Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Derby

Rudy

Didn't Sunderland spend every summer for years signing known players on decent money, and it never worked.

It has a touch of 'win now' about it where the only goal is promotion this season and they'll deal with next year when it comes. It only works if promotion happens. They'll be one of about 8 teams with realistic aims of promotion its not easy 

11 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

Didn't Sunderland spend every summer for years signing known players on decent money, and it never worked.

It has a touch of 'win now' about it where the only goal is promotion this season and they'll deal with next year when it comes. It only works if promotion happens. They'll be one of about 8 teams with realistic aims of promotion its not easy 

It definitely looks a bit like 'shit or bust' to me. I hope they fail spectacularly 

2 hours ago, frank_spencer said:

Which is what they've been doing for the last decade or so trying to get into the prem.

And look how that went.

Fuck 'em, hope they keep sinking.

4 hours ago, Arrested development said:

Good players but most of them are 30+ and will be on big wages. Prefer our approach. 

Last good payday for most of them, 2 weeks pre-season training missed, unproven manager. They should stay up after a decent start followed by a gradual slide down the table.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, frank_spencer said:

It has a touch of 'win now' about it where the only goal is promotion this season and they'll deal with next year when it comes. 

That's been their approach for years and fair to say it's not worked out

10 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

McGoldrick is a beast of a player, some good signings tbf 

Agreed.  We were linked with him when he left Ipswich 4 years ago and I remember plenty of fans saying he was either not good enough or too old.  120 odd games later for Sheff U....doesn't score loads but a really clever player.

No team can guarantee to go up but anyone with half decent quality will be top half coz there's some very poor teams in the rest of the division; clearly Derby are going to be competing in the top half.

• Site Supporter

McGoldrick was a decent player but he’s nearly 35 and only played about 20 games last year. Scored 2.

Only one that I’d have is Hourihane, the rest of them are well past their best. I think they’ll have a shock next year in this division if they think it’ll be a piece of piss.

16 minutes ago, tomski said:

Might just be me but I don’t think the signings are that great.

It sort of feels like those years, where we picked up older experienced players when we were in the old division, and it failed...forcing us to rebuild with at first Phil neal, and then more successfully under bruce

Edited by Wullie

Mostly solid, experienced, proven Championship players. Mostly a bit older than modern thinking would advise.

Not much wrong with any of them &, if they click, could be a good group. But, as pointed out here, that's not a guarentee.

Big wages & I'm suspicious of this spending. If it DOES work & they are promoted they'll have to replace the lot of them this time next year.

Really hope steadily building a team with a wage structure and eye for young talent ,decent scouting etc trumps a club coming out of admin chucking daft wages at over 30's players looking for one last pay day. Sure it will in long term but Derby could do it this season. Hoping though some of the top teams in this division including us give them a rude awakening

Not sure how daft the wages can be under the EFL limits that have been placed on them, but certainly prefer our method for now, seems sustainable. But maybe Derby will look to that sort of model in future and right now don't have much time to put that in place so are just signing the best players they can get for this level.

8 hours ago, Mantra said:

Not sure how daft the wages can be under the EFL limits that have been placed on them, but certainly prefer our method for now, seems sustainable. But maybe Derby will look to that sort of model in future and right now don't have much time to put that in place so are just signing the best players they can get for this level.

apparently they have a £8k per week cap. Daresay they will be getting round it with bonuses too.

my source is a Derby fan on Facebook - would not be totally reliant on this as a fact.  

• Site Supporter

Hourihane and McGoldrick will still do a job at this level but not in the slightest bit worried about the rest.

They’ll start badly, have a good middle of the season and run out of legs and fade towards the end.

Said before, last seasons Ipswich.

On 07/07/2022 at 12:25, tomski said:

Might just be me but I don’t think the signings are that great.

I agree tomski, can’t really say I’d want any of them here instead of what we’ve got. They’ve dropped down for the money and I’d much rather have players on the way up than down. I’m not denying they’re decent players but not the ones I’d have signed and I don’t think they’ll be enough to get them promoted.

Edited by Whitesince63