 19/05/2021 at 21:23, tomski said:

Yes I do. 

Happy with all that’s been announced. He knows what he’s doing. Hopefully club can just get on with it.

Makes a change to have a retained list rather than having to re-invent the wheel every August

1 hour ago, masi 51 said:

I can see Evatts trait of thought. He is stuck with the Greenidge, Comley and Crawford sort of players so he has budgeted for those next season in a worse case scenario he cannot move them on. If he cannot they will play the Papa John, EFL cup etc. One or two will Occasionally get on the bench when we are hit by injuries.

The next set of players which include Tutte, Delaney, Brockbank etc will also play in the cup games and be on the bench more frequently but never considered for the first team unless we have numerous out with injuries. These are proberbly players who train hard and dont go knocking Evatts door down when they are not selected. They will be offered roughly the same terms they are on now. So that will leave him with about 10 places to fill on decent wages who will make up the first team squad

Agree with you on this I do think though he will try and loan out a couple as well namely Comley, Gordon and a couple of younger players.

As for Greenidge I really dont see what he will bring to the team he cant take a throw in.

8 minutes ago, Rizlar said:

As for Greenidge I really dont see what he will bring to the team he cant take a throw in.

How, on God's little green Earth has a footballer got to that state ? Not once, but routinely. Not a centre forward or centre half, but a full back ?

I suspect these fringe squad members, if they won't move on, will not be given a playing number. Evatt can't waste his limites squad places on players he won't play.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

How, on God's little green Earth has a footballer got to that state ? Not once, but routinely. Not a centre forward or centre half, but a full back ?

I suspect these fringe squad members, if they won't move on, will not be given a playing number. Evatt can't waste his limites squad places on players he won't play.

In a very early iFollow game Greenidge had been up the pitch in an attacking position when the opposition broke, having won the ball from him. Greenidge was seen jogging back! Not busting a gut and just looking as though he wasn’t arsed. From that moment I knew he wasn’t a player I’d be looking forwards to seeing play for us.

Edited by MickyD
Missed a word

On 19/05/2021 at 21:42, Arrested development said:

That's right. Let's fill the team with big strong players like Delf.

So we hope that we get some one like Arthur in who could play on a muddy pitch at the likes of Mansfield.

On 21/05/2021 at 10:24, passmosster said:

That's right. Let's fill the team with big strong players like Delf.

So we hope that we get some one like Arthur in who could play on a muddy pitch at the likes of Mansfield.

If your going to be small like Darcy you need to be quick to compensate. He's not quick. He's technically ok but nowhere near the standard some in here make him out to be. If he's that good why couldn't he break into a league 2 team ?

Evatt brought Thomasson in the fold so it's not like he wouldn't give Darcy a chance if he was showing enough. He's just not very good. 

1 hour ago, Arrested development said:

Evatt brought Thomasson in the fold so it's not like he wouldn't give Darcy a chance if he was showing enough. He's just not very good. 

The Darcy fan boys seem to constantly overlook this.

Darcy will go on loan to L2 or even lower next season and he'll have until Christmas to have shown something.
Otherwise, he's done at Bolton.

PS I concede that pre-Christmas you could have made a case for him getting a game or so, as he couldn't have been much worse than the others, but over the last 30 games, does anyone think he would have contributed more than...
Williams
Lee
Isgrove
Sarcevic
Thomason
...to name just 5?  

I'm a bit biased the other way, if truth be told.
Our Academy or whatever has been shit for years.

I don't rate Darcy, didn't think Connell or Clough were that good either and none have done anything of note yet.
Josh Vela is a clogger and Rob Holding isn't as good as Bolton fans make out. Yes, he's too good for us now, but he has only developed after leaving.

We'd be as well closing the doors and picking up the kids released by City, United, Liverpool, Everton etc at 16-19 yrs old, for what the returns from the Academy have been based upon what it has cost to run.

Jimmy Phillips is a dreadful coach and he told his own son to turn down any contract from the club even before one was put together.

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

Same here, I was clamouring for him to be played earlier in the season when we were doing shite, unfortunately for him he couldn't get in a matchday squad the last 20 games and rightly so.

Although I do think he is a good little player, I just don't think Evatt fully trusts or fancies him.

To be resumed next season.

The fact that IE said earlier in the season he was part of his plans suggests to me he thinks there is a player in there. Maybe he's spent the season bulking up a bit- I think of McAteer when he couldn't get in Marine's first team, he turned out decent enough.

Time yet.

• Site Supporter
18 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

The cross Darcy put in for Sarce's late equaliser against Barrow was better than anything Isgrove's put in, for what that's worth.

I saw enough from him in Hill's season to make me think he's got something about him.

Aye alreet.... 

• Site Supporter
20 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

The cross Darcy put in for Sarce's late equaliser against Barrow was better than anything Isgrove's put in, for what that's worth.

I saw enough from him in Hill's season to make me think he's got something about him.

I think he plays with his head up and has some undoubted ability. Whether his physicality is a limiting factor is to be seen- it was this season but IE intimated the lad may yet come to the fore.

He may thrive amongst better players, but equally, if he's too easily eased off the ball and can't impose himself then it won't happen for him.

3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I think he plays with his head up and has some undoubted ability. Whether his physicality is a limiting factor is to be seen- it was this season but IE intimated the lad may yet come to the fore.

He may thrive amongst better players, but equally, if he's too easily eased off the ball and can't impose himself then it won't happen for him.

If he couldn't get a sniff at L2, even when we were shit, he's not getting near the L1 team, which goes back to my suggestion that he needs to go on loan until January to prove he's got something.

• Site Supporter
Just now, Traf said:

If he couldn't get a sniff at L2, even when we were shit, he's not getting near the L1 team, which goes back to my suggestion that he needs to go on loan until January to prove he's got something.

He might do. But Evatt could have done that in January, and didn't. Wanted to keep him which makes me think he wanted him around the squad, training and learning.

Fwiw, he did play a bit when we were shit, though not a lot. I remember Beckham et al playing for their reserves in a 3-1 defeat at Burnden. Weren't properly ready, but it was clear from the way they played that good things could happen.

IE also said the physicality of league 2 wasn't right for the lad, perhaps a bit odd on the face of it, but not a reason the dismiss him.

We'll get a better idea come pre season.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Aye alreet.... 

19 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

🙄

If you reckon one decent cross outweighs what Isgrove contributed on the run in then you are either a family member or you are receiving his member 😁

18 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

He could definitely do with bulking up if he's to have a chance of making it. The season before last, he was a liability behind the halfway line. It was when playing in the opposition half he showed potential.

• Site Supporter
20 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

One cross??? 

I once saw Gudni score from near the halfway line, never saw Shearer do that.... I wonder why Man U didnt sign Bergsson as a striker? 😁