Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Boo Boys

Dimron

3 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

I think you’re either fighting against inequality, injustice etc, or not.

If you are picking and choosing, then don’t be surprised if folks level an accusation of hypocrisy.

What happened to Not in Crawley, BTW?

But to say one action is direct hypocrisy to the other is plain daft, given the overall context of the game - you either opt out of the structures altogether or you can try and work within them, that is a choice and shouldn't lead to a accusation of hypocrisy if someone doesn't want to give up doing something they love and shouldn't be stopped doing just because they have a certain view.

Just couldn't log on - kept sending me round in a loop so just created a new account.

4 minutes ago, NiC said:

Just couldn't log on - kept sending me round in a loop so just created a new account.

Bugger, that was a pint wasted on Happy.

😇

• Moderators

if people think it's a political statement, they need to remind themselves it's not

ok, so it all blew up with GF and the subsequent BLM mindset that evolved into a movement which involved anarchy

but

folk were kneeling before all that happened in the the US/NFL

if GF / BLM hadn't happened, and footballers decided that, like their NFL counterparts, that in the face of increasing racism via social media they were to take the knee before games, would that it be acceptable to those that don't like it?

it's not too late to de-tach the knee from the BLM political group

or as has been said already

if they come out now and say "ok, no more knee, from here on in, we'll all stand in a circle, hold hands, sit down, then stand up again, as an anti-racsim gesture that is in no way poltical - would that be better?

that's a question to anyone who doesn't like it and/or will boo it

1 hour ago, boltondiver said:

Bugger, that was a pint wasted on Happy.

😇

Awww, nah - I'm still here to tap you on the shoulder, question your points - lets not turn this into a echo chamber.

1 hour ago, Mr Grey said:

Ffs! From the bloke who brought it up in the first place, I just added the able bodied and straight bit for good measure 🤷

But that wasn't the point, was it now?

23 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

To me this debate here and now revolves the England football team and this tournament.

Q: Do you want England to have the best chance of winning this tournament, and would you say they would have a better chance without any political distractions ?

Also what will be the excuses if they don't perform well in this tournament, they certainly will have an excuse if fans carry on booing and I don't want them to have that excuse, I prefer the "not good, overpaid shower of shite" excuse.

I take your points on board and they carry some weight, but even you must admit that this is doing football more harm than good, there as to be other ways of tackling racism and inequality within football that doesn't impact politically on the game.

You might not agree with that, that's fine, but please don't bring the middle aged white man crap in to this, hence one of and part of the reason some fans are booing.

Its not middle aged, white crap though is it? I was saying I haven't got a clue what its like to be a Black British man, and if someone who is wants to use a platform they have through their own talent about an issue they feel is relevant I don't think I should be stopping them , and yes I understand my privilege, from my skin colour to the luck of the family I was born into. Everyone has personal issues but society isn't stacked against me, I've had more opportunities than 90% of people, and if someone is saying they are profiled or abused because of their background, I feel it's only right I should listen to that view, a view I have literally no first hand experience of.

So, if someone wants to take a knee to say, yes I believe racism in society is still an issue we need to look at an do something about then I have no issue at all with it.

I know you wouldn't boo, and you are pretty bloody far from being any sort of racist, and I think we can see that those that do are doing so for some other reasons, and if you don't agree, fair fucks - but just let them get on with it and support them hopefully doing something amazing over the next few weeks for this country. Lord knows, we could do with a smile being brought to our collective faces.

I also don't get this "keep politics out of football" guff.

Standing up (or kneeling) against racism isn't political.

Still, if someone would rather stand there and boo the players doing it, or indeed choose not to go to their seat until the ref's whistle has blown to signify its end then that's their choice. I've given up trying to understand that viewpoint.

• Members
39 minutes ago, DazBob said:

I also don't get this "keep politics out of football" guff.

Standing up (or kneeling) against racism isn't political.

Still, if someone would rather stand there and boo the players doing it, or indeed choose not to go to their seat until the ref's whistle has blown to signify its end then that's their choice. I've given up trying to understand that viewpoint.

Genuine question, not a justification of why it happens but is a poppy on the shirt political?

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Genuine question, not a justification of why it happens but is a poppy on the shirt political?

Certainly not.

An annual commemoration of those lost in conflict, and fund raiser for those ex soldiers requiring assistance from the Royal British Legion. 

16 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Only to those who want it to be, to suit their agenda.

It's to respect the dead and the sacrifices they made.

35 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I'd say no.

However, if someone refuses to wear one they could argue they don't want to due to political reasons.

2 hours ago, NiC said:

Its not middle aged, white crap though is it? I was saying I haven't got a clue what its like to be a Black British man, and if someone who is wants to use a platform they have through their own talent about an issue they feel is relevant I don't think I should be stopping them , and yes I understand my privilege, from my skin colour to the luck of the family I was born into. Everyone has personal issues but society isn't stacked against me, I've had more opportunities than 90% of people, and if someone is saying they are profiled or abused because of their background, I feel it's only right I should listen to that view, a view I have literally no first hand experience of.

So, if someone wants to take a knee to say, yes I believe racism in society is still an issue we need to look at an do something about then I have no issue at all with it.

I know you wouldn't boo, and you are pretty bloody far from being any sort of racist, and I think we can see that those that do are doing so for some other reasons, and if you don't agree, fair fucks - but just let them get on with it and support them hopefully doing something amazing over the next few weeks for this country. Lord knows, we could do with a smile being brought to our collective faces.

You're not privileged because of the colour of your skin. Funny that this term 'privileged' is only aimed at white people, without anyone knowing what upbringing they may have had. But that's apparently OK because they are white. Judging someone's quality of life based on the colour of their skin. Not great. 

Is society against everyone that isn't white? or is it just black people that live in the West and have been given opportunity in countries they now deem racist?

• Members
17 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Certainly not.

An annual commemoration of those lost in conflict, and fund raiser for those ex soldiers requiring assistance from the Royal British Legion. 

10 minutes ago, Traf said:

Only to those who want it to be, to suit their agenda.

It's to respect the dead and the sacrifices they made.

Which I wholeheartedly support, but if I’m not mistaken black soldiers served, as well as wind rush as a result of WW2, so we honour the dead because they died for our freedom and rightly so but people decide that this is enough and we should just get on it.

Now before anyone jumps on it and says they’re not the same yes I understand that and not trying to say they are, my point is black players are targeted for abuse because of the colour of their skin but they should just have to get on with it.

They want equality and are making a peaceful protest to highlight the problem so why does that not get the respect across the board , why do the players not get the respect? Why are they told to get on with it, tired of it now, just want to watch the match. 

Why is their cause for equality booed and  subject to ignorance because people are sick to death of it

You know who else are sick to death of it? Black people. 
Sick of having to defend why they fighting for a  for a cause, sick of explaining why they are still kneeling, sick of playing in a sport where they will be abused because of the colour of their skin.

Im sick to death of this subject but that doesn’t mean it will go away. 

I have children now and they’re young but I would feel sick to my stomach at them watching sport and people booing their right for equality because of the colour of their skin.

Sick of it appearing in sport. Try being sick of worrying about being abused because of the colour of your skin.

Traf TMGJ this isn’t directed at you and I hope you don’t think it is . I’ve just had enough of discussing it and trying to explain to people why kneeling is still going on. 

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Certainly not.

It's a fair bet that some of those booing players taking a knee and 'bringing politics into football', were also booing Aaron McClean for exercising his right not to wear a poppy on his shirt. 

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

It's a fair bet that some of those booing players taking a knee and 'bringing politics into football', were also booing Aaron McClean for exercising his right not to wear a poppy on his shirt. 

I wouldn't need an excuse to boo that cunt. 

12 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

That cunt wasnt just exercising his right. He turned his back on national anthem as well so gets what he deserves as far as im concerned. i will boo that cunt because hes happy to take our money then throw it back in our face. 

And normally i dont agree with having a go at anybody who doesnt want to wear a poppy/kneel or whatever. Live and let live. McLean boils my piss tho. 

44 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Which I wholeheartedly support, but if I’m not mistaken black soldiers served, as well as wind rush as a result of WW2, so we honour the dead because they died for our freedom and rightly so but people decide that this is enough and we should just get on it.

Now before anyone jumps on it and says they’re not the same yes I understand that and not trying to say they are, my point is black players are targeted for abuse because of the colour of their skin but they should just have to get on with it.

They want equality and are making a peaceful protest to highlight the problem so why does that not get the respect across the board , why do the players not get the respect? Why are they told to get on with it, tired of it now, just want to watch the match. 

Why is their cause for equality booed and  subject to ignorance because people are sick to death of it

Sick of having to defend why they fighting for a  for a cause, sick of explaining why they are still kneeling, sick of playing in a sport where they will be abused because of the colour of their skin.

I have children now and they’re young but I would feel sick to my stomach at them watching sport and people booing their right for equality because of the colour of their skin.

Sick of it appearing in sport. Try being sick of worrying about being abused because of the colour of your skin.

Traf TMGJ this isn’t directed at you and I hope you don’t think it is . I’ve just had enough of discussing it and trying to explain to people why kneeling is still going on. 

IMO Black players are targeted because they are good at football and rival fans call their opponents. Bald, red headed, gay looking and people like Peter Crouch also get targeted. Probably easy for me to say because I am white but negative comments about someone’s colour of the skin shouldn’t bother them because they do ok with the opposite sex and have the same opportunity in life. BLM has done more harm than good and we need to respect each other as human beings and just get on

55 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Beautifully put.

... and then I read RUR2R's post and wonder why you bothered. (Apart from his last thirteen words)

Edited by DazBob

8 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

So what is so wrong with what I posted? 

This little beauty was a particular highlight

"negative comments about someone’s colour of the skin shouldn’t bother them because they do ok with the opposite sex"

... and in answer to your question, yes, of course as a white man you can have an opinion. Anyone and everyone can, but if you put it out there don't get too upset if others disagree with it.

Edited by DazBob

1 minute ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Which, in delicious irony, sums up this thread like the edgiest of two-edged swords.

Oh, I get that there are plenty who don't agree with my view on it. I've no issue with that.

Whilst I don't understand or respect their viewpoint, I respect their right to have it.

2 hours ago, wanderer1984 said:

You're not privileged because of the colour of your skin. Funny that this term 'privileged' is only aimed at white people, without anyone knowing what upbringing they may have had. But that's apparently OK because they are white. Judging someone's quality of life based on the colour of their skin. Not great. 

Is society against everyone that isn't white? or is it just black people that live in the West and have been given opportunity in countries they now deem racist?

I suggest some reading around and on the subject before you post as that's one of the most naive things I've seen on here.