Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England

desperado

Southgate out. Been so good up to now and bottled it when the opportunity was there. Well done Italy, they wanted it far more than we did after the first half. Rashford wants locking up for that pathetic attempt. If you’re going to try fancy Dan stuff, at least make sure you hit the bloody target and what’s all this start and stop nonsense he and Sancho did? Just pick a spot and put your foot through it like the Italians did.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, SirNatsDog said:

Southgate out. Been so good up to now and bottled it when the opportunity was there. Well done Italy, they wanted it far more than we did after the first half. Rashford wants locking up for that pathetic attempt. If you’re going to try fancy Dan stuff, at least make sure you hit the bloody target and what’s all this start and stop nonsense he and Sancho did? Just pick a spot and put your foot through it like the Italians did.

Poor penalties aren't Southgate's fault. 

Calling for his head is bollocks.

7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Poor penalties aren't Southgate's fault. 

Calling for his head is bollocks.

Only joking Jacket, he’s done brilliant during the tournament but I do think he got lots wrong tonight. As for the pens, why on earth do they try to be fancy when just picking a spot and putting your foot through it as The two Harry’s did gave the keeper no chance? Ah well, great performance from the team up to tonight and both they and Gareth can learn from this for the coming World Cup.

14 minutes ago, SirNatsDog said:

Piss off and do your booing elsewhere

16 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Ah well.

Disappointing, but we seemed to sit back part way through the first half and only played a little in extra time. 

Penalties are always a lottery, but there were 3 quite poor ones. Not sure Sancho had kicked the ball, and Rashford made one tackle.

Almost a carbon copy of Croatia in 2018.

Disappointing, but hopefully forgotten & forgiven by the time the WC is over next year.

Did really well all in all , albeit it was basically a home tournament .But for the first half tonight  we made a very good and wily Italian team look very ordinary , but they showed all their experience in the 2nd half and we were probably fortunate to get to extra time level . I said to my Missus before the pens that our body language looked beaten before 1 was taken . 2 shit penalties did for us but how wise it was in hindsight to bring on 2 lads who hadn't kicked a ball all night will need to be answered. what a man mountain the keeper was though., reminiscent of David James filling the goal in the Villa semi final. Hopefully we carry on improving for the world cup.

A good effort lads and kept our household and the nation buzzing for a few weeks.

Edited by dusan nikolic

Great overall when things have calmed down & it can be seen for what it is. However, on the night Mancini outthought Southgate, the wily old heads of the Italian team outplayed & outfouled England.

That we got to penalties at all was fortunate

Had we won it would have been against the run of play.

But ... those penalties. I fckg refuse to accept stuttery run-ups to penalties. If I was manager I'd utterly ban it.
Choose where you're going to hit it, do not change your mind, hit the fckg thing. End of.
Top corner, either side ... on target. Goal. See McGuires THAT is a fckg penalty. 

They can coach that, practice that.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Great overall when things have calmed down & it can be seen for what it is. However, on the night Mancini outthought Southgate, the wily old heads of the Italian team outplayed & outfouled England.

That we got to penalties at all was fortunate

Had we won it would have been against the run of play.

But ... those penalties. I fckg refuse to accept stuttery run-ups to penalties. If I was manager I'd utterly ban it.
Choose where you're going to hit it, do not change your mind, hit the fckg thing. End of.
Top corner, either side ... on target. Goal. See McGuires THAT is a fckg penalty. 

They can coach that, practice that.

I think Ray Stewart, West Ham's penalty expert said " hit em hard enough and they should go in " . The run up bollocks grates more than the actual miss .

1 minute ago, dusan nikolic said:

I think Ray Stewart, West Ham's penalty expert said " hit em hard enough and they should go in " . The run up bollocks grates more than the actual miss .

Frannie Lee said to me at a school match "Don't change your mind & hit it hard". Served me well.

Southgate apparently chose the penalty takers based on players performances in training. Bollocks to that, choose the lads who step forward in the night who are up for it. There was a sort of inevitibilty with the penalties. Sako never looked confident with his pen and Rash/Sancho’s were just lame. Gareth got it wrong on the night unfortunately and was outthought by Mancini. Kane should have been subbed on the hour after a poor performance and a fairly shit tornament , we needed fresh energy and Sterling was fairly ineffective throughout the game. Our “big players” just didn’t turn up.

I received a text after about an hour. It said "Use your subs Southgate. Bring Sterling & Kane on".

They barely showed. Now, maybe that was the defenders quality but that's why changes were needed. 

I won't, long term, be downhearted. But right now, that performance after 30m was poor.

6 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

I received a text after about an hour. It said "Use your subs Southgate. Bring Sterling & Kane on".

They barely showed. Now, maybe that was the defenders quality but that's why changes were needed. 

I won't, long term, be downhearted. But right now, that performance after 30m was poor.

In order to beat Italy we needed all 11 players to be on top of their games, but a couple of our key players just didn’t turn up on the night.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, ZiggyStardust said:

Almost a carbon copy of Croatia in 2018.

Disappointing, but hopefully forgotten & forgiven by the time the WC is over next year.

Already forgiven by me. This tournament has given my lad a passion for football, and he's chomping at the bit for me to take him to watch Bolton. Been trying to get him into it for a couple of years now, but it's never stuck. It has now. Gutted for him more than anything. Proud as fuck.