Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Derby

Rudy

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

HTF Blackburn keep rolling on god knows, the venkys must of put in tens of millions, look at Rovers crowds, they can only dream of crowds like ours today, same at PNE, Wigan and even Burnley. Always said it we are far and away the biggest town club in Lancashire. 

I’m not having it. Burnley, Blackburn & PNE won’t look at our crowd today with jealousy.  They’ll decide, well done the 12-13 thousand regulars but the rest have almost been given their ticket.

I get that certainly in Blackburn’s and PNE’s cases, they would love to have our normal numbers but let’s not get giddy about folk turning out at £5 & £10 per ticket. The next home game will be the measure, not this one. Especially if we remain unbeaten at Sunderland next week and Charlton a week Tuesday.

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

. Always said it we are far and away the biggest town club in Lancashire. 

I agree, but it's still a bit of a "tallest dwarf" type competition in reality. We do have the larger attendances, but they're still a bit shit generally

they paid 5mill for jacob butterfield. 

i'm sure theirs others. 

they paid a lot for tom ince, but amazingly doubled their money on him. 

seemed to spend a lot on one season wonders, it not work out, then give them frees when their contracts run down. 

Wycombe chairman saying he is going to sue Derby / EFL for wrongly avoiding a points deduction last season for 'accounting irregularities' if, as now seems likely, points for this are going to be added to the -12 points for impending Administration. Speculation that this will be a minimum of four points for the irregularities, up to the full nine. Wycombe were relegated by just one point.

As many pointed out at the time it was just unfair that Derby merely had the points deduction commuted to a fine of £100k and deferred to a later date (which now won't be paid as Derby are going into Admin). The whole thing stinks to high heaven and I hope Wycombe get some sort of belated justice, whatever that can be.

One almighty fuck up from EFL as per. The difference in revenue between the Championship and L1 is being quoted at the  £10m mark.

4 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

What do they think they stand to gain from litigating against a business that’s in admin? That would be my thought process. 

yes it’s shit what’s happened but it seems a futile exercise and I would be amazed if they go through with it. 

You're probably right. Absolutely stinks how the EFL seemed to go out of their way to get Derby to avoid a points deduction though

• Site Supporter
30 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

What do they think they stand to gain from litigating against a business that’s in admin? That would be my thought process. 

yes it’s shit what’s happened but it seems a futile exercise and I would be amazed if they go through with it. 

If they're going after the efl though, then a different matter. I suppose the argument is that it is the efl who haven't done their bit at the right time. In that regard it's not Derby's fault.

Whether they have a case though..

• Members
35 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I’d be suing the EFL

Bassini is probably their lawyer on retainer

29 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I’d be suing the EFL

Bassini is probably their lawyer on retainer

How many times to your knowledge has anyone successfully sued the football league in its varying organizational states? 

I said at the time that letting derby stay up last season was a disgrace. We all knew what was coming in terms of a points deduction. 

but I can’t see them getting any mileage out of it.  But if you don’t try you don’t win anything I guess 

To loudly agree with all the above the deferment of the punishment last season, getting less of a punishment than Sheff. Wed for the very same offence, the footdragging designed to keep them up & consequently send Wycombe down was an outrageous manipulation by the EFL & I hope Wycombe do sue and win.

But they won't.

Something nasty in the woodshed has gone on there.

It's not just protecting the big club with history coz they did Sheffield well enough.

• Members
3 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

To loudly agree with all the above the deferment of the punishment last season, getting less of a punishment than Sheff. Wed for the very same offence, the footdragging designed to keep them up & consequently send Wycombe down was an outrageous manipulation by the EFL & I hope Wycombe do sue and win.

But they won't.

Something nasty in the woodshed has gone on there.

It's not just protecting the big club with history coz they did Sheffield well enough.

It needs a panorama 

On 18/09/2021 at 10:20, MickyD said:

I’m not having it. Burnley, Blackburn & PNE won’t look at our crowd today with jealousy.  They’ll decide, well done the 12-13 thousand regulars but the rest have almost been given their ticket.

I get that certainly in Blackburn’s and PNE’s cases, they would love to have our normal numbers but let’s not get giddy about folk turning out at £5 & £10 per ticket. The next home game will be the measure, not this one. Especially if we remain unbeaten at Sunderland next week and Charlton a week Tuesday.

Saturday shows there's the appetite at the right price...

Not everyone can commit to season tickets, for numerous reasons.

Say a couple with two teen kids or two lapsed blokes with a teen kid apiece somehow, inexplicably, got the taste on Saturday and look into Shrewsbury...

£80 for the four on tickets alone.

£15 on the bus or train for the four.

And say the bare minimum of a H/T pint for the adults and pie/soft drink for the teens you've not much change from £20.

So all in £115 quid for a bare bones jaunt to watch a Division Three match on a two adult/two teens basis.

But game by game has to be pro-rata so much more expensive than season tickets because owd buggers will moan 'why bother getting an S/T?' then in the next breath moan about crowds.

Some lapsed fans are never to return, I offered to pay for a ticket, transport and the first couple of rounds on Saturday to one, he wasn't Interested in the slightest.

But I doubt we'll tempt many back who paid £40 max for four tickets on Saturday with a 100% increase back to 'normal' for Shrewsbury.

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Next generation..

Anyway, Saturday would have been a bit of a shit atmosphere irrespective of numbers. A disappointment all round. 

Yes its a struggle to remember a game in the last 40 years when we were 2-0 down at half time, never looked like pulling a goal back in the 2nd half, and everyone came off saying "what a cracking atmosphere". 

17 hours ago, gonzo said:

Id rather the day trippers stay at home.

Moaning cunts make it too busy and the atmosphere shitter than normal.

14 hours ago, Traf said:

When you get a load of day trippers it dilutes the atmosphere without doubt.

But I'm all for trying to get more folk in, but they should have all been in the South Lower.

'Atmosphere' doesn't pay bills/wages...

If you want Atmosphere get them to run out to this (do not, I repeat NOT get it mixed up with the Joy Division song...Nice jumper and Syrup, Russ, Cabrini perchance?)