Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Derby

Rudy

Just signed Barkhuizen this afternoon. So they perhaps won't be fielding kids and getting slapped 5-0 everywhere come August.

But it'll still be sold like no-one has had it worse than them.

Edited by Marc505

• Site Supporter

I'd like to think if we offered a deal to him, we had removed it.

He was obviously hanging on for Derby so not welcome with us.

I love the look of our squad, when you see the 2 sides we've put out this pre-season, it's strong.

No idea who these players are but I'd like at least 1 Keiron Lee/Bod type though. Lost their way a bit but got an obvious talent and up for the project

3 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

I'd like to think if we offered a deal to him, we had removed it.

He was obviously hanging on for Derby so not welcome with us.

I love the look of our squad, when you see the 2 sides we've put out this pre-season, it's strong.

No idea who these players are but I'd like at least 1 Keiron Lee/Bod type though. Lost their way a bit but got an obvious talent and up for the project

I agree about the squad I like the look of it and I think we're strong especially in midfield. 

Iles mentioned on his podcast that he thinks Evatt might be looking for some more pace to bring in up front and another defender.

I'm excited for this season and think we'll go well. Probably going to end up going far into the pizza cup as well I reckon.

Oddly I’m glad they don’t have to do

what we did as it was embarrassing. I’d not wanna win a game like that. 

Barkhauzen was rumoured to be offered 10k if I recall on here. He was always gonna wait for that offer.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Marc505 said:

Just signed Barkhuizen this afternoon. So they perhaps won't be fielding kids and getting slapped 5-0 everywhere come August.

But it'll still be sold like no-one has had it worse than them.

They won’t get their act together for a while.

They’ll have a shock in this league, especially when they play against us.

I think that they can write this season off and go for it next year.

7 minutes ago, Steejay said:

They won’t get their act together for a while.

They’ll have a shock in this league, especially when they play against us.

I think that they can write this season off and go for it next year.

I hope they're at least a season off, but they have made 3 first team and some other academy signings on the same day today 

24 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

I'd love to see this 'business plan' the EFL are holding Derby's feet to the flames on.

If it includes £10k pw contracts it's not very stringent. 

I suppose it depends on the terms of their exiting administration.

I imagine it also helps that their average attendance is around 25,000.

49 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

I'd love to see this 'business plan' the EFL are holding Derby's feet to the flames on.

If it includes £10k pw contracts it's not very stringent. 

The big difference they have over us is that they have re paid football creditors upfront so probably a bit more leeway. 
But imagine they will have a total player budget of £Xm to cover wages/bonuses rather than a max per player. The other thing is their new owners are not football people so can see them over committing in some areas and having nothing left like when you pick a fantasy football team and up with 3 reserve Brentford defenders. 
Plus they are 3-4 weeks behind on pre season already. 

Edited by Ani

5 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I suppose it depends on the terms of their exiting administration.

I imagine it also helps that their average attendance is around 25,000.

Their season tickets aren't on sale yet, understandably.  The delay and lack of early purchase offers probably won't help with numbers unless they are dirt cheap, which is unlikely if they need to get money in the coffers. 

16 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Their season tickets aren't on sale yet, understandably.  The delay and lack of early purchase offers probably won't help with numbers unless they are dirt cheap, which is unlikely if they need to get money in the coffers. 

They’ll get a big swell of support. I know a few and they are confident.

1 hour ago, tomski said:

They’ll get a big swell of support. I know a few and they are confident.

I read a few saying they would only be able to get to half the games or whatever (living away) but would get a S/T just to put money in the club.  As happened here to an extent when we were so grateful to be still have a club.  They'll sell loads of S/Ts but will have plenty empty seats especially for night matches, as is normal in the EFL.

They just lost a ruck of young players,

It looks like there was poor contract management during the last 6 months and many signed pre contracts with other clubs.

One, Lee Buchanan, to a German club. The Administrators had rated at £15m. He's gone for £400k. The club are trying to claim they had extension rights.

Administration is a costly experience.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-festy-ebosele-transfers-7288726

5 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

They just lost a ruck of young players,

It looks like there was poor contract management during the last 6 months and many signed pre contracts with other clubs.

One, Lee Buchanan, to a German club. The Administrators had rated at £15m. He's gone for £400k. The club are trying to claim they had extension rights.

Administration is a costly experience.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-festy-ebosele-transfers-7288726

Not sure it was poor contract management. I’d just assume they couldn’t offer and players didn’t wanna sign.

The plan, which has been jointly agreed by the new ownership and the EFL, includes restrictions in respect of transfers fees, player wages and agents’ fees. Any application to register players must comply with the terms of those agreed plans. 

That bit from the EFL is interesting, as I am betting these players that are signing, are doing so for a couple of grand a week, and their agents won't be getting involved for nothing

Leave them to it. Paying big money for (relative) big names doesn't always doesn't work out, especially when signing practically a full squad of players at short notice.

Often the clubs that diligently build a squad over a couple of seasons and bed them are the ones that end up being the most successful.

I'm not claiming that will be us necessarily, I just mean it generally.