England @ 9/1
Belgium @ 10/1
Spain @ 10/1
Italy @ 10/1
Germany @ 12/1
Argentina @ 12/1
Portugal @ 14/1
Holland @ 16/1

we still have lots to do if we're to beat the best and win it, and I get France being favourites, but not Brazil - there line up in the Copa America had some average looking players in there like Richarlison, Soares and Fred

Brazil probably lazy bookies favorites due to the climate. 

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Aren’t favourites/outsiders decided based on amount of money placed on them and therefore the bookie’s risk rather than a teams likelihood of doing well?

I doubt that much money has been placed on WC Winners yet, or for the odds to change dramatically between now and then

• Members
8 minutes ago, Zico said:

I doubt that much money has been placed on WC Winners yet, or for the odds to change dramatically between now and then

Copy pasted from the last few world cups 

59 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Aren’t favourites/outsiders decided based on amount of money placed on them and therefore the bookie’s risk rather than a teams likelihood of doing well?

Yes, once things get closer. It's more on the balance of risk to the bookies that likelyhood of outcome.

• Site Supporter
58 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Yes, once things get closer. It's more on the balance of risk to the bookies that likelyhood of outcome.

So on the grounds that more folk will have a cheeky few quid on England than will bet as an investment on one of the favourites England’s odds will probably stay short?

7 hours ago, Zico said:

they probably aren't even English, no such problems here

anyway

had a look at the odds for Qatar

Brazil @ 11/2
France @ 6/1
England @ 9/1
Belgium @ 10/1
Spain @ 10/1
Italy @ 10/1
Germany @ 12/1
Argentina @ 12/1
Portugal @ 14/1
Holland @ 16/1

we still have lots to do if we're to beat the best and win it, and I get France being favourites, but not Brazil - there line up in the Copa America had some average looking players in there like Richarlison, Soares and Fred

The heat will be factored in

Average high in December in Qatar is 25 degrees. With most games late afternoon and evening, hot weather will not decide the winners. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup#Schedule

First two group games kick off 1pm, 4pm, 7pm, 10pm. 

Final group games & Knockouts 6pm and 10pm.

Edited by jayjayoghani
Added wikipedia link

• Moderators

Some good points here, definitely need to maximise our attacking potential moving forward 

https://www.spiked-online.com/2021/07/12/did-lockdown-football-cost-england-the-euros/

Did ‘Lockdown Football’ cost England the Euros?

Are we allowed to be honest about the failings of Gareth Southgate’s soulless, safety-first strategy?

1 hour ago, Zico said:

Are we allowed to be honest about the failings of Gareth Southgate’s soulless, safety-first strategy?

I assume he rushed that off to print as Saka's penalty was saved. His end remarks about the irreverent fans being the true spirit etc., etc., appear rather off colour (no pun intended) now.

I'd also say that reactionary positions are balanced on a knife edge. I'm no fan of Southgate & his approach was, is & always will be extremely cautious. He worries about the opposition more than he has them worry about his own team. 

But that came within two mishit penalties of winning the trophy. People should balance their view around his overall approach & decide if it's what they like to see or look forward to more of. No manager has had this quality of young, positive, vibrant, skilful, investive, creative flair than he has at his disposal. Will he ... can he use it ?

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

People should balance their view around his overall approach & decide if it's what they like to see or look forward to more of. No manager has had this quality of young, positive, vibrant, skilful, investive, creative flair than he has at his disposal. Will he ... can he use it ?

To be fair, that's exactly what i took from the article 

The answer might be no 

No harm in using something like the nations league to give it a go, as I think we'll need a little bit more than trying to sit on goal lead to win the WC 

Not for one second criticising GS, the question is where do we go from here to take that next step forward, which i think we're capable of

Although Phillips admittedly didn't do much wrong, I don't think he's a part of us keeping the ball better against the best teams. Virtually always plays the way he faces, no risk passes, even if space behind him. We need someone who passes much better, can create angles in tight spaces. He's a great athlete and aggressive but that isn't enough for me. Rice actually grew on me as the tournament progressed.  One article I read was saying build the team around Bellingham for the WC, tough ask of an 18 yo.

Interesting to see if Grealish goes to City, will Southgate trust him more. 

1 hour ago, Zico said:

To be fair, that's exactly what i took from the article 

The answer might be no 

No harm in using something like the nations league to give it a go, as I think we'll need a little bit more than trying to sit on goal lead to win the WC 

Not for one second criticising GS, the question is where do we go from here to take that next step forward, which i think we're capable of

I read it as more conclusive.

I support that Southgate can & should be asked question of, at present that seems to be treated as sacrilege by many. But he was SO close to achieving his aim he can certainly defend his case.

Anyway, is he capable of making best use of the talent he has at his disposal ? It could well be "no" but we're sure as sure going into the next tournament with him in charge, assuming he wishes to.

Edited by Dr. Feelgood

9 hours ago, jayjayoghani said:

Average high in December in Qatar is 25 degrees. With most games late afternoon and evening, hot weather will not decide the winners. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup#Schedule

First two group games kick off 1pm, 4pm, 7pm, 10pm. 

Final group games & Knockouts 6pm and 10pm.

thats good, I keep reading its hoter than a apple turnover

Although we got to the final, and that was an achievement in itself, i think Southgate as been given an easy ride off the Media with regards to his choosing of the penalty takers, due to the alleged racist issues.. My opinion is he made a monumental cock up choosing Saka firstly, as he as never taken a penalty before in professional football! That cannot be right, whatever he saw in training, and, by the way, im not blaming Saka! Secondly, to allow two players to take a penalty in the biggest game in Englands history, when they hadnt even touched the ball, beggars belief! Every one of the three misses saw the players take the same "stammer" before shooting. That must have been nerves! Again, im not blaming any of the players, i think Southgate as got off lightly!

1 hour ago, Carlos said:

I agree with Woolli, I'm convinved Sterling shit out of it.

Its a sad state of affairs but imagine the fallout (racist or otherwise) if Sterling had missed the decisive pen.

I wouldn't blame any player for not wanting to take the last pen in these days of twitter etc hatred, and if they happen to be one of those players who "divides opinion" and/or isn't white, even more so.

Southgate's choice of Saka for any pen, never mind the last one, beggars belief.

I'm pretty sure Sterling has missed more penalties than he's scored.  I'd not have been fancying him to score if he'd stepped up.

I'd rather Pickford had taken the last one.

Edited by DazBob

9 minutes ago, DazBob said:

I'm pretty sure Sterling has missed more penalties than he's taken.  I'd not have been fancying him to score if he'd stepped up.

I'd rather Pickford had taken the last one.

Apparently he was 6th.