Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

GB News

kent_white

1 hour ago, bolty58 said:

Phoebe Plummer, Shakeel Afsar in recent times. They have been doing this as far as I know right from the very start. I have seen a lot more but I'll be fucked if I can remember who they all were at this moment in time. Don't see the BBC delivering such balanced coverage. Just the woke social democrat angle.

'Watch them all' - yes, the various stations news programmes. Yes, I did see the car crashing at very low speed into the Downing Street gates. Any updates? Looked to me like he might have had a blackout or something. At that speed he didn't seem to have much intent of causing damage?

We agree on CNN and Fox in the US. Part of and possibly the catalyst for the polarisation process which seems to be continuing over there. Civil war coming?

That'd be the Phoebe Plummer who appeared on Newsnightand various other BBC political programmes and the Shakeel Afsar who has been repeatly reported on and question by the local BBC Birmingham coverage? 

It's the other side that don't get on the BBC. Like Holmes, Diamond, Farage, Portillo, Tominey, Oliver, Evans and Fox who have never had a chance to air views on the BBC. Also the Scottish bloke who set it up, who apart from having his own show on the BBC for several years, discussing politics, was never allowed to let any one know his personal views. 

2 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

That'd be the Phoebe Plummer who appeared on Newsnightand various other BBC political programmes and the Shakeel Afsar who has been repeatly reported on and question by the local BBC Birmingham coverage? 

I think Bolty was arguing they are NOT the types you would expect on GB News but you would on BBC, as it is full of lefties.

I have quite a few lefty mates and they argue the BBC has a right wing bias and on QT for instance there are more right wingers than left on the panel. I am quite with the BBC balance when it comes to news.

I do see why people express issues when the 'talent' who express an opinion all seem to be lefties as it could point to a bias elsewhere but when Emily Maitlis talks about the lengths they go to to find people to put both sides of the argument makes me confident they are at least trying. (Not just politics btw the virus was another example.

As mentioned to Bolty I have watched a bit of GB News and find most the stuff pretty bland with the odd programme when for instance you have Tory Ministers interviewing their colleagues it is just bizarre.

Each to their own 

19 minutes ago, Nowack said:

Apart from Question Time, Politics Live, Have I Got News for You. The Today Programme and Jackanory.

I think he meant presenters. Programmes like QT do have such rants on and do feature people out of your list such as Lawrence Fox and Farage. 

41 minutes ago, Nowack said:

It's the other side that don't get on the BBC. Like Holmes, Diamond, Farage, Portillo, Tominey, Oliver, Evans and Fox who have never had a chance to air views on the BBC. Also the Scottish bloke who set it up, who apart from having his own show on the BBC for several years, discussing politics, was never allowed to let any one know his personal views. 

I think more than half the people on your list of ' never had a chance' have appeared on QT 

• Site Supporter
45 minutes ago, Nowack said:

It's the other side that don't get on the BBC. Like Holmes, Diamond, Farage, Portillo, Tominey, Oliver, Evans and Fox who have never had a chance to air views on the BBC. 

You must be taking the piss?

31 minutes ago, Ani said:

I think Bolty was arguing they are NOT the types you would expect on GB News but you would on BBC, as it is full of lefties.

I have quite a few lefty mates and they argue the BBC has a right wing bias and on QT for instance there are more right wingers than left on the panel. I am quite with the BBC balance when it comes to news.

I do see why people express issues when the 'talent' who express an opinion all seem to be lefties as it could point to a bias elsewhere but when Emily Maitlis talks about the lengths they go to to find people to put both sides of the argument makes me confident they are at least trying. (Not just politics btw the virus was another example.

As mentioned to Bolty I have watched a bit of GB News and find most the stuff pretty bland with the odd programme when for instance you have Tory Ministers interviewing their colleagues it is just bizarre.

Each to their own 

Oh righty ho.

Well that makes even less sense. You have people on with differing views to have a balanced discussion on a topic 

The problem the BBC get into is trying to maintain a balance but then by doing so you actually give more credo than its worth to a side of a discussion, which happened all the time during the coverage of say Brexit.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Not in Crawley said:

Oh righty ho.

Well that makes even less sense. You have people on with differing views to have a balanced discussion on a topic 

The problem the BBC get into is trying to maintain a balance but then by doing so you actually give more credo than its worth to a side of a discussion, which happened all the time during the coverage of say Brexit.

Exactly, like having Pascal Lammy on one side and Andrea Leadsom on the other, that does not constitute balance.

56 minutes ago, Nowack said:

Apart from Question Time, Politics Live, Have I Got News for You. The Today Programme and Jackanory.

Yes, you often hear the Today presenters voicing their own opinions as they do their interviews.

Fiona Bruce is oft venting her spleen on the topics of the day during Question Time....

What are you on about?

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Yes, you often hear the Today presenters voicing their own opinions as they do their interviews.

Fiona Bruce is oft venting her spleen on the topics of the day during Question Time....

What are you on about?

Not necessarily related, but I know you're a fellow listener - the News Agents podcast seems to have shifted a bit lately. The haranguing of the Just Stop Oil woman the other day was a bit unnecessary. Asking if she'd support anti-Abortion protestors seemed a bit odd.

28 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Not necessarily related, but I know you're a fellow listener - the News Agents podcast seems to have shifted a bit lately. The haranguing of the Just Stop Oil woman the other day was a bit unnecessary. Asking if she'd support anti-Abortion protestors seemed a bit odd.

I have to say - and I might be being overly sensitive - but it felt like two older blokes ganging up on a younger woman. The tone of it felt a little off rather than just the questions themselves.

33 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

What are you on about?

I hadn't appreciated that this was just about presenters, I`m simply pointing out that the BBC have several programme's in which people from different political spectrums are allowed to vent. Are Plummer and Afsar presenters though?

I couldn't list a long line of people who have appeared on GB News so thought a simple list of presenters who have all appeared on several debating programmes and vented at will would suffice. I would counter as well that GMB which is ITV does allow the presenters to be quite opinionated.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I have to say - and I might be being overly sensitive - but it felt like two older blokes ganging up on a younger woman. The tone of it felt a little off rather than just the questions themselves.

Pretty much how I interpreted it, and was quite disappointed by it really. I don't have particularly strong feelings on either side of the debate about JSO's tactics, but it didn't come across well at all.

7 minutes ago, Nowack said:

I hadn't appreciated that this was just about presenters, I`m simply pointing out that the BBC have several programme's in which people from different political spectrums are allowed to vent. Are Plummer and Afsar presenters though?

I couldn't list a long line of people who have appeared on GB News so thought a simple list of presenters who have all appeared on several debating programmes and vented at will would suffice. I would counter as well that GMB which is ITV does allow the presenters to be quite opinionated.

Then I'm not sure what point you are trying to make then. BBC presenters aren't allowed to voice a political opinion. There are programmes where people with different views are given platforms to discuss their opinions across a range topics.

That's the balance right there.

Who are you saying the BBC doesn't give a platform to?

15 minutes ago, Nowack said:

I am confused, you listed people who you said never get a chance to express views on the BBC but most people on the list have appeared on QT. I said I thought you meant presenters but must have had that wrong so apologies .

Tominey I assume you mean https://knightayton.co.uk/female-presenters/camilla-tominey

it lists on there how much she is on TV and is a regular on QT.

Farage has been on multiple time and is the most regular panellist they have had on there of the big hitters. 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Question_Time_episodes

Edited by Ani

1 minute ago, Cheese said:

Pretty much how I interpreted it, and was quite disappointed by it really. I don't have particularly strong feelings on either side of the debate about JSO's tactics, but it didn't come across well at all.

Yes it was a shame because its one of the best podcasts around, but it seemed as though they both felt a little too pleased with themselves, strange considering as seasoned commentators they must have known what it would come across like. They need Maitlis back from her holiday.

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Yes it was a shame because its one of the best podcasts around, but it seemed as though they both felt a little too pleased with themselves, strange considering as seasoned commentators they must have known what it would come across like. They need Maitlis back from her holiday.

Didn't realise she'd taken a break. Makes more sense.

22 minutes ago, Ani said:

I am confused, you listed people who you said never get a chance to express views on the BBC but most people on the list have appeared on QT. I said I thought you meant presenters but must have had that wrong so apologies .

Tominey I assume you mean https://knightayton.co.uk/female-presenters/camilla-tominey

it lists on there how much she is on TV and is a regular on QT.

Farage has been on multiple time and is the most regular panellist they have had on there of the big hitters. 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Question_Time_episodes

I think my irony has been a little too subtle. I purposely didn't list Wooten as I cannot think of anything he has been on, maybe Loose Women. They have opinions as well.

25 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Then I'm not sure what point you are trying to make then. BBC presenters aren't allowed to voice a political opinion. There are programmes where people with different views are given platforms to discuss their opinions across a range topics.

That's the balance right there.

Who are you saying the BBC doesn't give a platform to?

I am not, exactly the opposite in fact.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Not much better now she's back. "Rishi Sunak is basically a breath of fresh air, because he's far too rich to be corrupted". Fuck me. I'll probably give it a miss from now on.

2 hours ago, Nowack said:

I think my irony has been a little too subtle. I purposely didn't list Wooten as I cannot think of anything he has been on, maybe Loose Women. They have opinions as well.

FFS can we keep thinks linear, no chance if you Chuck irony in !! 😂👍

2 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Not much better now she's back. "Rishi Sunak is basically a breath of fresh air, because he's far too rich to be corrupted". Fuck me. I'll probably give it a miss from now on.

I thought that was the questions that were posed rather than a statement of fact. Dunno, seemed pretty ok to me?