Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Zach Clough

Mounts Kipper

• Members
9 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Just had a look at Zach Clough’s wiki page. He went to Forest for “an undisclosed fee” but then it goes on to say it was close to £3million. Three Million Pounds... no wonder Sweaty Ken wanted him away.

He got £6m for Madine.

S I X

£6,000,000. 

For Gary Madine. Wowzers

7 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’d be happy for him to train with us, trust Evatt to make the call on whether he’s up to it or not. 

Fully on board with this. Give him a chance and see what IE makes of him. There's obviously talent there and if Evatt can see it and draw it out of him then we'll have a good player on board for hopefully low cost.

• Site Supporter
43 minutes ago, deane koontz said:

Why do we think it went tits up for him?

Didn't want to leave in the first place: but had no option to sell (supposedly).

Must be gutting to be essentially made to go somewhere that you don't want to. Iirc, did ok initially for forest, but maybe his heart just wasn't in it and the novelty wore off.

I don't buy this "not many appearances in recent years" bit- could equally say he's relatively fresh!

All down to whether any manager (not just IE) believes he's worth looking at.

44 minutes ago, deane koontz said:

Why do we think it went tits up for him?

It went very well at Forest in the first 6 months. Fans there were most impressed. Then the manager left & they went through 2 or 3 in quick time. He didn't fit these new manager's plans & he was left to rot.

Add a couple of knocks.

I guess different people react in different ways but he didn't kick off, trained professionally but faded out of view. He was traing with the kids eventually ... mostly considerably bigger than him.

I do wonder if he stopped being 'hungry'. Apparently his signing on fee & wages were very considerable. 

15 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

He’ll end up at Salford

Nailed on!

If he'd stayed with us and got regular football he might have been going somewhere but that move to Forest really hindered his progress. Looks a good deal in hindsight now getting 2 million for him was it? 6 million for Madine?

Shame Ken probably took a big slice of the commission for those.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, MickyD said:

Just had a look at Zach Clough’s wiki page. He went to Forest for “an undisclosed fee” but then it goes on to say it was close to £3million. Three Million Pounds... no wonder Sweaty Ken wanted him away.

he had consultancy fees to think about

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

It went very well at Forest in the first 6 months. Fans there were most impressed. Then the manager left & they went through 2 or 3 in quick time. He didn't fit these new manager's plans & he was left to rot.

Add a couple of knocks.

I guess different people react in different ways but he didn't kick off, trained professionally but faded out of view. He was traing with the kids eventually ... mostly considerably bigger than him.

I do wonder if he stopped being 'hungry'. Apparently his signing on fee & wages were very considerable. 

He did very well out of the deal

And still he didn't want to go

Are we gonna keep doing this every other season when he’s released by his next club?

Hes not good enough for anything higher than League 2 at absolute best. 

Too lightweight and not fast enough to deal with being 3 stone and 5ft tall. 

Sounds like he’s a decent lad but if he wasn’t from Bolton nobody would be batting an eyelid. 

He will end up at Chorley.

1 minute ago, gonzo said:

Are we gonna keep doing this every other season when he’s released by his next club?

Of course

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Sounds like he’s a decent lad but if he wasn’t from Bolton nobody would be batting an eyelid. 

But we have seen he is able to cope in a higher division than league 2. Agree that if he wasn't from Bolton we wouldn't have a thread on him, but he still had something about him when he was with us. Getting sold when he didn't really want to leave obviously effected him, and it hasn't worked out since. But with the right environment and making him happy could see a return to the form that we saw when he broke into the team.

But it is IE and FV decision and I fully trust their decision on who we need to sign, and I don't think sentiment will come into it. 

19 hours ago, MickyD said:

A slanted look back. Also crafty ken negotiated the fee down to get quicker payments for himself. 

On the face of it I'd say no, we need to move on.

... BUT ... if IE was to want to have a look at him on trial then I'd completely trust him to make the right call and if he was to re-sign for us I'd be confident he could do a job for us again.

4 hours ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

Getting sold when he didn't really want to leave obviously effected him

Fuckin ell he’s had 4 years to get over it. He didn’t lose a family member ffs.

If you can’t get your head straight playing for a European Cup winning club like forest then you’ve no chance elsewhere. 

Id rather is go after ALF if we are going down the sentimental bollocks route.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Fuckin ell he’s had 4 years to get over it. He didn’t lose a family member ffs.

If you can’t get your head straight playing for a European Cup winning club like forest then you’ve no chance elsewhere. 

Id rather is go after ALF if we are going down the sentimental bollocks route.

They're weren't in the European Cup though!

Kinell, we've been in Europe more recently, so perhaps he felt we were a better bet?

None of that is really relevant though; lad was made the club's saviour far too soon- on the pitch then financially when sold. Who knows what it did mentally- we've just seen one of ours quit professional football, so wouldn't want to make judgements on him.

Of course sentiment comes into it- but that is because of what he did, and in our current league and the one above. 

At the same time no one has claimed we should just sign him, but entrust IE to do what's right by the club- if therefore he chose to look at the player, then fine. If not, no problem. 

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, gonzo said:

sad but true

On 27/05/2021 at 09:01, Eddie said:

There’s a player in there somewhere, we’ve all seen it. I can’t imagine his confidence is up to much at the moment and sometimes it just clicks at some clubs.

He’s the one ex player that I’d be keen to see us interested in - as others have said, get him in training and trust Evatt to make the judgement. He’s got a lot to prove and if we get the proper Zach Clough back then we know how good he is in this league.

Sentiment involved - definitely, but I do think there is a rationale to at least giving him a go as well.

This is my view exactly. Spot on.