Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England

desperado

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

This definite?

Good to see Saka given a go, but would have liked to have seen a different midfield set up.

I hope Saka is given the left hand side to run at defenders and get the ball across.

The mount/Chilwell situation seems ridiculous; they interact with a player for a few seconds and are sitting out. 

The sweaty players, who have shared a changing room, trained with and played alongside gilmour dont have to.

I don't know if this is just over caution in the England camp, to protect the rest of the team - just in case, or whether its a perverse aspect of the covid security plans that football and the tournament insist on.

The Sweatys are all isolating after tonight anyway 😂

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, waffer cup 07 said:

3 poor performances for me. 

In that case taking 7/9 points and conceding no goals is pretty impressive for a team that’s not hit its heights. And I’m sure there wouldn’t have been many who would have moaned about getting that at the start.

Let’s be honest there was fuck all to play for tonight as a team. Both teams already qualified, no insentive for winning the group. 

Make sure players don’t get injured and rest those on yellows. Job done.

Big games to come

I remember when Germany used to 0-0, or 1-0 their way to winning major tournaments, rarely exciting - but always highly effective. When Greece won the Euros in ‘04 they were the most boring team in the competition and didn’t win a game by more than a single goal and not forgetting Portugal, who won the last Euro’s without winning a group game. Gung - ho teams very rarely win major tournaments. I’d love us to smash everyone 5-0, but winning ugly can and does win tournaments.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

13 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I remember when Germany used to 0-0, or 1-0 their way to winning major tournaments, rarely exciting - but always highly effective. When Greece won the Euros in ‘04 they were the most boring team in the competition and didn’t win a game by more than a single goal and not forgetting Portugal, who won the last Euro’s without winning a group game. Gung - ho teams very rarely win major tournaments. I’d love us to smash everyone 5-0, but winning ugly can and does win tournaments.

So it's coming home then? 

Fantastic 

14 hours ago, Zico said:

Pragmatic 

If Megson did Euros

Can't be as I enjoyed last night even though we were a bit biz 2nd half!

Good to see Radcliffe & Junior at HT too

We've still not conceded; that's what good tournament teams can be built on. You never know! My biggest concern is he probably still has no idea of his best 11

15 hours ago, Rudy said:

Teams grow into tournaments 

3 clean sheets, 7 points, plenty of depth, different gears

Foundations to build, week off now 

So you reckon we can see off France, Germany or Portugal next week ?

Or, should we manage that, add Belgium or Holland to that list ?

He's played 2 DM's against teams that didn't warrant it.

I'll grant them the first 15 minutes were good, the following 30, OK, but the 2nd half was turgid.

• Members
2 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

So you reckon we can see off France, Germany or Portugal next week ?

Or, should we manage that, add Belgium or Holland to that list ?

He's played 2 DM's against teams that didn't warrant it.

I'll grant them the first 15 minutes were good, the following 30, OK, but the 2nd half was turgid.

What you mean didn’t warrant it, clean sheets and being hard To best is key, would you rather ship in 3 and teams figure out how to beat us?