Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Boo Boys

Dimron

2 hours ago, paulhanley said:

"Torrents" of racial abuse? I can perhaps think of two occasions in the last decade when I heard a racist remark at the football - always from one person, not a group, not a song. We've seen isolated examples of players reporting hearing racist remarks from fans and there's generally a police investigation. The culprit is often found and dealt with under the law.

I'm sure there's more on social media. Twitter especially is a horrible bear-pit. We know that Saka and Rashford had some after the Euro final v Italy. I'm not denying that. 

Torrents though? There were certainly torrents from the Manny Road North terrace in the 80s towards opposition black players. I remember a banana being chucked on to the pitch from the Burnden Paddock to a Blackpool player called Morgan who was black. There's nothing remotely close to that these days. Why therefore do you use the word "torrents"? What's the agenda behind using a word like that? 

Not denying things have got better in the stands and in wider society. 

After the penalty shoot out there were thousands of racist comments directed at our players.

Some people seem to think it's fine to separate social media from it all and see it as less of a problem because it's online or assume it is done by mainly by trolls. When some IT lads investigated independently they found that many of these racists were identifiable. Social media and the police are actually doing very little and most get away with it with no police investigation. It's a weekly occurrence for lots of players.

I don't have an agenda with the word torrent, maybe it is an overstatement, but when you're subjected to it every week I can see how it would feel like a torrent. 

I'll keep this really really simple. I need a really good reason to boo my own team's players, main reason being it flies in the face of why I am there, I consider myself a SUPPORTER not a SPECTATOR. 

'Taking the knee' is not a good reason to take against my own team's players no matter what my own views on it are. 

Personally I find it difficult to understand that someone's politics would get in the way of their support of their club and the players that represent it. 

5 minutes ago, RoadRunnerFan said:

I'll keep this really really simple. I need a really good reason to boo my own team's players, main reason being it flies in the face of why I am there, I consider myself a SUPPORTER not a SPECTATOR. 

'Taking the knee' is not a good reason to take against my own team's players no matter what my own views on it are. 

Personally I find it difficult to understand that someone's politics would get in the way of their support of their club and the players that represent it. 

I agree. This was the first game of the season after promotion with a really good atmosphere and feeling together as a club for the first time in years. Anyone booing our players is an imbecile.

10 hours ago, London Wanderer said:

Not denying things have got better in the stands and in wider society. 

After the penalty shoot out there were thousands of racist comments directed at our players.

Some people seem to think it's fine to separate social media from it all and see it as less of a problem because it's online or assume it is done by mainly by trolls. When some IT lads investigated independently they found that many of these racists were identifiable. Social media and the police are actually doing very little and most get away with it with no police investigation. It's a weekly occurrence for lots of players.

I don't have an agenda with the word torrent, maybe it is an overstatement, but when you're subjected to it every week I can see how it would feel like a torrent. 

The problem is there are now people who are so entwined in the culture of identity politics that nothing is ever going to be enough. If there is no problem then wokery loses its reason for being. Therefore in the eyes of the woke there will always be racism in football regardless of how much is done - and any problem will be exaggerated out of proportion. There's nothing rational about fundamentalism - especially woke fundamentalism.

I shan't be sharing in any of their campaigns or gestures. However if I hear anyone saying racist stuff at the match or on social media I would say something there and then or report it in to the authorities, which I would view as a civic duty rather than an opportunity to score political points and/or lecture and hector other people on the wider subject.

2 hours ago, JimmyRiddle said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-58094408

Not according to this, 34 in the UK and 123 overseas?? 

Those numbers don't really put it into context. It's all based on what has been reported to the cops. Earlier in the article it says they received 600 reports from social media of racist comments. The police only investigated a fraction of them that they said breached the communications act. 

A separate investigation by some IT nerds asked people to report every tweet to them. They received over 6000 reports and managed to identify over 1000 just in a nights work.

I feel for the police, they're stretched and it takes a lot of work. But with the money made by social media and PL, you think they'd be able to do a bit more. Especially if a few IT geeks can do that overnight.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Earlier in the article it says they received 600 reports from social media of racist comments.

Part of the issue here is when the social media posts aren’t actually racist even though on the multiple choice selection when reporting a post “reason for reporting x racist or hate speech” was possibly used. So which one? Racism or hate?

”Fucking hell, Rashford, you cunt!” whilst not nice, is also not racist.

1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

The problem is there are now people who are so entwined in the culture of identity politics that nothing is ever going to be enough. If there is no problem then wokery loses its reason for being. Therefore in the eyes of the woke there will always be racism in football regardless of how much is done - and any problem will be exaggerated out of proportion. There's nothing rational about fundamentalism - especially woke fundamentalism.

I shan't be sharing in any of their campaigns or gestures. However if I hear anyone saying racist stuff at the match or on social media I would say something there and then or report it in to the authorities, which I would view as a civic duty rather than an opportunity to score political points and/or lecture and hector other people on the wider subject.

I agree with your opening points in relation to other issues. But just don't see this taking the knee as wokery or exaggerating the problem. That was obvious to many after the final. Even more important that they did it at the Euros. Some of those countries can be awful places for Black players to play in. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Some of those countries can be awful places for Black players to play in. 

They won’t be in future though because footballers are taking a knee.

Sorry, nothing changes. Not a single racist will stop being racist because a footballer knelt down for between 5 and 10 seconds.

2 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Nerds? Geeks?

You're an Anti-ITite.

I have a mate who works in IT, his bird is a tall blonde 15 years his junior, he drinks like Princess Margaret and takes more drugs than Keith Moon.

It's YOU who's discriminatory.

Shameful.

Spot on Youri 😆

I would like to apologise to the IT community. 

1 minute ago, MickyD said:

They won’t be in future though because footballers are taking a knee.

Sorry, nothing changes. Not a single racist will stop being racist because a footballer knelt down for between 5 and 10 seconds.

Of course they won't. Who has ever suggested they would? It's not the point.

Homophobes also won't change their views if they see a pride flag.

The point is that it raises awareness and asks for more to be done. Social media can do more, UEFA can do more. Rather than blanket bans for life, we could educate younger folk who are caught on the issue. All suggestions but the action starts the conversation. 

4 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Part of the issue here is when the social media posts aren’t actually racist even though on the multiple choice selection when reporting a post “reason for reporting x racist or hate speech” was possibly used. So which one? Racism or hate?

”Fucking hell, Rashford, you cunt!” whilst not nice, is also not racist.

Agree MickyD. Abuse to someone missing a penalty isn’t in itself racist. It then could also depend on how sensitive the receiver is to the message. If it had been X you black cunt or X you Welsh cunt, you Geordie C, you Scouse C and so on, are all of these racist or just descriptive and which would be reported by the receiver as racist? Are we being just a bit too sensitive these days? My dads an old Scottish cunt but if I told him he wouldn’t consider me ageist or racist, just think that I’m a twat. I’m not belittling what some black people have put up with but we live in an impolite society I’m afraid where we all get abused at times. Can we change society back to where we think it should be? Maybe, but I think it will take more than just gestures.

Just now, Youri McAnespie said:

Jesus wept, we're back to equating calling someone a jock tosser with the vilest racist abuses.

You sicken me.

You see, it’s impossible to have a sensible conversation about anything because we have twats like you trying to inflate all the time. Maybe that’s why we never get anywhere on curing racism?

• Members
1 minute ago, SirNatsDog said:

You see, it’s impossible to have a sensible conversation about anything because we have twats like you trying to inflate all the time. Maybe that’s why we never get anywhere on curing racism?

You’re not gonna last long around here calling everyone a twat in the first post someone disagrees with you 

6 minutes ago, SirNatsDog said:

Ok let's start on curing racism, if someone misses a penalty do not call them a black cunt. 

Unless it is from a place of love 

https://youtu.be/M1WzR0eke_8

13 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

@SirNatsDog

Last week Rudy was a twat, today me.

Think on who you bandy that word to.

Fucking spunkbubble.

You're either a fucking kid or some past-it owd cunt.

Well if you’re going to act and post like twats, don’t expect not to be called out as one. Now run home to mummy you sensitive little tit.

My mam's been in Astley Bridge Cemetery since 2003 you prick.

You're barking reet up the wrong trees you know.

If you're some young shit for brains then most of us have been on this site longer than your life.

If you're some sad old twat who thinks he's still handy we've all been here longer than you've probably got left on this mortal coil.

Now fuck off and don't bother me again.

I think it was you who bothered me sunshine with your abusive response to a perfectly reasonable post. Sorry about your mum, genuinely but if you criticise and use industrial language to posters, don’t expect not to receive the same back. We may view things differently but there’s no need to get abusive.

• Members
1 minute ago, SirNatsDog said:

I think it was you who bothered me sunshine with your abusive response to a perfectly reasonable post. Sorry about your mum, genuinely but if you criticise and use industrial language to posters, don’t expect not to receive the same back. We may view things differently but there’s no need to get abusive.

You don’t half resemble someone who @Carlos booted off here not that long ago